Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Coronavirus And Sports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pays to keep in mind that keeping large groups of people meeting (like a sporting event) isn’t to reduce chance of healthy people dying, though it helps.

The idea is that you slow progression through vulnerable populations, thereby really reducing mortality rates.

So healthy kids and young adults don’t accidentally infect Grandma or the neighbor with COPD or asthma.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Pays to keep in mind that keeping large groups of people meeting (like a sporting event) isn’t to reduce chance of healthy people dying, though it helps.

The idea is that you slow progression through vulnerable populations, thereby really reducing mortality rates.

So healthy kids and young adults don’t accidentally infect Grandma or the neighbor with COPD or asthma.
    Not only slow progression, but has already been shown to shorten the infection rate, and thereby the pandemic cycle. Otherwise, it just keeps going, and going and...

I also think we will be ok, mainly because the main players who originally thought this was nothing are starting to take it seriously. Unfortunately, I am in a higher age/risk group so am just paying closer attention.

I believe/hope all the rats make it just fine...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The real reason they’re trying to slow the progression is to outlast the thing and prevent spikes that would overhwhelm hospitals.

That’s if the severity rate seen elsewhere for the elderly corresponds to this country.

I’m convinced that this thing is more severe for the very old and sick but also think it won’t be anywhere near 15% for that population. Will it be more or less severe than regular flu or H1N1? Don’t know. And now we may never know because if the result is less severe that could be because the virus is weaker or because of the precautions or both. If it’s more severe even with the precautions....holy hell.

Still, it isn’t a cold for Chrissakes.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    The real reason they’re trying to slow the progression is to outlast the thing and prevent spikes that would overhwhelm hospitals.

That’s if the severity rate seen elsewhere for the elderly corresponds to this country.

I’m convinced that this thing is more severe for the very old and sick but also think it won’t be anywhere near 15% for that population. Will it be more or less severe than regular flu or H1N1? Don’t know. And now we may never know because if the result is less severe that could be because the virus is weaker or because of the precautions or both. If it’s more severe even with the precautions....holy hell.

Still, it isn’t a cold for Chrissakes.
    It is definitely more serious for the elderly and the already respiratory compromised. Not sure there is any debate about that at this point. The 10-15% number was specifically cited for the elderly.

But the older population and the compromised are the ones who will overrun resources as they will get sick at a higher rate.

There were reports out of Italy that some hospitals could not treat new patients at all, no matter the need. Palliative care was all that was left available to offer. They were out of beds, docs, nurses and equipment.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

With major sports wiped out, what does ESPN do now? Have they cancelled Australian Rules Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    With major sports wiped out, what does ESPN do now? Have they cancelled Australian Rules Football?
    ESPN was so much more fun before they actually got baseball and football.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer

The Packers are suspending all business-related air travel for their employees, including coaches and scouts, the team said. Lambeau Field and the Packers-related businesses also will be closed for two weeks, beginning tomorrow. Lambeau Field and the adjacent Titletown will only have critical staff in place for non-public operations. The majority of other Packers personnel will be required to work remotely as duties permit.

Nobody is panicking. It's all about being responsible and saving lives. The travel ban is stupid but shutting down schools, having people work from home, stopping sports, etc is an unbelievable show of unity to fight the spread and will ultimately make it dramatically smaller impact. If we did none of those things, every single America would get the virus. It's not over done and stupid. You're over done and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Nobody is panicking. It's all about being responsible and saving lives. The travel ban is stupid but shutting down schools, having people work from home, stopping sports, etc is an unbelievable show of unity to fight the spread and will ultimately make it dramatically smaller impact. If we did none of those things, every single America would get the virus. It's not over done and stupid. You're over done and stupid.
    hahahahahaha Typically, you've got it backwards. Keeping sick damn foreigners out - like the ones from China who brought us the problem in the first place - is obviously the best strategy. The fools in Italy and the rest of Europe were too damn dumb to do that - as you apparently wish for, based on your words here, and look what a mess they have.

Making virtually all Americans suffer with the various shutdowns is what it is - a gross overreaction, but I suppose it will cut down on the already low numbers of cases.

"If we did none of those things, every single America would get the virus." hahahahahaha and you say you're not panicking? Sheeeeesh, that's just ludicrous.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

If we did none of those things, every single America would get the virus.
    That’s a pretty stupid thing to write.

It's not over done and stupid. You're over done and stupid.
    Physician, heal thyself!

That’s a pretty stupid thing to write.
    Not really. That's not how exponential growth works. You don't think every single American would get a highly contagious virus with an up to two week incubation period before symptoms occur in many cases?

Every might be a stretch, I agree, but pretty much anybody's who's not a hermit will get the thing at some point if it continues to run rampant and we treat everything as business as usual.

That’s a pretty stupid thing to write
    Agreed. Probably more like 20% to 60% without any precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Agreed. Probably more like 20% to 60% without any precautions.
    I think 60% is probably closer than 20%, but I tend to think that's even a little low based on some quick napkin math and pretending I know what I'm talking about. Let's say 20% have it. Based on exponential spreading now reason to think two weeks later 80% wouldn't be exposed to it. There's no natural immunity yet AFAIK, so one would think exposure would lead to sickness. Of course, not all exposure would be new exposure per say, so that has to be accounted for as well.

Nobody is panicking..
    Seen the stock market lately?

Seen the stock market lately?
    Stock market crash isn't just about Corona.

Stop digging.

Stock market crash isn't just about Corona.
    Tell me more.

Tell me more.
    Everything is cyclical. The bull market had to correct at some point. The correction was triggered and worsened by the virus, but it was going to happen eventually. Here's one take: https://www.tradersmagazine.com/am/i...-market-crash/

Everything is cyclical. The bull market had to correct at some point. The correction was triggered and worsened by the virus, but it was going to happen eventually. Here's one take: https://www.tradersmagazine.com/am/i...-market-crash/
    So you're saying the 'correction' was in response to the virus.

Did anyone notice that the virus has essentially run it's course in China? They had 8 new cases yesterday and 15 the day before. Maybe the NBA can finish their season over there, if they allow infected Americans to come into their clean country.