Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Off The Grill !

Grilling up some marinated flank steak from Costco tonight. It is so damn good. If you're a fajita person, you'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Grilling up some marinated flank steak from Costco tonight. It is so damn good. If you're a fajita person, you'll love it.
    Sounds great. Do you make or buy your marinate? If you buy it ready bottled, what do you purchase? If you make your own, would you be willing to share your recipe?

Had a great 4th of July with my Brother and his family. I arrived with beer, ice cream, a cherry pie, and a watermelon. I was expecting burgers, but was surprised to find find that my brother had been slow smoking Ribs sense early that morning. Wow, they were fantastic! Baked Beans and Corn on the Cob were also served. It was a fine gathering and enjoyed by all.

Currently have some sirloin steack marinating in a steak reccado, which is 1 onion and 3 cloves of garlic lightly browned in 1/4 cup canola oil. tehn after cooling add 2 tblsp oregeno, 3 tbsp parsley, 2 tsp kosher salt, 2 tsp ground pepper, 1 tsp cumin, 1/8th tsp ground cloves, 1/4 cup vinager, 1/4 cup lime juice, and 1 tsp of something i cant remember right now... sorry.
    doing a black bean, with mushroom peppers corn carrots peas cabbage side salad (im finishing the beans with zesty italian so doesn't need any more sauce) and then rice belive it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Currently have some sirloin steack marinating in a steak reccado, which is 1 onion and 3 cloves of garlic lightly browned in 1/4 cup canola oil. tehn after cooling add 2 tblsp oregeno, 3 tbsp parsley, 2 tsp kosher salt, 2 tsp ground pepper, 1 tsp cumin, 1/8th tsp ground cloves, 1/4 cup vinager, 1/4 cup lime juice, and 1 tsp of something i cant remember right now... sorry.
    doing a black bean, with mushroom peppers corn carrots peas cabbage side salad (im finishing the beans with zesty italian so doesn't need any more sauce) and then rice belive it or not...
    Wow !!! What time is Dinner?

Im stuck here for another 1 1/2 hrs, then drive to my place, a short 30 hr commute if you live in Virginia. It might get cold, sorry.

Two pages of thread on grilling, and not a single mention of brats??? WTHH???

Anyone parboil them before grilling?? I've had buddies fire up brats in a cast iron skillet with beer and onions while the grill is heating. The grill is only for putting grill marks on the brat. And, yeah....the accompaniment is stone-ground mustard with a little sauerkraut with caraway. And a Crown Royal Regal Apple Mule.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Iron Mike,

Your Brats sound fantastic, but I prefer ice cold beer instead. Also as filling as it sounds, I believe I would also serve a pasta or potato salad as a side dish. I too love sauerkraut on All Beef Hot Dogs and at times as a side dish on it's own.

Now, do you have a good chili recipe that you can share?

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

Anyone parboil them before grilling?? I've had buddies fire up brats in a cast iron skillet with beer and onions while the grill is heating. The grill is only for putting grill marks on the brat. And, yeah....the accompaniment is stone-ground mustard with a little sauerkraut with caraway. And a Crown Royal Regal Apple Mule.
    I find parboiling dries them out and leaves the skin soggy. Grilling on a low temp with frequent rotation develops a nice brown, crisp skin with no drying. Brats, beer, corn and grilled vegetables.

Mike, Caraway seed in th e sauerkraut? or a paste?

I never really cook with caraway, but now will.

So tonight my 15 year old is doing salmon. Having the left over black eyed peas and rice. I made it like I made my wiskey last night, extra large.

My curiosity is wanting to ask, what is the most exotic meat / vegetable that you have had the honor to prepare?

For me exotic would be rabbit or bear or shark. Vegetables might include grilling bananas or avocados or mangos. I never have had such things and I wonder about what grilled snake or buffalo is like.

If you have a tale to tell, please share it with us here.

THANKS !

As much as I enjoy grilling, there are times when it becomes just too hot to hang out at the grill. At such times it is most enjoyable remain indoors with the air conditioning, but we can still enjoy some very tasty meals.

Without a lot of heating up the kitchen, what I call Cold Serve meals fit just perfectly. Recipes not included, here are some of my Cold Serve favorites.

Tuna Salad, Ham Salad, Chicken Salad, Egg Salad, Pasta Salad, Potato Salad, Three Bean Salad, Deviled Eggs, A Cold Cut Platter, A Chef Salad, A Garden Salad, A Greek Salad, A Caesar Salad, Cole Slaw, Cucumbers & Onions in Vinegar, Cold Sliced Beets in Vinegar, Vegetable trays with assorted dips/spreads, Fresh Sliced Pineapple, Cubed Watermelon, Strawberries, and Jello.

This is just a sample of the sort of enjoyable hot weather fare that many enjoy. Crackers, Chips, Assorted Beverages, Pickles, and more are also interchangeable. Some dishes take some pre-planning to enjoy, but none are overly difficult. Consider what you need to get from the grocery store ahead of time and all should go well. Mayonnaise, Pickle Relish, Vinegar,Salad Dressings, and fresh Veggies are a few of the supplies that are good to have on hand

What are your Cold Serve favorites?

Want to share one or more of your recipes, then please do so. Recipes for most can be found on line, but I and others will be happy to share, just ask.

Mike, Caraway seed in th e sauerkraut? or a paste?

I never really cook with caraway, but now will.
    You used to be able to buy it like so:

https://www.foodsco.net/p/bush-s-bes.../0003940001235

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    My curiosity is wanting to ask, what is the most exotic meat / vegetable that you have had the honor to prepare?

For me exotic would be rabbit or bear or shark. Vegetables might include grilling bananas or avocados or mangos. I never have had such things and I wonder about what grilled snake or buffalo is like.

If you have a tale to tell, please share it with us here.

THANKS !
    My ex-wife used to like swordfish when I'd grill shish kebabs. I'd usually marinate in Italian dressing, but here's a recipe:

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zesty-swordfish-kabobs

My ex-wife used to like swordfish when I'd grill shish kebabs. I'd usually marinate in Italian dressing, but here's a recipe:

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zesty-swordfish-kabobs

What no Moose Steaks or Grilled Goose? LOL

Good job and keep those ideas/stories coming !

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

Does anyone know a good Bourbon based, homemade Steak/London Broil marinade? I love the flavor but I believe that a homemade bourbon based marinade would be better than a store bought one.

I could look on line, but often it's that unpublished private recipe that just outdoes all the rest.

Also looking for Chili and Baked Bean recipes as well !!! Maybe one for Bourbon Baked Beans,
    WOW !

My go to on bbq is Steven raichlen.

Currently have a chicken split into 4 pieces with a sweet chili sauce on the grill. The chicken was alive on our farm 3 hours ago.

My go to on bbq is Steven raichlen.

Currently have a chicken split into 4 pieces with a sweet chili sauce on the grill. The chicken was alive on our farm 3 hours ago.

Chicken don't get any fresher than that. As for Steven Raichlen, I was unfamiliar with him, but you have expanded my knowledge. I'll be looking into him more for new taste ideas.

I came across a great slow cooker recipe for chicken breast, very basic with Chicken broth and butter as the base ingredients. With additional spices for flavor, it should cook for 6 hours and be moist, tender, and flavorful. I plan to try it this fall.

Speaking of chicken, I plan to visit a nearby Bojangles Restaurant for a special lunch/dinner around 4pm Sunday. A treat that I try to enjoy at lest twice a year.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hellz yeah!!! I saw them done that way when I went to GB and that is the only was I make em. Soaks the flavor up better then going straight on the grill and letting and the juices run out.

You got the brass cups for the mule?

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If all you masterchef wannabes' steaks are so damn good get down with salt and pepper only! Make it about how it was cooked/technique not how many hipster ingredients you can use.

I have a newer gas grill and an old skool smoker I use for wood (not chips, logs). Pecan smoke is the shit on a pork shoulder with garlic chucks embedded in it and some rub. I start in the morning and 8-10 hours later it is heaven on Earth. I used it to make tamales one year and the reviews where off the charts!

Do you mofos cooks tri-tips outside of Cali? I have heard it is considered a low cut of beef but very popular here.