Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Coronavirus And Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    NBA is telling times to check on availability of arenas into August.

I'm guessing NFL Draft will be a throwback. Guys making picks on the phone with no fans around. Free Agency is almost here though. Not sure how they'll handle player visits.
    I have a Browns helmet phone they can borrow if they want.

Wisconsin HS Sports limiting fan attendance to spring sports events.

Girls b-ball tourney is 88 fans per team.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Right, but that is why travel restrictions only buy you time. The virus is here, and travel is no longer a good predictor. This response was also not comprehensive or up to date. While Italy and France were experiencing large outbreaks, customs was still asking only about travel from China.

It would have helped to have testing squared away earlier because mitigation would be more effective if you knew about more of your cases to isolate.
    Yep, only buy you time. That’s the strategy.

Italy and elsewhere: they weren’t screening back in people’s travel history either. So you could be 2 steps away from wuhan and they weren’t looking.

But I confess I don’t know what the infrastructure for this looks like. Do they have teams they mobilize at an instant, how many ports of entry are there, do they check docks and container shipping, etc.

They are forcing them to add 30 extra fans/team? Seems counterintuitive.

I have a Browns helmet phone they can borrow if they want.
    I heard they were changing the name of the virus to the Cleveland Browns Virus so it could be more easily defeated.

Red right 88!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Red right 88!
    I want to know how they arrived at the number 88?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I want to know how they arrived at the number 88?
    I think that's just the number of allotted tickets for immediate family members of the players per school.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I heard they were changing the name of the virus to the Cleveland Browns Virus so it could be more easily defeated.
    The Browns are always ready to self quarantine.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

B1G just cancelled the Men's Basketball tourney.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

MLS suspending season.

Lol

Now that was a good one

A teammate of Rudy Gobert has been diagnosed with coronavirus.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Jazz star Donovan Mitchell has tested positive for the coronavirus, league sources tell ESPN. Jazz players privately say that Rudy Gobert had been careless in the locker room touching other players and their belongings. Now a Jazz teammate has tested positive.

Towson Athletics @TowsonTigers
    Out of an abundance of caution due to the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States, Towson University has suspended the remainder of the athletics varsity spring season, effective immediately.

This reasoning is misplaced. Its not an abundance of caution in the face of some unknown. You are not having events to stop possible transmission at those events. Its a specific step with a specific purpose.

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin
    The Minnesota Vikings are suspending travel for coaches and scouts until further notice, following suit of other NFL franchises amid concerns of COVID-19.

Eugene Wei@eugenewei

May be time to revisit our views of this brave man in his N95 mask who ordered a quarantine of Manhattan over the objections of the public and whose primary foe was a man infected by a bat

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    Folks, I know some of you think this is not real, but you literally would have to be dumb as a box of rocks to think that way. Its not the flu, its not a bad cold, its a 'novel' virus, i.e. never seen before. And for some of you saying it is dumb to cancel events, I have seen graphs of daily infected of countries who are not locking down vs countries who are locking down, and its not even close. And be careful on mortality rates, I'm pretty sure the denominator is not those with symptoms, it is those who have been officially diagnosed. And in the good old USA, who does not have enough test kits yet, I am concerned we are WAY behind the curve. You can love or hate the current administration, but they also are way behind the curve, they should have been preparing when China first started having outbreaks.
    Agree. For those nonsmokers in good health under 50, it's easy to be cavalier about this. I'm not going to panic and go full tilt prepper, but I sure don't want a respiratory virus or lesions on my lungs. If cancelling events can prevent the spread of this, as a practical matter it's a reasonable idea, and within the rights of the governing bodies to decide.

Risking public health for a sporting event is a weird debate to have.

And I also agree that the US is behind the curve on this. The White House has made statements that clearly contradict the government's own medical experts, and it has caused fear, confusion, and doubt. I hope they can get on the same page and make up ground on combating the severity of this virus.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    With all the conferences cancelling tourneys and now every sport stopping their seasons, I don't see how March Madness can be played.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    With all the conferences cancelling tourneys and now every sport stopping their seasons, I don't see how March Madness can be played.
    It's just a matter of time. I think it will be cancelled today.

"dumb as a box of rocks" is what the panicky fools are that are making a big deal out of this respiratory thing. It is strictly respiratory - a little cough and sniffles, and it apparently lasts two weeks. That sounds strangely like a common cold - for which there also is no cure, and which worst case, could turn into pneumonia and kill somebody who is already sick or fragile.

And for that, they're ruining the enjoyment of basically everybody who likes sports - a colossal overreaction.

This reminds me of the weekend after the Kennedy assassination in 1963. I didn't give a shit about Kennedy, but I absolutely hated that there was no sports that weekend.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?