Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your early take on Jordan Love?

What’s your early take on Jordan Love?

What a shocker first round pick, IMO. Lindy’s draft magazine had him ranked as the 6th best QB in this years draft class.
    What’s your early feeling on Love?

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    What a shocker first round pick, IMO. Lindy’s draft magazine had him ranked as the 6th best QB in this years draft class.
    What’s your early feeling on Love?
    I feel the Packers believe they have found a formula taking raw unproven QBs and molding them into superstars, even though my personal belief is they have just been lucky with a once in a lifetime combination of Favre and Rodgers. Me thinks the law of probability will be a bitch...

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    A complete waste of a pick. He isn’t playing for 2 years with ARods contract at best and most likely not until 2024 and beyond.

Gute just put himself on the hot seat in my opinion. If we regress back towards 6-10 there is going to be rumblings in Packerland.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    . Me thinks the law of probability will be a bitch...
    I would feel the same way if I thought bringing in QBs was a random roll of the dice prospect. But I have some confidence in the Packers selecting franchise QBs over organizations like Cleveland and the Bears. It’s not a stochastic process so I think there’s a far better than 50-50 chance this kid is the next successful face of the organization.

However, there are some critical differences between the two choices. In 2005, Rodgers was a top-notch prospect some thought could be the no. 1 pick in the draft who inexplicably fell to the Packers late in the first round. This time around, the Packers traded up to snag one of the shakiest quarterbacks in the draft. Love checked in at no. 32 on Danny Kelly’s Big Board after a junior season in which he led all FBS quarterbacks with 17 interceptions despite the modest quality of play in the Mountain West conference; Rodgers threw only a total 13 interceptions in his two seasons at Cal. I don’t get why the Packers needed to trade up—they had the 30th pick, but gave up a fourth-rounder to bypass the Dolphins (who had already drafted Tagovailoa), the Seahawks (who have Russell Wilson), the Ravens (who have reigning MVP Lamar Jackson), and the Titans (who just gave a huge extension to Ryan Tannehill).

The choice is made stranger by the fact that the Packers are essentially incapable of moving on from Rodgers until 2022. He has at least $30 million cap hits in each of the next two seasons, and Green Bay would have to eat that cap space if it traded or cut him. It’s also worth noting that Aaron Rodgers is one of the league’s premier grudge-holders. Hopefully he’s on board with the team’s decision to draft his successor!

The Packers had a chance to improve their roster in the waning years of Rodgers’s career; instead they gave up assets to make a questionable choice about his eventual replacement, knowing he likely won’t play for at least two seasons. They tried to re-create the magic of the Rodgers pick, but seem to have ignored all the reasons the Rodgers pick was impossible to re-create.
    https://www.theringer.com/2020/4/24/...-roger-goodell
    Go PACK

“It’s worth noting Rodgers is one of the leagues premier grudge holders.”

Also, they can’t afford to get rid of him until 2022.

So Unless there is an injury, Love won’t see the field for two years. Is Rodgers going to ‘hold a grudge’ by tanking the team the next two years? Wouldn’t that just prove the Packers wise to draft a QB.

Seems the grudge holder will more likely get pissed and play lights out to make the Packers regret having to make a tough choice in 2022.

I'm not worried about the Rodgers grudge factor. I'm pissed at the fact we drafted a guy who won't see the field for 2 or 3 years. This isn't the 90's or 2000's where qb's sit for years. You draft a qb to take advantage of the cheap years on his rookie deal.
    Go PACK

Ground Rat
    well, I'll say this pick makes more sense than Gary at 12 last year..but Gary at 12 last year makes drafting another project, one that is going to sit for the next 3 years barring an injury perplexing.

I liked Love a lot prior to the draft. If he's got the head they can coach him up because he his physical traits and mechanics don't need much work.

If we get 2018 love in 3 or 4 years good to great pick. If we get 2019 love in 3 or 4 years then this will be stupid!
    I would have preferred a wr or ilb...

Low completion percentage and low net ypa, I don't like at all.
    Last edited by Upnorth; 04-24-2020 at 08:07 AM.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It was time to draft the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    You draft a qb to take advantage of the cheap years on his rookie deal.
    Sure, it’s nice work if you can get it. More teams seem to be gambling on this model, but I’m not convinced it routinely works.

I believe the time to draft a QB to replace your franchise QB is before you need him. I’m not thrilled at the prospect of relying on a rookie QB.

Of course, there is a huge difference between the Packers and other franchises. Packers aren’t routinely drafting a QB at the top of the first round for a reason. Teams that draft the high QB expect him to play right away, mostly because the position is open.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I'm not worried about the Rodgers grudge factor. I'm pissed at the fact we drafted a guy who won't see the field for 2 or 3 years. This isn't the 90's or 2000's where qb's sit for years. You draft a qb to take advantage of the cheap years on his rookie deal.
    THIS
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Good size, Good feet, fast adjustment, quick ball release, strong arm, accurate both in pocket and on the move, 27 Wonderlic

That’s what I like.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Good size, Good feet, fast adjustment, quick ball release, strong arm, accurate both in pocket and on the move, 27 Wonderlic

That’s what I like.
    Poor man's Jason Campbell.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Blog Entries
    Talent is there IMO; said that for months

The bads: Decision making, bad reads, and character risk
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

That’s what I like.
    How did he do on the condescending eyerolls test?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

Sounds like the good times are back in GB!!

Ground Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

character risks? I've not seen that.

is it decision making or was it an offense thing having changed coaching staffs from Jr to Sr because Jr year decision making was excellent.

reading defenses is where he needs to grow. I think I saw he's fine on man to man but zones give him issues. that can be learned.

This is the most glass half full report I read:

NFC scout: “First round for sure. I have him No. 2 behind Tua (Tagovailoa). Super talented, moxie, excellent feel. He throws the ball from all the angles: on the move, under pressure. Has vision. Had a lot of picks: ‘I’m just going to throw this ball in there.’ He’s under siege just about every time he drops back because his offensive line is not good. He’s got nowhere close to NFL receivers; they can’t get open and drop balls. He has to elevate his game on every play and elevate the whole team on every play. One of the best plays you’ll see was in the LSU game when he escapes the pocket and he’s out on the move and throws the ball across his body and it hits (the receiver) in the chest and he drops the ball. That’s just kind of him in a nutshell. I’d prefer it if he goes somewhere where he doesn’t have to play next year.”

And this is the opposite:

AFC scout: “I’m not a fan. Everybody else seems to be. Does he make smart decisions? I don’t think so. Average arm strength. Slow decision-maker. I don’t know if he reads coverages. Wide receivers have to work to make tough adjustment catches. Elusive, not fast. Everybody keeps telling me 2018 was different. Why did he regress? There’s a lot of excuses. Somebody’s going to take a shot here. I don’t know if it’s worth it. Some people have tried to compare him to Mahomes but I don’t see it.”
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    It was time to draft the future.

I was taken aback when I read that the Packers had taken this guy. I would have preferred that they had tried to move ahead of Baltimore and get Queen, or trade back and get an extra pick. Those were the scenarios I'd been hoping for.

Here are a few observations:

-It's crazy that Tex, the ultimate Aaron Rodgers lover (I waste no time getting into the bad puns), sounds eminently more reasonable about this pick than others on this board.

-No one seems to have mentioned yet (though I might have missed it) that this is also a huge, huge test for LeFleur. Can he develop a QB?

-More than a few posters are worried that Rodgers will take this news badly and be pissy. Two things: we've been talking for a couple years now that Rodgers is pissy, and getting pissier. So what's changed there? Is he going to roll his eyes even more now? Dude was already acting like a prima donna. Secondly, Would he be any less pissy next year if you took a QB then?

Here's another point about the "we shoulda waited until next year" crowd: this assumes that your future starting QB can just be plucked off a tree. Several posters have said Rodgers gets this team eight wins alone. So say he does that next year, but the rest of the team lets him down (because so many of you think the team is bereft of talent). They go 8 - 8, and draft 15th or 16th. From what I have read of this Love kid, he's got incredible physical tools, just top-notch. But he's as raw as a turnip and needs lots and lots of development. Those guys don't come along that often - each year you get your top top tier guys with the skills and the development, and in most drafts you then get a bunch of marginal dudes. A guy like this (incredible skills but poor development) is not likely to be available next year. This was a unique opportunity as I see it - the guy has mad skills, but teams saw a project, and who has time for that in the NFL? Well, not many teams - but the Packers do. IF Rodgers's health holds up, and that's a question mark, Green Bay (specifically, The Flower) will have two years to develop this kid. If it works, you got your franchise quarterback at the end of the first round. That doesn't happen often, Jackson nothwithstanding. And if it doesn't work, well, Gutey may hang on that choice.

-This is definitely the defining moment of Gute's career. If this backfires, then he's going to go down as a Ted wannabe. His first draft class outside of Jaire already looks shaky. This pick will define Gute's legacy. He made some smart FA signings last year, but you can't make a living doing that every year - it costs too much. At some point you've got to prove your mettle as a draft guru. This is the moment for him.

- The Packers are looking ahead. I think the win-now mentality is often the undoing of many teams. Case in point: the Lions. They got the ultimatum from Martha Ford to win this year, and so they did not take a franchise QB and could not trade down to get extra picks. So they got a very talented corner, but one they probably could've gotten three or four picks later. The mandate to win now cost them, I think. The Packers are planning for life after Rodgers, and this Love kid has the tools (though whether they can develop those tools is an open question). This organization is the perfect landing spot for that kid. IF Rodgers stays healthy, the kid has a couple years to figure it all out. Maybe even three. And the team has a fifth year option, so they'll know for sure by year four if he's the guy. If he is, you got him and you extend him. If he's not, you dump him, fire Gute (if he's not already gone or won a couple SB's), and start again.

- Oh, and GBBrandon, who is absolutely shitting his pants, has said that this kid is a character risk, and posted a link - and the link led to an article about marijuana possession. Okay, if that's his worst, then 90% of NFL players are dangerous character risks. The kid is probably dumb - he IS a kid, and he's probably arrogant - like all talented young QB's - and he maybe immature, and maybe is an asshat. But we've seen all that before. Time can help mature him.

-Finally, let's all look at what the Ultimate Talent Evaluator has to say about this kid. And I quote: "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

Sounds like it could work out. I'm willing to wait. But was it what I wanted? No. I'd be much happier if Patrick Queen were a Packer today. Or if we were talking about who the Packers would take tonight with their first pick at the beginning of the second round, and whether they'd package their two fourth rounders to try to get back into the third round so they could grab another high-end receiver or an offensive lineman or a cornerback. Or something.
    Last edited by Fritz; 04-24-2020 at 09:01 AM.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack