Thread: STREAMING

Lightbulb STREAMING

From Netflix to Hulu to Roku to Sling and more, streaming is fast becoming the standard rather than an option. I have had a Roku receiver now for several years and can report no complaints. Along with the Roku streaming service, I also enjoy other "free" streaming services. Many pay services are available, but my budget can't afford them.

I've begun this thread so members can comment, advise, question, and expand our collective knowledge on this subject. I do ask that members please explain the technical points in plain language for those of us that are not technical experts. Thanks.

Any advice on PC to Roku or other streaming methods would be welcome.

Blog Entries
    I am a tech dummy; I pay for Charter TV Cable Service and get raked over the coals and then I pay about 16/month for Netflix. But I don't know a great way to get all of the sports stations I want so I keep doing it while others I think understand how to get what I have for less money

So I hope to learn some info from the thread
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I am a tech dummy; I pay for Charter TV Cable Service and get raked over the coals and then I pay about 16/month for Netflix. But I don't know a great way to get all of the sports stations I want so I keep doing it while others I think understand how to get what I have for less money

So I hope to learn some info from the thread

Precisely why I created this thread. We the consumers are getting robbed, fleeced, and taken advantage of by cable/satellite/etc. Streaming is the new wave and could result in more competition. The current "big boys" own the rights to all of the best movies/shows/sports events and are putting the bite on those that want to view them. There was a time when the Rose Bowl Game and the Orange Bowl Game were always seen on Broadcast TV. Now, ESPN or Turner or some other demand pay subscribers only can view such things. All the best movies are owned/controlled to demand you pay to rent or buy a movie to see it. Streaming too has it's greedy Scrooges, but ones like Roku, You Tube, Pluto, and others are offering viewing with advertising. I can tolerate the ads (most of the time), but $3.99 to watch a movie can add up fast. Additionally, the lure is always out there now from HBO and Disney, Netflix and others to view for free for 7 days. The catch is if you fail to cancel the service, they dip into your bank account with the credit card # you were obliged to supply them with to start your "free" trial.

I want to know more about Sling and Hulu and Amazon. Are they what they seem, or are they too scheming for a way into our bank accounts ?

Does it work on a big screen TV or only phones, tablets, etc.?

And can you get the regular network programming - CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox?

I honestly have no complaint about paying $68 or so for Direct TV, but I would be open to getting it cheaper if yes to those two questions.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    For streaming, you're best to get a Smart TV that has apps on it. The apps are the channels, like HBO, Sling, etc.

Problem that is happening is that there are so many streaming services, by the time you get what you want, you're paying about as much or more as you were for cable or satellite. It does boil down to what you want to watch. Regular network programming depends on the service you select. Otherwise you'll have to buy an HD antenna for your TV. Do your research on the different streaming services and what they offer and see if it matches your viewing needs.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. They have tons of shows and movies and yes, you can pay to rent movies on Prime (which I rarely do). But they do not have sports, so if that matters, then you'll want to do YouTube TV, Sling or such that can get you the channel selection like your cable TV or satellite provider.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

This is a ton of information, but here's a breakdown of the streaming services. Not all of them have an "App" to use on a set-top box (ROKU, apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick) but most of them do.

I've read a good portion of these and for an all-in-one competitor to cable TV, Youtube TV is the closest for sports fans.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/368771...aming-services
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Craig is right about the cost of different steaming services adding up to as much as a cable bill. I have Amazon Prime which has ok movies and shows and as mentioned you can rent/stream newer movies. Since it is included with Amazon Prime 2 day delivery it is worth the monthly price, about $10 a month. Also the NFL network Thursday night games are available live.

I had netflix HD version at $16 a month but cancelled it after the CEO started talking some shit about restricting where you can use the subscription you pay for! Meaning that you pay to be able to stream on up to 5 devices at a time (not 5 total devices). Their dipshit CEO pretty much said customers are stealing if they give their family members that password and one of those 5 devices shows from different location. Also said they would be looking into how to prevent that so I cancelled it, fuck em! I pay to be able to watch from 5 devices at a time and should be able to use it however I choose. No sports stuff that I can recall.

Hulu I tried briefly but it was network and cable TV shows mostly. For the price like $6 it wasn’t bad but I didn’t dig it. I think it did have the local stations but I don’t care about that since I use an antenna. Think it also has a premium version with ESPN.

Disney+ just started and pay 6.99 a month. The Baby Yoda show is excellent but after that it is really for kids. Anyone who was a Disney Channel fan will love it. I’m going to try it for a few months but they will need to add more content to keep my business.

I have Prime, Netflix, HBO, Disney+ which includes Hulu and ESPN Lite run through an Apple TV 4k. I use Sling for live ESPN. The only smart TV OS I would even consider is the ROKU built into many sets. I currently have a Hisense 4K TV which runs Android TV...great for OTA channels but not as good as any of the dedicated streaming devices.
    C.H.U.D.

I've used them all btw....Fire Sticks always highlight Prime Content so you can miss a bunch of recommendations....I prefer the Apple TV but Roku is great.
    C.H.U.D.

As I suspected, there is a ton of streaming services and many differing delivery methods. Zool's post has a great information link.

Let's first address most members 1st concern, Sports Programing. ESPN, Turner, and others have a more tight grip on live games than ever before and I expect that it will continue moving forward. Most of the remaining football games (NFL) will be available on broadcasting networks like Fox and CBS, but next season will be here before we know it. Also, let's not forget the NFL Draft in April.

For some Basketball, Hockey, and Baseball are also favorites. Other sports like Boxing, Track & Field, Swimming, Auto Racing, and more are also part of the discussion. Who offers the best access to view these sports and at what cost. Is special equipment like boxes, sticks, etc. needed ?

Can we first address the area of sports before we bring Movies, TV Programs, Specials, and other video/audio entertainment into play ?

Thanks All !

Sling, Amazon Prime, Roku, Youtube, Netflix, and many other streaming services are available with a Roku device or a smart TV. It would depend on the money your willing to invest. Pluto has a good service, but with most free services there is still those damn commercials. Pay services offer no comercial interruptions

Even the NFL has a streaming service as well. .

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    To improve my streaming service I take saw palmetto.