Thread: Torn Rotators without surgery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hey Zool. Totally missed this thread and I'm wondering how you're doing.

I'm not a doctor, but I work in medical. I read a study that long-term prognosis for middle-aged people with SLAP injuries is not great, but if it's a tendon or muscle injury to one of the SITS muscles, it would mostly depend on the severity of the injury. If you are experiencing extreme limitations, you probably will not see great results with physical therapy, but everyone is different.

Do you know if it's a complete tear or an avulsion away from the bone? You are best served by getting diagnostic imaging to determine the actually best course of action. Failing that, having a couple sessions of PT in direct observation of a professional will help identify the areas where you need work.

I don't know your insurance situation, but typically an MRI requires an x-ray and a trip to the ortho doc or the physical therapist requires a trip to your PCM for a referral. It all gets very costly very quickly.

If you need help wading through the referral mess, you can PM me and I can potentially help with that.

If you're keeping things within your own lane, keep in mind there's therapy to help heal the injury and then therapy to help correct any imbalance that might have brought it on. Your shoulders (and I know this applies to me and many others as well) are probably well forward of where they should be. Strengthening your rhomboids can help keep your shoulder blades back and keep you in a more neutral position and (perhaps) keep you from exacerbating the injury again. Again, I have to stress I'm not a doctor, but just something to chew on.

Here's a pretty decent resource for exercise that you might consider: http://news.meyerpt.com/physical-the...houlder-rehab/
    Last edited by smuggler; 09-07-2021 at 01:45 AM. Reason: hur durrr, wurds