Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Official Fire Mike Pettine Thread

Official Fire Mike Pettine Thread

Sounds like MLF is undecided.

As I said in another thread, I've been in Pettine's corner. But that performance Sunday was shockingly bad. Should be an interesting week.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    If the Packers can get Wade Philips, I say go for it.

Agreed.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...eturn-in-2020/

LaFleur was disappointed with the energy of the defense against the 49ers, especially with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line.

The Packers knew what was coming and still couldn’t stop it.

“We knew exactly what they were gonna try to do. For them to be able to do that was extremely disappointing,” LaFleur said.

LaFleur said he would soon sit down with team president Mark Murphy to discuss any potential changes to the coaching staff.
    A huge decision coming up. He clearly doesn't think they were out-schemed. Does he blame Pettinefor what he sees as a lack of energy by the defense?

More from LaFleur:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-fire-vs-49ers

"I just didn't feel like we played with the same urgency, the same tenacity, the same toughness. We didn't set the edge the same as we had been earlier this season. It's disappointing because it's not like we didn't know what they were going to try to do. We knew exactly what they were going to try to do. We knew they were going to run the football ... and for them to be able to do that was extremely disappointing, and I just didn't think we played with the same effort as what I had seen earlier in the season."

That brings into question the future of defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who was a holdover from former coach Mike McCarthy's staff. The Packers defense finished ninth in the NFL in fewest points allowed, a jump from 25th last year, but ranked 18th in yards allowed for the second straight year despite major free-agent additions including high-priced pass rushers Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith.

My fear is that to get better on D, they’ll need to fire most of the scouting department.

Unless it’s all FAs.

How much better is Wade? I'd be concerned his Ds would drop off over time as well. What happened in LA this year?

Any one from the Patriots staff we can poach? They always have a good D.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    How much better is Wade? I'd be concerned his Ds would drop off over time as well. What happened in LA this year?

Any one from the Patriots staff we can poach? They always have a good D.
    LA had pass rushers but was bailing wire and twine in the backend.

He is very much like Capers. It’s a solid scheme but without dominant players, you can scheme him.

I’d consider it an upgrade but for like 2 years.

Why the hell was everyone on the ground? In this case, Fackrell.

There were so many front 7 players on the turf, I’d buy a team scheduling problem like we thought versus San Diego.

https://twitter.com/fourverts/status...396084225?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    My fear is that to get better on D, they’ll need to fire most of the scouting department.

Unless it’s all FAs.
    I wouldn't mind seeing them try to land some of the Ravens scouts with promotions and more money. They alway sseem to have a nice balance. Of course, their Ozzie Newsome strategy was to just draft players from Bama lol. I wouldn't object certainly but I'd also extend it to LSU and the other SEC schools.

I would be shocked with Pettine is back after a scathing quote like this.

“I think it was a combination of a lot of things. I think you have to give San Francisco credit. They definitely outcoached us. I just didn’t feel like we played with the same urgency, the same tenacity, the same toughness. We didn’t set the edge the same as we had been earlier this season. It’s disappointing because it’s not like we didn’t know what they were gonna try to do. We knew exactly what they were gonna try to do. We knew they were gonna run the football and for them to be able to do that was extremely disappointing, and I just didn’t think we played with the same effort as what I had seen earlier in the season.”

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing them try to land some of the Ravens scouts with promotions and more money. They alway sseem to have a nice balance. Of course, their Ozzie Newsome strategy was to just draft players from Bama lol. I wouldn't object certainly but I'd also extend it to LSU and the other SEC schools.

I would be shocked with Pettine is back after a scathing quote like this.
    “I think it was a combination of a lot of things. I think you have to give San Francisco credit. They definitely outcoached us. I just didn’t feel like we played with the same urgency, the same tenacity, the same toughness. We didn’t set the edge the same as we had been earlier this season. It’s disappointing because it’s not like we didn’t know what they were gonna try to do. We knew exactly what they were gonna try to do. We knew they were gonna run the football and for them to be able to do that was extremely disappointing, and I just didn’t think we played with the same effort as what I had seen earlier in the season.”
    Keep in mind that Pettine was never really LaFleur's guy. If Pettine wasn't forced on LaFleur, it was probably darned close. It was probably a good idea so that LaFleur could focus more on the offense. But I'm sure he's got some ideas about guys he thinks would be a good DC.

LaFleur deserves his own choice of defensive coordinator. I get why the Packers preferred keeping Pettine for some continuity on that side of the ball, but after that performance with everything on the line, all bets are off.

Pettine needs to be fired. Let M4 hire his own guy....if that happens to be Wade then so be it. I'd kinda prefer to see a younger guy hired though.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Pettine needs to be fired. Let M4 hire his own guy....if that happens to be Wade then so be it. I'd kinda prefer to see a younger guy hired though.
    As long as it's not Jim Leonhard.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    The part about the younger mind makes a lot of sense.

The times they are a'changin'.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Why the hell was everyone on the ground? In this case, Fackrell.

There were so many front 7 players on the turf, I’d buy a team scheduling problem like we thought versus San Diego.

https://twitter.com/fourverts/status...396084225?s=21
    Fackrell really screwed the pooch on that play. If he could have stoned his blocker or gotten a draw that is 4th down and not a TD.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I'm a bit surprised they didn't consider bringing back Wilkerson again, unless he still had injury concerns. I'm not throwing them under the bus, because they were just taking advantage of their opportunity, but I think we need better guys next to Clark than Lowry and Lancaster, and Montravius Adams has had his chance to distinguish himself, and seems just average. More competition would be good. They also need a sideline to sideline ILB. I like Martinez's motor, but I think he's limited. Goodson and Burks are OK, but not difference makers.

It's amazing how much better a coach's scheme looks with better players. See Jets and Ravens under Pettine.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I'm a bit surprised they didn't consider bringing back Wilkerson again, unless he still had injury concerns. I'm not throwing them under the bus, because they were just taking advantage of their opportunity, but I think we need better guys next to Clark than Lowry and Lancaster, and Montravius Adams has had his chance to distinguish himself, and seems just average. More competition would be good. They also need a sideline to sideline ILB. I like Martinez's motor, but I think he's limited. Goodson and Burks are OK, but not difference makers.

It's amazing how much better a coach's scheme looks with better players. See Jets and Ravens under Pettine.
    There are definite talent gaps. But 280 yards is 280 yards. And this spread to run offense isn't new like Harbaugh/Roman/Kaepernick was in 2013.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

They are on to 2020 together. That was kinda fast.

Rob Demovsky
    Mike Pettine will return as Packers defensive coordinator, sources told ESPN.com. He met with coach Matt LaFleur after LaFleur’s season wrap-up press conference on Wednesday and they’re moving forward together for Year 2. es.pn/2GcRgC3

Wow, consider me shocked given the quotes and non-committal attitude. I _think_ he deserves another chance as I tend to have a longer leash than some, but I am shocked after that presser that he is back.