Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Off The Grill !

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    All I ever use is salt and pepper on steak. Let the steak speak for itself.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

My brother's gas grill is on it's last legs and I fully expect that he will replace it soon. Another full size one with a separate burner and I expect before Labor Day arrives. He has been using a Brinkman, but may try another brand.

What gas grills, smokers, charcoal grills do you all recommend and why ?

That's what I call getting busy with it !

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    Two pages of thread on grilling, and not a single mention of brats??? WTHH???

Anyone parboil them before grilling?? I've had buddies fire up brats in a cast iron skillet with beer and onions while the grill is heating. The grill is only for putting grill marks on the brat. And, yeah....the accompaniment is stone-ground mustard with a little sauerkraut with caraway. And a Crown Royal Regal Apple Mule.

To me parboil leaves them mushy and not that flavorful. With all the stuff you put on it, it probably makes no difference. I prefer to just throw them on the grill (not too hot) and put them on a bun with nothing else. Gives a strong, sharp flavor and a texture that can never be confused with a hot dog.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    My brother's gas grill is on it's last legs and I fully expect that he will replace it soon. Another full size one with a separate burner and I expect before Labor Day arrives. He has been using a Brinkman, but may try another brand.

What gas grills, smokers, charcoal grills do you all recommend and why ?

I got a CharBroil last year and am very happy with it. It's a smaller one so I can't say how the larger ones are, and I don't know about durability yet. It cooks fairly even across the whole surface, and it actually has folding sides so it fits in my garage when not in use.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    To me parboil leaves them mushy and not that flavorful. With all the stuff you put on it, it probably makes no difference. I prefer to just throw them on the grill (not too hot) and put them on a bun with nothing else. Gives a strong, sharp flavor and a texture that can never be confused with a hot dog.
    Yup, me too. I "tend" them on the grill carefully, to get them thoroughly browned all around without rupturing the casing. I roll them frequently and almost continuously at the end. If you can prevent them from bursting open, or at least delay it from happening until very near the end, you eliminate grease flareups, and keep them deliciously juicy.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post

I don't see any wrong answers on the parboil method. Some say that boiling in beer prior to grilling adds flavor and removes some of the grease. I've tried both methods and find that each has it's good points. That said, let's take a short look at Sauerkraut, fried Onions/Green Peppers, and the like.

I love Sauerkraut on Brats and on all beef Hot Dogs too. It is also a great side dish for Kielbasa as well. Sauteed Onions (in butter) I love with everything.What type of onion do you prefer? Yellow, sweet, white, or other? I have a problem with the Green Peppers though, as they give me gas in the extreme. The taste great, but they don't agree with me.

Mustard/s are yet another area for discussion. I like most, however I'm not a fan of hot mustards.

I am a fan of ice cold beer with Brats and Hot Dogs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Yup, me too. I "tend" them on the grill carefully, to get them thoroughly browned all around without rupturing the casing. I roll them frequently and almost continuously at the end. If you can prevent them from bursting open, or at least delay it from happening until very near the end, you eliminate grease flareups, and keep them deliciously juicy.
    My grill has an upper rack. That's where I always grill sausages, as well as portabella and veggie burgers. I put them on the rack right after I start the grill. That way I can grill other things on the main level when the grill gets to 350 and never burn/char/pop the brats.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    My grill has an upper rack. That's where I always grill sausages, as well as portabella and veggie burgers. I put them on the rack right after I start the grill. That way I can grill other things on the main level when the grill gets to 350 and never burn/char/pop the brats.
    Look at the rack on that girl...errr....grill! I think I might pop my brat.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

A great weekend to fire up the grill. I'll be purchasing supplies at one of my local grocery stores today. I'm ready to buy beef today, but not a steak or brisket. I'm thinking of getting a high grade of Hamburger, adding salt, pepper, and a few finely chopped onions, and making up some Hamburger Steaks for my grill. Additionally, using beef broth and more onions and flower to make some Gravy to place my grilled steaks in to soak for 1 to 2 hours on a medium/low heat. White Rice, Country Biscuits, a garden salad should nearly complete the meal. I like Iced Tea, so I'll be brewing up some and get it chilling today.

That good of a meal deserves a desert, but I'll be too full for ice cream or cream pie.

All right sports fans there is a football game tonight. The HOF Game.

To celebrate, today I'll be getting prepared for the game with a good meal. Falcons vs Broncos, horse meat is out of the question as is falcon, but chicken will serve as as fine substitute. My local grocer makes / sells great Fried Chicken and also sells a killer Potato Salad. Add fresh baked Biscuits with Honey along with ice cold beer and oh yeah baby.
    I'm a breast man so two should serve me just right.

Enjoy the game !

My brother and I recently spoke, and he is currently looking into buying a new grill. He told me that Stainless Steel may in the equation as rust will not be a problem. He can afford the very best and most likely will get something world class.

Know about gas grills or a great grilling method or have a super great recipe, then please share it here.

Thanks

A Bacon Cheeseburger with Onion Rings !

A feast for a King !

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post

A Bacon Cheeseburger with Onion Rings !

A feast for a King !

Encore

Let's take a moment to talk about grilling Chicken. There are many good methods. Ranging from marinating to dry rubs to all of the huge variety of Bar-B-Q sauces, the grilling method is pretty much a personal choice.

Many only grill the breast fillets and others prefer to cook all of the parts. Still others may have a motorized rotisserie that can deliver a feast for the gods. Smokers too offer up a way to prepare up a savory Chicken, Duck, Turkey, or other poultry delights.

I just love a good Rice Dish with poultry. Many fine ingredients can turn plain rice into a special treat. Sliced Almonds to Water Chestnuts to Mushrooms to chopped onions or peppers, rice can offer a way to be creative and serve a new flavor sensation to your table. Ton's of great easy rice recipes are out there, so go for it !

For me, Great Bread can be the special element that completes a great meal. I just love Sourdough rolls or freshly baked Country Style Buttermilk Biscuits with real butter and maybe some honey too. You get the idea.

So what beverage goes best with a great poultry feast? Some keep it simple with Ice Water, others like Ice Tea or Cold Beer or a nice glass of Wine. I like a glass of Burgundy Wine, but again it's another personal preference.

The only thing holding many of you back is a trip to the store. Share your grilling ideas here or post up a photo of your grill/table soon.

you should add that to the Wiki page.

Also, add Stubb's https://www.stubbsbbq.com.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Mrs Patler likes it when I spatchcock the bird.

Sauers, a local Richmond company, makes as a part of their product line, a very good Bar-B-Que sauce. I don't know the range of it's distribution, but if you can find it in your local grocery store, I recommend to all to give it a try. It is a great sauce/marinate (especially with chicken). I like to combine Sauers Barbecue sauce, 1 to 1, with another thicker sauce like Krafts Original or Sweet Baby Rays or even a Bourbon flavored barbeque sauce. I prefer to marinate my chicken with the combination sauce for not less than 90 minutes (overnight if time permits), before grilling. This sauce combination is a product of decades of careful consideration and has been proven to be a favorite at cookouts with family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Mrs Patler likes it when I spatchcock the bird.
    watch your language, mister.

Pre-spatchcock, chickens were noticeably smaller and but they were juicier. Consider this variety from 1977.