Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Coronavirus And Sports

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Also, carefully read this. Italian doctors are listing every death of a patient with corona virus as a corona caused death, even if its from another illness.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...ts-died-italy/

Even if Italy makes a poor example, the over-running of hospitals has been seen elsewhere. So it could be repeated without non-common flu like mitigations, making the distinction between death by corona versus death by lack of treatment for other respiratory complications academic.

South Korea still is registering a mortality rate much huge than season flu. Though I have not seen an updated number reported. John Hopkins puts it at 1.1% from public data.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Even if Italy makes a poor example, the over-running of hospitals has been seen elsewhere. So it could be repeated without non-common flu like mitigations, making the distinction between death by corona versus death by lack of treatment for other respiratory complications academic.

South Korea still is registering a mortality rate much huge than season flu. Though I have not seen an updated number reported. John Hopkins puts it at 1.1% from public data.
    It could be that bad. But that’s public data from skewed testing of positive cases. Compare total cases, total fatalities with total flu cases and total cases and fatalities from other outbreaks. At least that gives you a frame of reference. If this thing burns out in a month like it should, there should be far fewer total fatalities and cases than seasonal flu and other outbreaks like swine flu. Of course there’s statistical error in the numbers so we won’t know for a while yet. I’m still hoping the antibody testing (which will reveals not just active infection but people who have been exposed and ‘recovered’ - or never had it) will show a far larger exposure and we can end this madness sooner than later.

Total positive cases are also skewed by the madness. I look forward to what will likely look like flu-prevention measures (vaccine, anti-virals, more comprehensive testing and data) to prevent the madness in the future.

The antibody info would, if available, fill in a lot of the gaps.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Looking more and more likely that the Summer Olympics will have to be at least postponed. Not because of the situation in Japan, but because the situation is getting worse in so many other countries. It'a already causing havoc with training and qualifying, with training facilities being closed.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) executive board announced Sunday that the group has decided to step up scenario-planning for the 2020 Tokyo Games in reaction to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The options that the IOC are currently considering include modifying operational plans to allow the games to begin on schedule on July 24 as well as changing the start date for the games.

The IOC says this scenario-planning will allow for the best decision in the interest of the athletes and everyone else involved.

The IOC executive board decided that cancellation of the Tokyo Games would not solve any problems or help anybody, and thus decided cancellation is not on the agenda.

The IOC points out that conditions in Japan have improved significantly, though globally there has been a dramatic increase in Covid-19 cases.

There are just under 3 million deaths from all causes in the U.S. per year - that's 8 or 9,000 per day. It's safe to assume the huge majority of those are on the high age end, same as with the corona thing. Almost 300 deaths from corona now in however many weeks ...... do you think maybe a lot of those same people woulda croaked anyway? Statistics say yes. Couple that with the fact that the huge majority of positive cases don't have any symptoms at all or very mild ones, and this amounts to what I have said from the start, A BIG NOTHING - for which the shitheads making the decisions are forcing sacrifice and suffering on literally everybody.

I saw this morning that Senator Rand Paul tested positive - of course with no symptoms, and he's not exactly young. He is, however, healthy - like virtually every normal average person - like me. If I got corona - age 73 minus one month and perfectly healthy, I would not have one iota of fear over it. I don't, however, expect to get it. Our city of 130,000 hasn't had even one case. Fort Hood right next door with 50,000+ troops and their families hasn't had even one case either, and I'm told the army is doing fairly large scale testing.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Looking more and more likely that the Summer Olympics will have to be at least postponed. Not because of the situation in Japan, but because the situation is getting worse in so many other countries. It'a already causing havoc with training and qualifying, with training facilities being closed.
    Does it occur to you, Joe, that your words say are pretty much the opposite of what the IOC says in the link you posted?

It seems that anytime there is a threat of good sense prevailing and there is an attack of normalcy, the panic-mongers are right there to piss on it.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Does it occur to you, Joe, that your words say are pretty much the opposite of what the IOC says in the link you posted?

It seems that anytime there is a threat of good sense prevailing and there is an attack of normalcy, the panic-mongers are right there to piss on it.
    The statement said one of the options they are considering is changing the start date for the games. That would be a postponement. How long of a postponement remains to be seen. A later statement said a final decision will be made in the next 4 weeks. Stay tuned.

There are just under 3 million deaths from all causes in the U.S. per year - that's 8 or 9,000 per day. It's safe to assume the huge majority of those are on the high age end, same as with the corona thing. Almost 300 deaths from corona now in however many weeks ...... do you think maybe a lot of those same people woulda croaked anyway? Statistics say yes. Couple that with the fact that the huge majority of positive cases don't have any symptoms at all or very mild ones, and this amounts to what I have said from the start, A BIG NOTHING - for which the shitheads making the decisions are forcing sacrifice and suffering on literally everybody.
    Tell that to the health care workers tex. That its all a big nothing. A media invention. Those 200 beds in King County on a soccer field are just a PR stunt.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...irus-outbreak/

You could be glad other states and cities are taking the hit to help keep you city healthy, but I kind of doubt you will see it that way.

I saw this morning that Senator Rand Paul tested positive - of course with no symptoms, and he's not exactly young. He is, however, healthy - like virtually every normal average person - like me. If I got corona - age 73 minus one month and perfectly healthy, I would not have one iota of fear over it. I don't, however, expect to get it. Our city of 130,000 hasn't had even one case. Fort Hood right next door with 50,000+ troops and their families hasn't had even one case either, and I'm told the army is doing fairly large scale testing.
    Why are the hospitals being overrun with critcally sick in just a few weeks? Why hasn't that happened with all the comparison illness you keep referencing?

I saw this morning that Senator Rand Paul tested positive - of course with no symptoms, and he's not exactly young. He is, however, healthy - like virtually every normal average person - like me
    I wonder if he will need a respirator? I hope they are available. Along with masks and gloves for his caregivers if he indeed becomes symptomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Why are the hospitals being overrun with critcally sick in just a few weeks? Why hasn't that happened with all the comparison illness you keep referencing?
    Which hospitals are overrun?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Which hospitals are overrun?
    Lombardi, Italy

Lombardi, Italy
    I meant in the US. Thought that’s what you were referring to. I already addressed Italy.

I meant in the US. Thought that’s what you were referring to. I already addressed Italy.
    I was addressing Tex's the comparison to the flu and other illnesses. Why was this outbreak any different than the flu? Italy gets the flu every year, correct?

Germany is taking cases from France due to overloaded hospitals in at least one area. When has this happened in recent history? After all, this is just a bad cold.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    What's crazy, is that I have spent the afternoon watching ESPN the OCHO! I have watched arm wrestling, Golden Tee Championships, the Tetris World Championships, E60's report on Monster Wrestling, Dodgeball, and now the Marble World Championships.

Seattle is opening a field hospital.

Germany is taking cases from France due to overloaded hospitals in at least one area. When has this happened in recent history? After all, this is just a bad cold.
    Actually, that’s exactly what it is - a bad cold. Which in this case has a very specific organ and demographic predilection - lungs and elderly/sick. Every infectious disease since the dawn of time has the same pattern, and always takes out the most susceptible in the growth phase. That’s why every country will show the same pattern. It will be more severe the older and more infirm the older populations are.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    What's crazy, is that I have spent the afternoon watching ESPN the OCHO! I have watched arm wrestling, Golden Tee Championships, the Tetris World Championships, E60's report on Monster Wrestling, Dodgeball, and now the Marble World Championships.
    This was premium ESPN. You get that stuff then watch SportsCenter and your day is done after you check your messages on the answering machine with the mini-cassette.