Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Never too early 2020 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Wow, lots of candor from Gooter in the presser today. Sounds like WR and ILB are his targets and there is little chance the current ILB is back.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...ss-conference/
    Holy Crap.

– On defensive line: “I really do like our defensive line group.” Likes Dean Lowry and Tyler Lancaster. Excited for Montravius Adams and Kinglsey Keke in 2020. Said he wouldn’t pass on adding a talented player along the line.

– Gutekunst said he wanted to add another explosive offensive player at the trade deadline. Explored options. Didn’t like the value of some of the in-season trade opportunities.
    Oh well.

It's clear he sees the ILB group as a bigger problem than DL. Of course, he may have just been propping up a group (DL) that's come in for a lot of criticism lately.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I would ask the people bad mouthing Martinez, would you rather replace him with a rookie - even a fairly highly drafted one? I'd say the only way we should lose Martinez is if we can sign somebody from another team who is clearly better.

Switching to a 4-3 would solve a lot of problems including Martinez needing to basically do the job of two players. 4-3 would also make the Smiths DEs, which they pretty much play like now. You'd then have OLBs behind them actually covering outside runs and short zones in the passing game.
    Personally i like Martinez but based on what he is asked to do he isn’t good enough. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good football player and can’t be used more effectively in a different situation like you shared(contributing in a 4-3). Yes, he had a lot of tackles but where were most of those tackles being made? He didn’t excel in pass coverage either. His PFF ranking this year was horrible and was the worst of his career. All of this with the combination of Pettine being hell bent on his scheme creates a scenario where paying Martinez big $ gives many a serious cause for concern that is warranted.

I am not certain there is anyone that will be available to us in the draft that can come in day 1 and full-fill what Pettine asked Martinez to do in 2019. In fact Isiah Simmons is probably the only guy in the draft I would even feel comfortable trying to do that with and he will be long gone by the time the Packers draft. The other option I could see is signing a guy like Cory Littleton and rolling the dice. He is “Great” in coverage and rated out considerably higher then Martinez overall. He is consistently around the ball and appears to be able to get to the sideline faster in pursuit. I’m thinking he will be somewhere around 4 years 50 million. I don’t believe the Rams will be able to afford him so he should make it to free agency.

With that said there still gonna need to improve the Lowry/Lancaster fiasco or it won’t matter who they sign at ILB.

I would ask the people bad mouthing Martinez, would you rather replace him with a rookie - even a fairly highly drafted one? I'd say the only way we should lose Martinez is if we can sign somebody from another team who is clearly better.

Switching to a 4-3 would solve a lot of problems including Martinez needing to basically do the job of two players. 4-3 would also make the Smiths DEs, which they pretty much play like now. You'd then have OLBs behind them actually covering outside runs and short zones in the passing game.
    Is it crazy to think they might give the dysfunctional Jets a call for another former Raven in the middle that TT and presumably Gooter absolutely loved a few years back?

Is it crazy to think they might give the dysfunctional Jets a call for another former Raven in the middle that TT and presumably Gooter absolutely loved a few years back?
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    ?

I think he is talking about CJ Mosley. Never gonna happen. Good player but he is 1 year into an 85 million dollar contract with 50 guaranteed.

Yeah, it sounds like Mosely is too expensive. I'm not too sure Littleton is an upgrade from Martinez, and 4 years $50 million probably is a higher price tag than Martinez. Remember, that same guy who said Littleton has good coverage skills also said Martinez has good coverage skills hahahaha. Take it with a grain of salt. Better the devil we know than the probably higher priced devil we don't know.

As somebody said, it sounds like from that press conference they are more concerned with ILB than the D Line. If true, that's a damn shame.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

If Gutey thinks the team is set on the defensive line, then maybe he should re-watch the tape of the NFCC. And Montravius Adams? This was year three for him, and he couldn't get off the bench. How can you be excited about that?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Yeah, it sounds like Mosely is too expensive. I'm not too sure Littleton is an upgrade from Martinez, and 4 years $50 million probably is a higher price tag than Martinez. Remember, that same guy who said Littleton has good coverage skills also said Martinez has good coverage skills hahahaha. Take it with a grain of salt. Better the devil we know than the probably higher priced devil we don't know.

As somebody said, it sounds like from that press conference they are more concerned with ILB than the D Line. If true, that's a damn shame.
    Having more power upfront on the DL would no doubt help cover up some of Martinez’s deficiencies but as long as Pettine continues to run his 2 DL sets some of Martinez’s limitations would most likely continue to be exposed. With what is most likely available to the Packers bringing him back to a team friendly deal might be an option. Martinez appears to like being in Green Bay and it will ultimately come down to how much the Packers value the position(and what Martinez is willing to accept) moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If Gutey thinks the team is set on the defensive line, then maybe he should re-watch the tape of the NFCC. And Montravius Adams? This was year three for him, and he couldn't get off the bench. How can you be excited about that?
    Yeah, M.Adams has to be moved over to the “bust category” quickly and counting on him moving forward shouldn’t be an option. If Reagor is off the board at pick 30 then I would have no problem with the Packers selecting Raekwon Davis if he is still available. He is a very good run defender up front.

https://youtu.be/2QkesWBDNec
    Last edited by GB-Brandon; 01-25-2020 at 10:46 AM.

That two man D Line you're talking about is actually a de facto 4 man line, as the Smiths (or Fackrell if one of them moves inside) play it like DEs instead of OLBs. The problem with that, of course, is no OLB behind them to turn in running plays. It's worse when you have a 3 man line - which actually is 5, and two of them are the two Northwestern slugs - still no strength inside, and nobody to stop plays from getting outside except DBs. And when those DBs are in man coverage, which they usually are, then it's wide open for an outside run. It's a wonder more teams don't do to us what the Niners did.

Actually calling it a 4-3 and having a couple real OLBs would help a lot. Using zone pass coverage would help a lot. For some reason, though, I doubt Pettine will do that.

Signing somebody like Chris Jones or Reader or maybe drafting somebody like Raekwon Davis would make that 2 man line a lot better - paired with Clark, but it still wouldn't solve the problem outside.

Martinez really isn't the problem. There just is too much left on his shoulders to stop as it is now. I doubt even a better ILB - if indeed any of those mentioned are better - would have success under the circumstances we have now.

That two man D Line you're talking about is actually a de facto 4 man line, as the Smiths (or Fackrell if one of them moves inside) play it like DEs instead of OLBs. The problem with that, of course, is no OLB behind them to turn in running plays. It's worse when you have a 3 man line - which actually is 5, and two of them are the two Northwestern slugs - still no strength inside, and nobody to stop plays from getting outside except DBs. And when those DBs are in man coverage, which they usually are, then it's wide open for an outside run. It's a wonder more teams don't do to us what the Niners did.

Actually calling it a 4-3 and having a couple real OLBs would help a lot. Using zone pass coverage would help a lot. For some reason, though, I doubt Pettine will do that.

Signing somebody like Chris Jones or Reader or maybe drafting somebody like Raekwon Davis would make that 2 man line a lot better - paired with Clark, but it still wouldn't solve the problem outside.

Martinez really isn't the problem. There just is too much left on his shoulders to stop as it is now. I doubt even a better ILB - if indeed any of those mentioned are better - would have success under the circumstances we have now.
    Well “de facto 4” or not you still have two guys with there hand in the dirt at the point of attack and it runs extremely light. The scheme itself takes an awful lot to be successful IMO. I think with the addition of DL you suggested along with Isiah Simmons is what it would take but not sure that is realistic considering draft capital and $ needed. Simmons is 6’4 230lb and claims to run 4.31(almost a half second faster then Martinez) is explosive and it shows on tape, plus is a very instinctive player. Your gonna need a “World Beater” like that to pull it off for sure.

So I blame Pettine for “pigeon holing” us into a scheme that is almost impossible to have the cumulative talent and resources needed to run. It will certainly almost never happen with a franchise QB cap hit. BTW, I wanted them to switch to a true 4-3 years ago and run nickel out of that.

Edit: Christian Jones staying healthy concerns me.
    Last edited by GB-Brandon; 01-25-2020 at 01:49 PM.

I tend to think Pettine, like Rexy, wants to be able to run heavy for run D and light for pass rush.

I hope Gute thinks the pass rush is OK and just knows but doesn't want to tip his hand that he needs a run stuffer.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by GB-Brandon View Post
    Having more power upfront on the DL would no doubt help cover up some of Martinez’s deficiencies but as long as Pettine continues to run his 2 DL sets some of Martinez’s limitations would most likely continue to be exposed. With what is most likely available to the Packers bringing him back to a team friendly deal might be an option. Martinez appears to like being in Green Bay and it will ultimately come down to how much the Packers value the position(and what Martinez is willing to accept) moving forward.

Yeah, M.Adams has to be moved over to the “bust category” quickly and counting on him moving forward shouldn’t be an option. If Reagor is off the board at pick 30 then I would have no problem with the Packers selecting Raekwon Davis if he is still available. He is a very good run defender up front.

https://youtu.be/2QkesWBDNec
    Yes please.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Yes please.
    I’m actually starting to like it even more and even adding another via Free Agency(Michael Brockers or Quinton Jefferson) after Senior Bowl. I think Jefferson will be more cap friendly.

I’m still torn on whether to re-sign Martinez or go after Cory Littleton and it will probably come down to $. I still want to add another one in draft and early.

Singing AJ Green is a huge component to the following picks. I understand Green will be 32 and has injury history but we’re gonna have to gamble somewhere. I can’t believe I’m saying this but we need to shore up the defense as Rodgers gets older which makes this a huge signing.

Post Senior Bowl:

Pick 30- Raekwon Davis. DL, Alabama-Elite size and strength and is very good against the run and did it in the SEC. He can also get after it a little pushing the pocket. Huge upgrade IMO over Lancaster and Lowry.

Pick 62- Jordyn Brooks ILB, Texas Tech - Way too much value to pass up here at a need. Not only is he fun to watch and a leader for Texas Tech but also graded out well at all the areas of concern for Packer LB’s last year(stopping run, pass coverage, putting pressure on). We will need to see at Combine but the tape is “buyer friendly”. A real strong combine could push him out of reach here.

Round 3-Kj Hill WR, Ohio State - Could be this years Terry Mclaurin. He is just “NFL Ready” which makes him a perfect fit for what we’re trying to do on offense. He fits scheme perfectly. Massively talented receiver class allows him to fall to us. College production was there. “Smooth Operator” that can create separation and flip his hips.

https://247sports.com/Article/KJ-Hil...yes-142705533/

Also showed at Senior Bowl he can beat people vertically.

Round 4- Quintez Cephus WR, Wisconsin- We might have to trade up here a little to get him IMO. He is very twitchy in short area spaces along with great hands and can win contested catches(50/50 balls). He does well off press coverage. He really reminds me a lot of James Jones. If he stayed another year at Wisconsin he most likely would be a 2nd round pick. Will need to improve overall route tree.

Rounds 5-7- Need to find OL talent and depth.

Not much to disagree with there. I think I would prefer Devin Duvernay of Texas to K.J. Hill, although either would be good in the third round.

I wonder if Justin Herbert would interest Goot Goot. He checks every box it seems except accuracy apparently.

Kiper has Packers taking KJ Hamler in his mock. That has been a fairly popular Packers pick so far. https://www.reddit.com/r/DynastyFF/c...eleased_today/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    ADAMS...right up GB's alley. If you got up close to him you'd see an incredibly ripped freak athletic looking guy. Another Tarzan who plays like Jane. It seems like we always have 2-3 underachievers who were drafted based on measurables as opposed to production. Time to move on from him and Burks so lesson our ratios
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I wonder if Justin Herbert would interest Goot Goot. He checks every box it seems except accuracy apparently.
    QB's with accuracy in college do not have a good track record in the NFL. I have heard though that he improved his accuracy in 2019.