Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Off The Grill !

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Damn that’s a nice red snapper. Is that you?

Whole fish except for the guts and most of the scales scraped off.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Went ocean fishing (Santa Cruz area) with my son 2 weeks ago. Had a decent hall and next day grilled the rock cods we caught whole. Just salt and pepper and tangerine slices inside where the guts had been. Started them direct to get nice lines then wrapped in foil to keep them hot until serving.
    Sounds delicious. Next time in Cruz hit up Palomar for tacos. So damn good. Even for a native like yourself you'll love 'em.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    This is the key for me. I admire your initiative but the whole enterprise just sounds so goddamned complicated, messy, and time consuming. I guess if I didn't have to work 10 hours and then come home to kids running amok, I might be able to envision something like this. But there would have to be a payoff. Is the taste of the well done homemade brat significantly better than a good brat from the local butchers?
    There is nothing stopping the local butchers from making exactly what I make, but I've not had it. Butchers are a bit of a culinary silo. Like all good cooking the devil is in the details and I could probably give 10 different butchers the same recipe and get 10 different things back. Hence my verbose recipe that gives all the technique and thought. But to answer your question if you're satisfied with your butcher's brats and lack whatever autism makes someone focus on incrementally improving standard comfort fare, no its not worth getting into sausage just for brats. You at least need to make Italian sausage too.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    There is nothing stopping the local butchers from making exactly what I make, but I've not had it. Butchers are a bit of a culinary silo. Like all good cooking the devil is in the details and I could probably give 10 different butchers the same recipe and get 10 different things back. Hence my verbose recipe that gives all the technique and thought. But to answer your question if you're satisfied with your butcher's brats and lack whatever autism makes someone focus on incrementally improving standard comfort fare, no its not worth getting into sausage just for brats. You at least need to make Italian sausage too.

I'll bet your neighbor/neighbors love you. The cooking smells alone must be incredible.Were I you and had enough to share, I'd invite the close by neighbors over for a feast. You supply your awesome meats and they could bring everything else from baked beans to cake to beverages. A Fall Feast to remember! Talk about a great community gathering other than clearing snow or trees.

Damn that’s a nice red snapper. Is that you?

Whole fish except for the guts and most of the scales scraped off.
    Nah, stock photo selected for the fish eyes.

In other words, to each his own perversion. I can drink to that.

hoosier, I don't recall you boasting about any of your culinary skills. PB & J sandwiches don't count either.

I don't have the time I used to have to spend on cooking. In my world, anything that takes more than 30 minutes to prepare (maybe an hour on a weekend) is just an invitation to mutiny. On the rare occasion when I do get to do something serious, the last thing in the world I want to do is take a photo of it or talk about it.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Cmon Hoosier. Get with the program. Start using exchange-o-gram.

Whenever I see that thing referenced I think of that bizarre scene from Blazing Saddles: "Candygram for Mongo!"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ciVBQixpU

Hungry ?

Pass the beer please !

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ^^^. Sausage is over baked.

Blog Entries
    Have grilled pork chops been mentioned?

Have grilled pork chops been mentioned?
    They have now ! Sounds fantastic !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    They have now ! Sounds fantastic !
    I tend to use gas on them dues to the even heat. Made some inch thick ones last night with chipotle rub.

I tend to use gas on them dues to the even heat. Made some inch thick ones last night with chipotle rub.
    Have you ever split and stuffed your pork chops? It opens a lot of doors ! Oh Yea Baby.

Blog Entries
    That sounds fucking great. I am into combining shit so it works.
    When I grill the thick pork chops I start with med-high heat until they look fully cooked outside. But they are not and once the color is right I sealed them stacked all together is one large piece of foil. I leave lots of air space inside. From there they stay on the grill low heat while I get the sides ready in the house. This makes it so that they are juicy all the way thru not just the middle. Plus I know it reaches the heat level needed to be safe.

I’m going to use your stuffed idea with this method. Thinking mushroom, red peppers, and Muenster.

When done you can bite all the way through them like nada.

When I grill the thick pork chops I start with med-high heat until they look fully cooked outside. But they are not and once the color is right I sealed them stacked all together is one large piece of foil. I leave lots of air space inside. From there they stay on the grill low heat while I get the sides ready in the house. This makes it so that they are juicy all the way thru not just the middle. Plus I know it reaches the heat level needed to be safe.

I’m going to use your stuffed idea with this method. Thinking mushroom, red peppers, and Muenster.

Wow, that sounds awesome baby !

Try spinach, garlic and goat cheese. I make a pork loin roll with that and it’s fantastic. Cherry and red wine sauce over the top.
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Blog Entries
    I just Patlerized some brats/sausage (Italian style to be used with pasta). I also did some brats that same way about two weeks ago. There is some merit to it. The flavor and the texture are different. More flavor for sure.