Thread: Homebrewing

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar

Homebrewing

I am just starting out making wine at home. Luckily I have a great store nearby that stocks everything I need. I got a kit that included all the equipment that I would need and I got a moderately priced Merlot to start out with.

Currently I'm in the clarifying stage for the wine so I'll be able to bottle in about a week. Anyone done any homebrewing that can give me any tips?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Many decades ago, my brother and I got together and made a 5 gal jug 3/4 full with wine we made from concord grapes grown in our family's yard. We cleaned and we squeezed and purchased all of the necessary yeast and equipment to ferment it. We planned to go and buy new bottles and corks to store it in. We fermented it in the 5 gal water jug that we placed in the attached garage as the smell offended our mother. He and I both kept watch over the process and before that Christmas we sampled it, and though strong, it was very good. The Holidays ended and my brother went back to college. I went to check on the wine and discovered it was missing. Later I found out that my brother threw a party at his fraternity with it.
    To this day I still shame him with this story and in front of as many as I can gather to listen.

Use new bottles and don't trust anyone.

My brother-in-law has made wine for 50 years, using just about any fruit or berry you can think of. He approaches it much like canning, sterilizing and reusing everything he can. He does buy new corks. Sometimes it is good, sometimes not so much!