Thread: Preparing for the Hurricane

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

Preparing for the Hurricane

If you're in the path, be prepared. But be smart about it. Don't be this guy:

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

That’s Tex not being an elitist. Nobody gonna tell him what to do.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

This Global Warming is just awful.

Shoulda nuked it when it was off the coast of French Guiana. Now it's too late.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Probably best I didn't book a Bahamas vacation.

Man, level 5 with 185 MPH winds. But may veer off!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Man, level 5 with 185 MPH winds. But may veer off!
    And it's moving at 5 MPH. Gonna be a long night for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    And it's moving at 5 MPH. Gonna be a long night for some people.
    And maybe a longer week for people up the coast preparing and hoping it doesn't get any nearer.

A lot of people will get a lot of rain regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Probably best I didn't book a Bahamas vacation.
    should get a room for cheap right now

people of the bahamas gotta be wondering what god they pissed off. strongest storm to ever make landfall, hits them square, then just stops right on top of them for 2 full days

i'm amazed anything is left at all to be honest

Having survived many Hurricanes, I believe that the worst after water damage from storm surge, is the loss of electrical power. Those that can plan ahead and have a portable generator can avoid what happens to your refrigerated and frozen food supplies. It's astounding how short a time without power it takes for those food supplies to go bad. Also, if one forgets to empty out the refrigerator/freezer and evacuate out of the area until electrical service has been restored, will return to a most foul smelling/repulsive sight.

Depending on where your located, disruption of the water supply is not an experience that I have had to deal with, but it is smart to have a fresh water supply on hand. Batteries too are some of the most needed items. They sell out quickly as the storm gets closer. Canned food of all descriptions and dry goods fly off the market shelves. Charcoal, lighter fluid, and gasoline are at a premium. Gasoline can't be pumped without electrical power. Candles, Lanterns, flashlights, and more are rare to find after a storm has passed through.

Downed trees and damaged roofs occupy many in residential neighborhoods. It's amazing to see neighbors that once were strangers unite during such a crisis. I've seen gasoline pooled together by 3 or 4 families so 1 vehicle could be used to travel to buy emergency ice for the collective families. Politics takes a holiday as all work together to help each other.

Let's not forget those pets either. Animal shelters are overrun after a hurricane strikes. Donations and pet adoptions are needed the most at such times. Also, due to the rain and flooding, such things as snakes, racoons, opossums, deer, turtles, and more are often discovered where they are not normally found. It can be a rough time for the local wildlife as well. Patience and good sense need to be exercised.

Oh yea, I mentioned that I've not yet been in a situation where the water supply went down, but without electricity cold showers are the standard. Burr, I've never liked a cold shower or shave. Resources to heat water are usually limited to washing dishes.

If one can plan ahead of the storm season and has the storage space/containers, the following stashed supplies would come in most handy.

Paper Plates
    Plastic Cups and knives/forks/and spoons
    Large garbage bags
    A ten day supply of dry and canned food (separate from your normal supplies)
    A generator and enough gas to operate it with for 7 to 10 days
    A dependable portable Radio
    5 to 6 flashlights
    Batteries in different voltages
    Enough stored water to last 1 gal per person per day for 7 to 10 days
    A reserve supply of pet food
    Lanterns/candles
    A supply of Charcoal/lighter fluid or Propane (a reserve supply) as required
    At least 1 gallon of Bleach
    A large tarpaulin or a supply of plastic sheeting
    A chainsaw with extra chain and oil supply
    A shovel
    A supply of nylon or hemp rope
    An Axe
    A Bow Saw
    A well supplied First Aid Kit

I'm sure that I've missed something, but if one can manage it, a corner of a garage or shed is a small price to pay to be ready if you live in a Hurricane zone. It could become a multi-year project as a little at a time is secured and safely stored. As for storage, I recommend the large plastic storage containers with tight fitting lids over cardboard boxes. Cardboard box storage may work for bottled water and such though.

I'd not wish living through a hurricane on anyone, but being prepared is better than being without at such a time.