Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Entire History of America Related Through A Pie

Entire History of America Related Through A Pie

https://m.chicagoreader.com/chicago/...nt?oid=1267308

Much of that history is stupid, but you knew that already.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Shit, that is like a Reefer Madness article about the damn pie!!

Where can I get one, a real one?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Interesting read.

Last year I had what was supposedly mince pie that was a traditional family recipe from some of my parents' waspy friends from Rhode Island. I thought it was pretty lousy. Super heavy, dry, and kinda bland in that it was loaded with spices yet nothing that would count as seasoning. I made sense of it at the time as the kind of dish you might enjoy as an 1880's British patriot who could appreciate the imperial spectacle of uniting all these exotic spices into a loosemeat pie.

I may have gotten a dud. Now I wanna make one.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Shit, that is like a Reefer Madness article about the damn pie!!

Where can I get one, a real one?
    Just don't buy on of those industrial, machine made one's! They killed an icon!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Interesting read.

Last year I had what was supposedly mince pie that was a traditional family recipe from some of my parents' waspy friends from Rhode Island. I thought it was pretty lousy. Super heavy, dry, and kinda bland in that it was loaded with spices yet nothing that would count as seasoning. I made sense of it at the time as the kind of dish you might enjoy as an 1880's British patriot who could appreciate the imperial spectacle of uniting all these exotic spices into a loosemeat pie.

Frankly the entire article, like US History, made more sense once I read how much Brandy or Rum they wanted in one of the recipes.

Makes me wonder if Wisconsin stopped making mince pies and just drank the brandy or was always just drinking the brandy.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Interesting read.

As a podcast listener, I am compelled by the subliminal messages to share that if you want to make Rhode Island slightly more interesting, listen to the first season of the Crimetown podcast. Great story about corruption in Providence.

I like me a good Cornish pasty.

Ever been to the Wedgie place at State and the Square in Madison?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Ever been to the Wedgie place at State and the Square in Madison?
    Big Poppas, correct? That’s where I had my first pasty!

Close, Myles Teddywedgers. Used to live down the block from them during college years. Can't beat it for a Packer noon start time on a cold Sunday.

Blog Entries
    Mince pies kinda sound like tamales that get sold in parking lots.

Mince pies = tamales salvatrucha.

Blog Entries
    THOSE people make them different than Mexicanos. I never buy tamales cuz my Mama makes the bomb ones. I have begun learning by watching and not just eating. Already made a batch following her style. But every year there are reports of tamales being sold on the street made with canned dog food, the meaty looking kind. That’s why I specified the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Close, Myles Teddywedgers. Used to live down the block from them during college years. Can't beat it for a Packer noon start time on a cold Sunday.
    That's right. What year you graduate?

THOSE people make them different than Mexicanos. I never buy tamales cuz my Mama makes the bomb ones. I have begun learning by watching and not just eating. Already made a batch following her style. But every year there are reports of tamales being sold on the street made with canned dog food, the meaty looking kind. That’s why I specified the parking lot.
    Lol. True story. Rainy shitty day in Wisco' during undergrad, I must've been 18-19. I buy some canned tamales (This is Wisconsin in the 80's, don't judge me) and go back to my dorm room, heat them up in the microwave. I start eating. I'm all, "WTF? These things are awful, they are impossible to eat, taste like shit and are really tough!" Couldn't finish, threw them out.

Well 15 years later, a friend of a friend had some homemade tamales that were reportedly awesome. I was leery but had a revelation when my buddy PEELED THE CORN HUSK OFF THE TAMALE.

I'm a dope.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    That's right. What year you graduate?
    1991. I was on the six year plan, which with current tuition rates is now obsolete.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Lol. True story. Rainy shitty day in Wisco' during undergrad, I must've been 18-19. I buy some canned tamales (This is Wisconsin in the 80's, don't judge me) and go back to my dorm room, heat them up in the microwave. I start eating. I'm all, "WTF? These things are awful, they are impossible to eat, taste like shit and are really tough!" Couldn't finish, threw them out.

Well 15 years later, a friend of a friend had some homemade tamales that were reportedly awesome. I was leery but had a revelation when my buddy PEELED THE CORN HUSK OFF THE TAMALE.

I'm a dope.
    Ok you took pendejo to a new level! I have never heard of anyone doing that shit. Pretty sure even dogs will tear them open.

‘90 for me.

Ok you took pendejo to a new level! I have never heard of anyone doing that shit. Pretty sure even dogs will tear them open.
    All 18 year old boys are, by definition, pendejos.

All 18 year old boys are, by definition, pendejos.