Thread: More Banjo: Coronavirus And Sports

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

Zombo.com only gets better with age.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Zombo.com only gets better with age.
    That should be added to the website.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    What I said or should have said is about deaths, but I have heard that those already sick or old tend to have weaker immune systems and therefore are more likely to get it also.
    Got it. Going strictly by the data, this could kill a whole hell of a lot of people. Any of the assumptions prove wrong and that can change, but it's the best info we have to go in today. Best not to tempt fate IMHO.

All the precautions against coronavirus spread should help reduce the incidence of seasonal flu, which killed another 100 people in the US today. As for coronavirus, watch out for places Chinese citizens, especially from the Wuhan region, travelled to recently.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Got it. Going strictly by the data, this could kill a whole hell of a lot of people. Any of the assumptions prove wrong and that can change, but it's the best info we have to go in today. Best not to tempt fate IMHO.
    Going strictly by the data, hell no, it won't. Past performance is the best indicator of future results, and up to now, it has been a big nothing - compared to flu, compared to past "outbreaks", compared to some people's expectations.

As a precaution, don't go out, especially if you need to drive, as 39,000 or so die from that in a year - more than 100 per day.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    All the precautions against coronavirus spread should help reduce the incidence of seasonal flu, which killed another 100 people in the US today. As for coronavirus, watch out for places Chinese citizens, especially from the Wuhan region, travelled to recently.
    You have to be more careful than that. Washington state outbreak centered on people that did not travel.

Now the NCAA basketball tourney will only be essential employees and families ...Sorry this Fear Mongering and Hysteria have officially gone Off The Tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotarace View Post
    Now the NCAA basketball tourney will only be essential employees and families ...Sorry this Fear Mongering and Hysteria have officially gone Off The Tracks.
    NCAA considering moving Final 4 to a smaller venue in Atlanta. I suppose a high school gym would suffice at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Going strictly by the data, hell no, it won't. Past performance is the best indicator of future results, and up to now, it has been a big nothing - compared to flu, compared to past "outbreaks", compared to some people's expectations.

As a precaution, don't go out, especially if you need to drive, as 39,000 or so die from that in a year - more than 100 per day.
    Key to past outbreaks was getting prentative measures in place early. With SARs infection rate was under 10k. Problem is with 100k cases we are already way past SARs.

Again, not to say it won't fall short of worst case, but the risk is not comparable to anything in recent history.

As for the car analogy, that's complete strawman.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    NCAA considering moving Final 4 to a smaller venue in Atlanta. I suppose a high school gym would suffice at this point.
    Jason Gay said they should invite ONE fan per team. That would be a lot of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotarace View Post
    From Twitter, source is good, but it’s Twitter:

2 weeks ago: Italy had 322 confirmed cases of the coronavirus
    1 week ago: 2,502
    Today: 10,149

A LOT depends on that next number and the US is way behind even manufacturing tests.

In sports news, UW Madison is going online only after March 23 for three weeks. I think that is after the break.

What is attendance like at B1G basketball tourney? Can’t watch yet.

More on Italy:

I'm seeing 12,462 cases for Italy.
    worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Different Guy
    2,313 new cases and 196 dead in Italy today alone.

Those are randos, so take care with repeating the numbers.

Phillip Bump
    I overlaid the increase of coronavirus cases in Italy with the recent spike in the U.S. We're about where they were eight days ago.

Last mortality rate I can find is 1%, 10 times greater than that of seasonal flu. This was from this AM I believe.

Reuter’s
    The #coronavirus mortality rate is ‘10 times’ that of the seasonal flu, said Anthony Fauci, director at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, during a congressional hearing
    Last edited by pbmax; 03-11-2020 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Phillip Bump
    I overlaid the increase of coronavirus cases in Italy with the recent spike in the U.S. We're about where they were eight days ago.
    Not sure about this, if he is just going by reported infections, might not be same trajectory. Need to see his work.

Some tips on what to watch for the spread trend.

https://twitter.com/dsquareddigest/s...553393666?s=21

We’ll never get a real USA number so no point in stressing it. Bottom line - expect to see outcomes and ratios similar or worse to other major non-shit-hole countries.

Hope this virus situation gets resolved before tick season gets here or we'll be dealing with Corona with Lyme.