Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rise of Skywalker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    *Slow Clap*

I'm part asian. And I hated Rose. Yellow on yellow violence, I guess.

Kids rewatched TFA the other night. I can't even begin.......

I was 9 in '77. I read the book a dozen times on a family road trip to CO from WI. Blue Squadron, baby.

Fuck Rian Johnson with a light saber.
    edit: Innacuracy. Fucking wrong director with a lightsaber.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    edit: Innacuracy. Fucking wrong director with a lightsaber.
    If you stick with Lucas' movie version of the light and dark, you are left without much to build out on. Its dime store yin and yang poster symbolism preached as a training montage.

What you do with the power (say lift a spaceship out of the muck or choke someone to death) is obviously far more interesting. Luke deciding to not participate and help empower a dark protege is a reasonable choice, even if the explanation left a LOT to be desired.

I am not a big expanded universe guy, but my understanding is that a few authors made some solid contributions to a better understanding of what light and dark meant as a practical matter.

But what Lucas left on film, especially after the prequels, needed some new direction. In my opinion. Your mileage may vary. All rights reserved.

Anyway, I did not actually intend to come here and issue bad takes about Star Wars and JJ Abrams. I came here to post this: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...Miracle-on-Ice
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-22-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Bad bad movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Whilst not a Star Wars fanboy, I favor the CGI-prone prequels more than the other 6 flicks. Maybe that's b/c Imma millennial.

Watching the other 6 flicks is like playing Madden on the original Nintendo: the technology is obsolete.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    An aside, I just signed up for the free trial Disney Plus, and tried to binge watch Mandalorian. Unfuckingwatchable. Only 8 episodes, I think. Some chapters run for only half an hour. Still, haven't gotten past chapter 4.

No boobs. No sex. Nobody said the greatest word of all time, "fuck." Violence scenes look fake. I know, it's produced by Disney. But still...wish Netflix, HBO or Amazon had produced it.

The Witcher, starring Superman, now that's a fucking awesome series. Spent an entire day off binging the show and drinking sparkling water tainted with vodka. Happily.

I don’t have good answers.

There were many holes that were never well explained and I don’t think it was just Johnson. Why does Luke need to be on the Jedi home world if he’s abandoning it? If he’s not abandoning it, what’s he doing? Apparently studying to force transport. He should be trying to help Ben in some way, but :shrug:

The answer, apparently, was to wait until someone wanted his help bad enough to visit. But why isn’t he ready? Or was being an asshole the lesson?

He didn’t force “know” Rey after she broke out? No disturbance in the force?

Finn side quest was suppose to introduce a third political dimension to the two political-military bodies everyone knows but nothing is ever done with it beside the introduction and a chase.

A series with a plan would have use for these developments. Or developments of its own. People are getting rich supplying the warring sides? Good story fodder for Solo to be involved in you would think.

Basically I look at the first Abrams movie as a movie without ideas. A rehash with ideas just leeched out. Johnson had some decent ones to put in. But there was wasn’t much of a thread or branch to hang them on. It was all introduction, and odd thing in the 2nd movie of a trilogy. Rey being no one in particular, I thought, stood well on its own next to Ren’s story.

All were abandoned to the rehash.

I don’t get too worried about plot holes and in movies about faster than light travel.

But how did Leia get thrown through a space window with barely any wounds from the glass or impact hard enough to break a material that survives in space and faster than light stress?

Who created the stupid map in two pieces and gave part of it to Bb8?

But the only question worth asking is how do you make this trilogy without a plan?

They paid Lucas $4b. They were always going to take a swing at the Skywalker saga. I’ll take a rehash every day of the week over the jumbled mess of TLJ. Like when Luke was milking the weird lizard things. Or the guy on the salt planet squats down, dabs the ground with a finger, tastes it, then says “salt” and the camera cuts. So many worthless moments. Like Poe completely losing his mind and trying to bomb 1 ship while losing 50 of his own. The whole prank phone call with Hux. I could write a better movie than that thing.

They should have had Kato make a cameo during the chase scene.

Finns side quest was to show the greed of today’s society. https://www.cinemablend.com/news/166...s-so-important

The same reason that Ep 1 was a mess. Keep politics out of my space-cowboy-wizard movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    They paid Lucas $4b. They were always going to take a swing at the Skywalker saga. I’ll take a rehash every day of the week over the jumbled mess of TLJ. Like when Luke was milking the weird lizard things. Or the guy on the salt planet squats down, dabs the ground with a finger, tastes it, then says “salt” and the camera cuts. So many worthless moments. Like Poe completely losing his mind and trying to bomb 1 ship while losing 50 of his own. The whole prank phone call with Hux. I could write a better movie than that thing.

They should have had Kato make a cameo during the chase scene.

Finns side quest was to show the greed of today’s society. https://www.cinemablend.com/news/166...s-so-important

The same reason that Ep 1 was a mess. Keep politics out of my space-cowboy-wizard movies.
    The politics were always there, they were just so badly explained that no one paid attention. Until PM when he forced people to listen.

Reversing black and white costumes was a big deal to adults raised on Westerns, not so to kids.

Part of what I relearned in disappointment at Phantom Menace was that Lucasfilm/Disney is making this for kids. The blockbuster audience. Lucas' 70's director obsessions led him to greatly expand the technical wizardry available which upped the audience ages.

I was just happy TLJ tried to do something more than just rehash the first three movies. That he didn't succeed more was not much of a sticking point for me.

But like I said, I think the side projects will thrive with these different approaches, including the Mandolorian, Rogue One and Solo (which also had its flaws but was enjoyable). The best thing to happen will be ending the trilogy of trilogies.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

I was just happy TLJ tried to do something more than just rehash the first three movies. That he didn't succeed more was not much of a sticking point for me.
    I would have no issue with trying a new direction, if that direction wasn't a steaming pile of shit. He took existing character arcs (flawed as they were with Finn and Rey) and chucked them into a roulette wheel. Where ever they landed was the direction of the film. Rey became an accident, Finn became a caricature, and Poe became a moron.

The leaders of the remaining rebels held back their plan from their mid-ranking officers? Why exactly? Snoke was so strong, he invented a force method binding Rey and Kylo together, yet he died sitting on a chair? I still say Abrams did the best with what he could for 9. The end wasn't great, but the movie zipped along and you actually cared about the characters.

Did you care one bit about what happened to Finn and Rose? Benicio Del Toro as an imprisoned slicer who sold them out to the First Order 6 seconds after they landed? Poe being knocked down a rank in a rebellion? Seriously he actually was demoted....in a rebellion that had 500 people and 8 ships left. New captain lady....need I say more about her?

Ep 7 end with Rey finding Luke, and Snoke asking Hux to bring Kylo to complete his training. Episode 8 was sitting there half written by those 2 plot points alone. Instead we get a white Bronco on I10, followed by

the previous Star wars and Rogue one were better than the last one

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Damn Zool. You prosecuted that case savagely.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The last three movies seemed to be pieced together with scotch tape. If you were going to green light another Skywalker trilogy it should have had 3 scripts approved before the first movie was made. There are so many plot lines, and pathways available, Disney could have put together to make a great ending to the series, but it bogged down in B.S.

When I am in the theatre I truly enjoyed Rise of Skywalker, but reflecting on it and seeing it second time the movie deserved way more build up and plot thickening in the previous movies. Instead of Snoke, they should have just made a better, clearer reference to the Palpatine.

I am a closet Star Wars fan, and after watching all the movies in sequences I have to say I have never been really impressed with the screen writing of any of the movies. There are certain scenes that we fall in love with in every movie, and those scenes captivate us enough to fall in love with Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    The last three movies seemed to be pieced together with scotch tape. If you were going to green light another Skywalker trilogy it should have had 3 scripts approved before the first movie was made. There are so many plot lines, and pathways available, Disney could have put together to make a great ending to the series, but it bogged down in B.S.

When I am in the theatre I truly enjoyed Rise of Skywalker, but reflecting on it and seeing it second time the movie deserved way more build up and plot thickening in the previous movies. Instead of Snoke, they should have just made a better, clearer reference to the Palpatine.

I am a closet Star Wars fan, and after watching all the movies in sequences I have to say I have never been really impressed with the screen writing of any of the movies. There are certain scenes that we fall in love with in every movie, and those scenes captivate us enough to fall in love with Star Wars.
    That’s what happens when that one idiot came in with the second movie and shit all over everything JJ had established with the first movie

JJ should have just been allowed to do all three from the beginning

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus