Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Coronavirus And Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It's just a matter of time. I think it will be cancelled today.
    Do you think they'll move it, or just completely cancel it? That would really stink to outright cancel such a huge event in the player's livees, but I 100% get it. I hope the compromise is to reschedule to a date TBD when things are more settled.

ESPN

The NCAA has called off its men's and women's basketball tournaments as part of a complete cancellation of all remaining spring and winter championships.
    Here's what the NCAA said in a statement:

"Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities."
    The announcement also means sports like golf, lacrosse, tennis and the College World Series would also be canceled.

wow

"NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell notified the clubs today that after careful consideration and consultation with medical experts, the NFL's annual meeting scheduled for March 29-April 1 has been canceled.

"There will be full consideration and votes on any open football issues, including playing rules, bylaws, and resolutions, as well as other business matters that were on the agenda for the Annual Meeting, at the Spring Meeting scheduled for May 19-20. Most of the first day will be dedicated to football-related issues. Head coaches and general managers will participate in the meeting.

"This decision was made consistent with the league's primary concern to protect the health of club and league employees and the public while enabling the league to continue with its essential business operations.

"We will continue to closely monitor developments, consults with leading experts, and be prepared to make any changes necessary as circumstances warrant."

It is strictly respiratory - a little cough and sniffles, and it apparently lasts two weeks. That sounds strangely like a common cold - for which there also is no cure, and which worst case, could turn into pneumonia and kill somebody who is already sick or fragile.
    Read about what a cytokine storm is -- they can be pretty nasty. I'm a very healthy person and I don't want to be exposed to this. I'm not gonna hoard toilet paper either -- that's crazy -- so I somewhat understand where you're coming from.

The spanish flu of 1918 had a mortality rate of between 1 and 6% depending on the death estimates; Stanford estimates it at 2.5%. That flu killed more people in 24 weeks than HIV/AIDS killed in 24 years, maybe wearing a body condom will help you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
    https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

My point is that this was declared a pandemic, which is a pretty serious thing as history has shown.
    I agree the 24 hour news cycle and social media often amplify and panic - whether it's CNN, Fox News, or Facebook - but I don't think at this point you can simply say this is much ado about nothing. Countries are closing their borders and quarantining cruise ships; should a sporting arena be different?

Tex, the current mortality rate for those over 65 is between 10-15%, so perhaps you will not have to bother with other people’s concerns for very much longer

ALERT: I am not wishing Tex come to harm, I am just tweaking him for his “it’s only a cold” approach.

Plus, think about how bad a cold/flu could be if you did not have a lifetime of exposure to build immunity, a mother who transferred some of her immunity to you, known transmission patterns, built-in hospital capacity and a vaccine (for flu).

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    "dumb as a box of rocks" is what the panicky fools are that are making a big deal out of this respiratory thing. It is strictly respiratory - a little cough and sniffles, and it apparently lasts two weeks. That sounds strangely like a common cold - for which there also is no cure, and which worst case, could turn into pneumonia and kill somebody who is already sick or fragile.

And for that, they're ruining the enjoyment of basically everybody who likes sports - a colossal overreaction.

This reminds me of the weekend after the Kennedy assassination in 1963. I didn't give a shit about Kennedy, but I absolutely hated that there was no sports that weekend.
    Your proctologist called....They found your head.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Tex, the current mortality rate for those over 65 is between 10-15%, so perhaps you will not have to bother with other people’s concerns for very much longer

we can only hope

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    And boom goes the dynomite
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Pays to keep in mind that keeping large groups of people meeting (like a sporting event) isn’t to reduce chance of healthy people dying, though it helps.

The idea is that you slow progression through vulnerable populations, thereby really reducing mortality rates.

So healthy kids and young adults don’t accidentally infect Grandma or the neighbor with COPD or asthma.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The real reason they’re trying to slow the progression is to outlast the thing and prevent spikes that would overhwhelm hospitals.

That’s if the severity rate seen elsewhere for the elderly corresponds to this country.

I’m convinced that this thing is more severe for the very old and sick but also think it won’t be anywhere near 15% for that population. Will it be more or less severe than regular flu or H1N1? Don’t know. And now we may never know because if the result is less severe that could be because the virus is weaker or because of the precautions or both. If it’s more severe even with the precautions....holy hell.

Still, it isn’t a cold for Chrissakes.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Pays to keep in mind that keeping large groups of people meeting (like a sporting event) isn’t to reduce chance of healthy people dying, though it helps.

The idea is that you slow progression through vulnerable populations, thereby really reducing mortality rates.

So healthy kids and young adults don’t accidentally infect Grandma or the neighbor with COPD or asthma.
    Not only slow progression, but has already been shown to shorten the infection rate, and thereby the pandemic cycle. Otherwise, it just keeps going, and going and...

I also think we will be ok, mainly because the main players who originally thought this was nothing are starting to take it seriously. Unfortunately, I am in a higher age/risk group so am just paying closer attention.

I believe/hope all the rats make it just fine...

With major sports wiped out, what does ESPN do now? Have they cancelled Australian Rules Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Wisconsin HS Sports limiting fan attendance to spring sports events.

Girls b-ball tourney is 88 fans per team.
    4 tickets for each kids family. My business partners daughter is on the Middleton team and heading up to GB tomorrow. Grandpa has been told by his doctors not to make the trip.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer

The Packers are suspending all business-related air travel for their employees, including coaches and scouts, the team said. Lambeau Field and the Packers-related businesses also will be closed for two weeks, beginning tomorrow. Lambeau Field and the adjacent Titletown will only have critical staff in place for non-public operations. The majority of other Packers personnel will be required to work remotely as duties permit.

ALERT: I am not wishing Tex come to harm, I am just tweaking him for his “it’s only a cold” approach.

Plus, think about how bad a cold/flu could be if you did not have a lifetime of exposure to build immunity, a mother who transferred some of her immunity to you, known transmission patterns, built-in hospital capacity and a vaccine (for flu).
    Do you know anybody who has this corona thing? Does anybody in here personally know anybody who does? There are 1,500 or so cases now in the whole country according to CNN, and about 40 deaths. There are 38 cases in Texas with zero deaths. And yet panicky fools are making a big deal about this.

I may be the oldest person in Packerrats - can anybody beat 72, 73 next month? And I sure as hell ain't worried. If your 10-15% thing is accurate, it reflects people with pre-existing sickness and compromised immune systems, in a lot of cases, nursing home patients. 29 of the 40 deaths have been in Washington state. My son lives there - suburbs of Seattle, and he says most people there are living normal lives, not a whole lot of panic, mainly for the reason I said - it's old sick people in nursing homes that are doing the dying - in the case of Washington state, originally due to contact with people who actually came from China.

Panic is just plain unjustified anywhere in this country. I won't say thank you, (you know who), but tune in to FYI if you can't figure it out, and be thankful we don't have the mess they have in Europe where their leaders are idiots.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Do you know anybody who has this corona thing? Does anybody in here personally know anybody who does? There are 1,500 or so cases now in the whole country according to CNN, and about 40 deaths. There are 38 cases in Texas with zero deaths. And yet panicky fools are making a big deal about this.

I may be the oldest person in Packerrats - can anybody beat 72, 73 next month? And I sure as hell ain't worried. If your 10-15% thing is accurate, it reflects people with pre-existing sickness and compromised immune systems, in a lot of cases, nursing home patients. 29 of the 40 deaths have been in Washington state. My son lives there - suburbs of Seattle, and he says most people there are living normal lives, not a whole lot of panic, mainly for the reason I said - it's old sick people in nursing homes that are doing the dying - in the case of Washington state, originally due to contact with people who actually came from China.

Panic is just plain unjustified anywhere in this country. I won't say thank you, (you know who), but tune in to FYI if you can't figure it out, and be thankful we don't have the mess they have in Europe where their leaders are idiots.
    I do. A client of mine is a school teacher in a suburb of Seattle. She had a student in her classroom with it. They were the last school in her district that was open. They are now closed for 3 weeks.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I'd ban you for this but I have to stop laughing first.
    Exactly.

Sharpe, send me some scans of the sport almanac man. Help a brother out!
    Wouldn't have helped. All the games are cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    The real reason they’re trying to slow the progression is to outlast the thing and prevent spikes that would overhwhelm hospitals.

That’s if the severity rate seen elsewhere for the elderly corresponds to this country.

I’m convinced that this thing is more severe for the very old and sick but also think it won’t be anywhere near 15% for that population. Will it be more or less severe than regular flu or H1N1? Don’t know. And now we may never know because if the result is less severe that could be because the virus is weaker or because of the precautions or both. If it’s more severe even with the precautions....holy hell.

Still, it isn’t a cold for Chrissakes.
    It is definitely more serious for the elderly and the already respiratory compromised. Not sure there is any debate about that at this point. The 10-15% number was specifically cited for the elderly.

But the older population and the compromised are the ones who will overrun resources as they will get sick at a higher rate.

There were reports out of Italy that some hospitals could not treat new patients at all, no matter the need. Palliative care was all that was left available to offer. They were out of beds, docs, nurses and equipment.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.