Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rise of Skywalker

Rise of Skywalker

What a gutless rehash.

Didn't help that Abrams had to pretend TLJ didn't happen.

Kids enjoyed it, so there's that.

May Kathleen Kennedy be sentence to a life term in the Spice Mines of Kessel.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Wanted to see it this weekend but had family Xmas. We will try to see it next weekend.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

It has it's moments.

i found it just ok

nothing really special

the last jedi really took the wind out of the franchise sails IMO

JJ had to try and clean up the giant shit that TLJ took, and somehow tell his own story and wrap the whole franchise up

pretty tall order

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    It has it's moments.
    It was ok & btw, I'm an avid SW fan & vintage collector.

Blame it on ruin Johnson & Kathleen Kennedy - TLJ is not worth re-watching.

BUT...the Mandalorian is the sh!t (yes, I've seen all 7 chapters) and I couldn't be a happier SW fan. Baby Yoda all the way!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Just rewatched Rogue One.

That is what all subsequent SW movies should have been.

Give the keys to Gareth Edwards and stay out of his way.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    I ain’t seen the latest episode yet but two things baffle me:

1 - Prof Rands hates seeing Asians in Star Wars. He’s a racist, perhaps. I mean, thanks to Netflix and my fondness for the Wu Tang Clan, I now know that Star Wars is just a rip-off of old school, Mongoloid sword-fighting Kung fu films. I mean, Obi Wan Kenobi? That’s so Japanese.

2 - Zool claims to have seen every episode in theatre. The first one showed up in, what, 1960? How the hell is he a “hipster millennial” if he was alive in the 60’s? The first millennial was born on Jan 1, 1982.
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 02-18-2020 at 03:06 AM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post

1 - Prof Rands hates seeing Asians in Star Wars. .
    She’ a terribly drawn character in a tedious, repetitive, unoriginal series - reminds me of you and your posting history.

Peak APB: I haven’t seen “x”, I know nothing about “x” but I’m going to comment on it and judge other’s comments about “x”

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post

1 - Prof Rands hates seeing Asians in Star Wars. He’s a racist, perhaps. I mean, thanks to Netflix and my fondness for the Wu Tang Clan, I now know that Star Wars is just a rip-off of old school, Mongoloid sword-fighting Kung fu films. I mean, Obi Wan Kenobi? That’s so Japanese.

2 - Zool claims to have seen every episode in theatre. The first one showed up in, what, 1960? How the hell is he a “hipster millennial” if he was alive in the 60’s? The first millennial was born on Jan 1, 1982.
    I'm neither hipster nor millennial. First movie was May of 1977. I was 4, but still remember it.

Your first clue at asian themes is Kenobi? Not that Vader is clearly in a dark samurai outfit?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    She’ a terribly drawn character in a tedious, repetitive, unoriginal series - reminds me of you and your posting history.

Peak APB: I haven’t seen “x”, I know nothing about “x” but I’m going to comment on it and judge other’s comments about “x”
    *Slow Clap*

I'm part asian. And I hated Rose. Yellow on yellow violence, I guess.

Kids rewatched TFA the other night. I can't even begin.......

I was 9 in '77. I read the book a dozen times on a family road trip to CO from WI. Blue Squadron, baby.

Fuck Gareth Edwards with a light saber.

Apparently, he's doing a near-future Sci fi movie now. Stay tuned.

Bad bad movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

*Slow Clap*

I'm part asian. And I hated Rose. Yellow on yellow violence, I guess.

Kids rewatched TFA the other night. I can't even begin.......

I was 9 in '77. I read the book a dozen times on a family road trip to CO from WI. Blue Squadron, baby.

Fuck Rian Johnson with a light saber.
    edit: Innacuracy. Fucking wrong director with a lightsaber.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i found it just ok

nothing really special

the last jedi really took the wind out of the franchise sails IMO

JJ had to try and clean up the giant shit that TLJ took, and somehow tell his own story and wrap the whole franchise up

pretty tall order
    I liked the Last Jedi. Finally a breath of fresh air after Abrams aped another run of movies. It wasn't flawless, but at least it was new with some different ideas.

No one wants to root for a hereditary monarchy except perhaps the Brits. Making Rey an heir was a total noisy fanboy sellout. Was glad it made less than Last Jedi.

But the good news I can report is that younger folk I know well much preferred Solo and Rogue One to any of the last trilogy. And one of them who is old enough to have seen the prequels prefers both to those as well. So there is hope for more and better movies. As long as they give the franchise over to someone else.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I liked the Last Jedi.
    lol

Just rewatched Rogue One.

That is what all subsequent SW movies should have been.

Yes, he can stay. Loved Rogue One. But didn't they essentially take the movie out of his hands at one point as well?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/15/1...ds-tony-gilroy

Gilroy came in and cleaned up a lot of stuff with reshoots. Reshoots are often thrown around like rebuilding or tanking in sports (could mean 6 different things as all movies do reshoots) but Gilroy according to most reports did some heavy lifting.

But the story choices were solid. I could have completely done without Vader ripping through a hapless column of rebels. Leaving him stranded on his ship having to chase would have been connection enough, for me, to Star Wars.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    lol
    Really did not want to see another JJ Abrams rehash. As much as I enjoyed the first third of his movie and up to seeing Solo again, the wrap up of the movie was as unimaginative as it gets. I literally left the theatre, after enjoying a lot of it, in a sour mood. Even the fight on Solo's new ship was boring as all get out. Solo doing people wrong should have been hysterical or dangerous. It played like a Marx Bros hallway farce.

The producers should also have an over arching storyline's and end point next time they decide to do three movies. Playing it by ear was dumb. Would have been better with Lucas' scripts.

If they had done just a move about Rey, that planets inhabitants and perhaps Finn or Poe, would have been better than the climatic battle rehash.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-22-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I'm neither hipster nor millennial. First movie was May of 1977. I was 4, but still remember it.
    Little older than that at Star Wars in 1977. Saw it later in summer after my mother was hearing nothing but Star Wars talk from the neighbors and thought we were missing out. Saw the other two opening weekend.

Star Wars fandom took off without me. Knew people in college who would take a day to watch all three movies back to back to back on a Saturday. That is a bit of a slog for me. But got excited for the return in 1999 or whenever.

When the prequels came out, I took the day off work and saw it at the Orpheum at Noon. Thought it would be good to recapture magic at old theatre. Will never be that disappointed again. Can't be possible. Avoided the trailer for 4 months. Should have watched the trailer and skipped the movie.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-22-2020 at 03:02 PM.

edit: Innacuracy. Fucking wrong director with a lightsaber.
    If you stick with Lucas' movie version of the light and dark, you are left without much to build out on. Its dime store yin and yang poster symbolism preached as a training montage.

What you do with the power (say lift a spaceship out of the muck or choke someone to death) is obviously far more interesting. Luke deciding to not participate and help empower a dark protege is a reasonable choice, even if the explanation left a LOT to be desired.

I am not a big expanded universe guy, but my understanding is that a few authors made some solid contributions to a better understanding of what light and dark meant as a practical matter.

But what Lucas left on film, especially after the prequels, needed some new direction. In my opinion. Your mileage may vary. All rights reserved.

Anyway, I did not actually intend to come here and issue bad takes about Star Wars and JJ Abrams. I came here to post this: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...Miracle-on-Ice
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-22-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Whilst not a Star Wars fanboy, I favor the CGI-prone prequels more than the other 6 flicks. Maybe that's b/c Imma millennial.

Watching the other 6 flicks is like playing Madden on the original Nintendo: the technology is obsolete.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.