Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Packerrats and COVID-19

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Packerrats and COVID-19

I've taken notice of the large percentage of this forum that are minorities. Studies show that in America, Blacks in particular have been falling victim more than any other group to this virus. All of us need to heed what the medical experts that say,:

Stay Home (unless you provide a critical service need)
    Make those trips to the grocery store count and try to avoid unnecessary repeat trips.
    Wear a mask and gloves when you must visit your Pharmacy/Grocery Store.Be sure to maintain a 6ft space between you and others.
    Wash your hands with soap and warm water.

We have all heard these things before, but repeating them just serves to reinforce their importance.

I wish everyone well, even those that have been less than civil in the past. Perhaps now is a good time to begin behaving with more tolerance.

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    There are two other threads on this:

One more about sports and less political:
    http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...rus-And-Sports

One more political and nasty:
    http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...id-COVID-19-do

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the well wishes Rad

I agree we should all co exist in peace and follow the rules tightly and enhance everybody's chances

I may be ignorant, but I really haven't noticed that a large percent is minorities but I tend to be blind to that stuff anyways.

Anyways, I hope you are your family are well and safe,
    Bretsky
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Wha-a-a-a-t? The large percentage in here are minorities? Who? I'd say more like few if any. I used to think APB was black, but he corrected me on that.

It is a valid point that a large percentage of corona cases seem to be black, though. However, I think that is more a question of geography than anything else living in urban areas where the virus has showed up. I don't think there's any studies showing that blacks or other minorities are more susceptible to it.

Good point about the two other threads, Rand.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Wha-a-a-a-t? The large percentage in here are minorities? Who? I'd say more like few if any. I used to think APB was black, but he corrected me on that.

It is a valid point that a large percentage of corona cases seem to be black, though. However, I think that is more a question of geography than anything else living in urban areas where the virus has showed up. I don't think there's any studies showing that blacks or other minorities are more susceptible to it.

Good point about the two other threads, Rand.
    well, I am an old black jew atheist nonpolitical guy in northern wisconsin, but wtf does that have to do with anything? We are all facing a medical issue that requires us to come together and try to meander thru this. Instead, things are devolving along political lines, and reinforcing my belief that we are fucked...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    well, I am an old black jew atheist nonpolitical guy in northern wisconsin, but wtf does that have to do with anything? We are all facing a medical issue that requires us to come together and try to meander thru this. Instead, things are devolving along political lines, and reinforcing my belief that we are fucked...
    It's amazing how you can tell with near certainty someone's political views based in their views of this crisis. Sad. The two should only have loose correlation.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    It's amazing how you can tell with near certainty someone's political views based in their views of this crisis. Sad. The two should only have loose correlation.
    Much of that is due to the msg's coming out of the white house....fed. gov't actions at least starting mid march say one thing, but the words and tweets coming from the president say something different.

Quote Originally Posted by LEWCWA View Post
    Much of that is due to the msg's coming out of the white house....fed. gov't actions at least starting mid march say one thing, but the words and tweets coming from the president say something different.
    You are mistaken. It was the message coming from the WHO, the CDC and the entire fucking world. Its tools like you that want to pretend...muh orange man bad!!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by LEWCWA View Post
    You identified part of the picture, but you're underscoring my point with what you chose to focus on.

Yea. I agree. It seems like the ones screaming "You need to be on lockdown" but then going about their own business are almost always.....well, I don't want to get political here.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Yea. I agree. It seems like the ones screaming "You need to be on lockdown" but then going about their own business are almost always.....well, I don't want to get political here.
    Impressive how you were able to underscore the point of a thread so completely by using yourself as an example.

And who do you see as to blame for that? The people just trying to help and mitigate this situation? Or the desperate assholes trying to overrule the electoral process and harm America and Americans in their efforts? You're probably correct that there should not be much correlation with political views, but the losers in the political process have made that impossible. Believe me, most Americans are acutely aware of what each side is doing.

oldbutnotdeadyet, if somebody says they are whatever in terms of ethnicity, I ain't gonna argue with them. I will say, though, I find what you say a bit hard to believe. Maybe you've been taking sarcasm lessons from Rand hahahahaha.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    And who do you see as to blame for that? The people just trying to help and mitigate this situation? Or the desperate assholes trying to overrule the electoral process and harm America and Americans in their efforts? You're probably correct that there should not be much correlation with political views, but the losers in the political process have made that impossible.
    I don’t come in here and post but just one question. How did All of these Democratic Governors become governor except through the electoral process?

How did the Senate and Congress and the President all get elected if not by the electoral process?

How do Democrats, Republicans, Tea Party, Libertians, Independents some how get elected to run our government if not through the electoral process?

Just because your party doesn’t win every election doesn’t mean it’s “desperate assholes trying to overrule the electoral process and harm America".
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

And who do you see as to blame for that? The people just trying to help and mitigate this situation? Or the desperate assholes trying to overrule the electoral process and harm America and Americans in their efforts? You're probably correct that there should not be much correlation with political views, but the losers in the political process have made that impossible. Believe me, most Americans are acutely aware of what each side is doing.

oldbutnotdeadyet, if somebody says they are whatever in terms of ethnicity, I ain't gonna argue with them. I will say, though, I find what you say a bit hard to believe. Maybe you've been taking sarcasm lessons from Rand hahahahaha.
    Human nature, motivated reasoning. You present the exact same facts and propose two different solutions, if you also indicate (random) party affiliations with these solutions the party is more important than facts to which is preferred.

Second part is people confronted with this freely see the bias in others, but are blind to their own.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

nm
    Last edited by Joemailman; 04-09-2020 at 05:47 PM.

I'm still waiting to hear who comprises that "large percentage of this forum that are minorities". Anybody want to step forward? Radagast, what is your basis for saying something like that?

I'm still waiting to hear who comprises that "large percentage of this forum that are minorities". Anybody want to step forward? Radagast, what is your basis for saying something like that?
    Place a white man in Harlem, NYC and he would stand out. The same metaphor applies here in this web site. Bias, statements concerning stories/situations, as well as other factors identify many as white or black or hispanic, etc. No negative criticisms or innuendo, just an observation.

"Experts" have been saying that minority groups are more susceptible to COVD-19 due to the socio/economic makeup of their communities. The truth of such theories is supported by the larger % of affected blacks (for instance) in relation to their actual % in the areas of many of the hardest hit places in the USA. In my opinion minorities may be more at risk due to so many with service jobs that place them in more direct contact with the public.

All of us need to be very careful as this dreadful virus, invisible and highly contagious, has no respect for race, economic status, sex, or ethnic origin. COVID-19 is blind to such things and requires our vigilance and adherence to the current rules set down in our various states. Personally I don't live that far from an elderly care facility that has tallied 39 deaths so far with more still fighting the virus. My intention was not to point any fingers at any groups, but to serve as a report of the facts currently being discussed in the public media.

Now is not the time for political stances or racial bigotry, but a time for all pull in the same direction for a while. There will be time many months down the road from now to revert back to uncivil and belligerent behavior, however now is not the time for such childish behavior/s.

My best to all, stay safe, stay strong !

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    Place a white man in Harlem, NYC and he would stand out. The same metaphor applies here in this web site. Bias, statements concerning stories/situations, as well as other factors identify many as white or black or hispanic, etc. No negative criticisms or innuendo, just an observation.

"Experts" have been saying that minority groups are more susceptible to COVD-19 due to the socio/economic makeup of their communities. The truth of such theories is supported by the larger % of affected blacks (for instance) in relation to their actual % in the areas of many of the hardest hit places in the USA. In my opinion minorities may be more at risk due to so many with service jobs that place them in more direct contact with the public.

All of us need to be very careful as this dreadful virus, invisible and highly contagious, has no respect for race, economic status, sex, or ethnic origin. COVID-19 is blind to such things and requires our vigilance and adherence to the current rules set down in our various states. Personally I don't live that far from an elderly care facility that has tallied 39 deaths so far with more still fighting the virus. My intention was not to point any fingers at any groups, but to serve as a report of the facts currently being discussed in the public media.

Now is not the time for political stances or racial bigotry, but a time for all pull in the same direction for a while. There will be time many months down the road from now to revert back to uncivil and belligerent behavior, however now is not the time for such childish behavior/s.

You coulda just said oops, and admitted you were wrong about "I've taken notice of the large percentage of this forum that are minorities".

I do tend to agree to you, "now is not the time for political stances or racial bigotry", but clearly one side is grasping at that lame straw a helluva lot more than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post

One thing I noticed as they started down this minority path, is they would say for instance 30% of the population in LA was black and 70% of the deaths were black....It would be much more telling if they stated the % of population in NO is black and what percentage of NO deaths are black....I'm sure it just didn't look as good! See Tex, I can call out spin on the evil lefts side! That like I said is the difference between you and I!