View Poll Results: DOES AROD play as long as Tom Brady at a similar level of quality ??

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

4 18.18%
  • NO

18 81.82%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AROD vs BRADY

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Well that clears it up. He’ll be here for camp. Maybe he’ll miss 5 days to send the final message, I don’t know.
    That rule doesn't apply. I think Rodgers gets a year towards his contract if he shows up by week 10 of the regular season just like Leveon Bell when he was tagged. That rule is for rookies and undrafted FA I would guess, but have no real knowledge of it. Rodgers doesn't need "accrued years" at this point.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Rodgers went on Kenny Mayne and said there is an organizational problem in how they treat people. In the same conversation he said the Packers drafted Jordan Love and probably didn’t expect him to go on to win the MVP. If the problem was “people” and an example of that is drafting Rodgers replacement, I think you can read between the lines that he thinks they move on from good players too soon. I think you can further read between the lines that he sees them trying to replace him and since they’re doing whatever they have to do with no loyalty then he’s going to do the same. He’s not going to show up and play by a different set of rules and loyalties when they are not.

As far as how he’s going to conduct himself once he gets here, he loves his teammates, has no kids, not married.... football is a big part of his life and his heart. Once he’s here, yeah, the loyalty to the teammates and coaches and loyalty to the season will come through.

It will all be fine but he’s showing a front office that will cut ties with anyone that he’s going to look out for himself too and not just be cast aside when they feel like it. If they don’t want to give him an extension, he doesn’t have to keep coming to all this offseason stuff either. No loyalty is no loyalty and both sides can do that.
    But he signed the contract. If he wanted to play by different rules he could have signed a 2 year deal and play it year to year. He wanted the fat signing bonus. He is under a contract based on the NFLPA unions negotiations which means the team can trade him or cut him. If he doesn't like it he needed to be more involved in that side of football. Yes, when outlaying monster signing bonuses teams structure them in a way to be able to move on if necessary. Players go for all the guaranteed money they can get. He has options, but they are limited. The team has options as well. Its a BIG reason teams have to be careful when giving big bonuses to guys like Antonio Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    If I was gonna play devil's advocate and say Rodgers does not play to the same age or more as Brady, I'd be saying that the overriding fact is that Brady has a 6 year head start. He's dodged mines to age 43, while Rodgers has 6+ years to go crossing the same mine field.

Just the same, I'm confident Rodgers has every other factor going in his favor including the GOAT motivation - I'm pretty sure he is driven by his ego to out do Brady including career duration. And as I've said several times, it will be a damn shame, a capital offense for Gutekunst if he doesn't finish with the Packers.
    He may be driven by his ego, but that is different than driven to obsess like Brady. Brady is different. He will lie cheat and steal to win. Rodgers has ability, but will never have the character flaw Brady has that is the difference. Rodgers character flaw is the chip that drove him to be great, but will also drive him to stunts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    He may be driven by his ego, but that is different than driven to obsess like Brady. Brady is different. He will lie cheat and steal to win. Rodgers has ability, but will never have the character flaw Brady has that is the difference. Rodgers character flaw is the chip that drove him to be great, but will also drive him to stunts like this.
    Very True, and some people actually criticize him for that - Rodgers I mean, of course they criticize Brady.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

But he signed the contract. If he wanted to play by different rules he could have signed a 2 year deal and play it year to year. He wanted the fat signing bonus. He is under a contract based on the NFLPA unions negotiations which means the team can trade him or cut him. If he doesn't like it he needed to be more involved in that side of football. Yes, when outlaying monster signing bonuses teams structure them in a way to be able to move on if necessary. Players go for all the guaranteed money they can get. He has options, but they are limited. The team has options as well. Its a BIG reason teams have to be careful when giving big bonuses to guys like Antonio Brown.
    He can miss however much time he wants that still allows him to collect his pay check. That is in his power and screws the team over big. That’s part of the rules too. If the team can use every rule and contract detail to their advantage, the player can to. Rodgers is proving two can play the same game and treat it as just a business.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

That rule doesn't apply. I think Rodgers gets a year towards his contract if he shows up by week 10 of the regular season just like Leveon Bell when he was tagged. That rule is for rookies and undrafted FA I would guess, but have no real knowledge of it. Rodgers doesn't need "accrued years" at this point.
    I think the accrual really only matters for early career/contract players to establish whether they are restricted free agents. After year four, it shouldn't matter.

What matters for Rodgers is whether he gets credit for a year per his contract. Week 10 isn't the right answer either as that's for franchise tagged players. It's probably 6-8 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I think the accrual really only matters for early career/contract players to establish whether they are restricted free agents. After year four, it shouldn't matter.

What matters for Rodgers is whether he gets credit for a year per his contract. Week 10 isn't the right answer either as that's for franchise tagged players. It's probably 6-8 weeks.
    I wonder what he needs to do to collect his full or nearly full paycheck and not have to pay back signing bonus. That would give us a timeline for resolution.

Double post

I wonder what he needs to do to collect his full or nearly full paycheck and not have to pay back signing bonus. That would give us a timeline for resolution.
    He'll have a healthy fine if he skips training camp. As far as the salary, I think it's by game week, so it's a matter of how much be wants to leave in the table. Going beyond 6 or so weeks risks not counting as a year on his contract.

He'll have a healthy fine if he skips training camp. As far as the salary, I think it's by game week, so it's a matter of how much be wants to leave in the table. Going beyond 6 or so weeks risks not counting as a year on his contract.

A. Rodgers shows up for TC and this isn't a big deal but rodgers has tail between legs

B. Rodgers gets a new deal and then shows up. Packers cave

Or

C. Rodgers shows up when the games count, ruins the season and now he gets traded next offseason. No one caves.

Murphy's comment about Rodgers being considered complicated tells me C is a real option. They're not gonna mortgage the future on an almost 40 year old quarterback who's under contract for 3 years. Rodgers demands might be too much and this blows up. In which case, we get to see Love throw for 4,000 yards and a 28 touchdowns in a 6-11 losing season. Oh well. A new DT next draft and all is good.

If it all blows up, I support what Rodgers tried to do and his fight against the American business way. And I support the Packers for not caving and sticking with their win under the salary cap winning formula. If rodgers gets a new deal we’re probably not winning any Owls anyway because of the salary cap implication. Rodgers just made it so hostile that moving on may be the only option.

In hindsight, we shoulda taken the Stafford deal. I highly doubt anything close will be available going forward.

He can miss however much time he wants that still allows him to collect his pay check. That is in his power and screws the team over big. That’s part of the rules too. If the team can use every rule and contract detail to their advantage, the player can to. Rodgers is proving two can play the same game and treat it as just a business.
    Is Rodgers really hurting the team all that much? Does anybody seriously think the monetary penalties he faces mean anything to him?

Is Rodgers really hurting the team all that much? Does anybody seriously think the monetary penalties he faces mean anything to him?
    If Rodgers doesn't show up until the games count that messes up the offense big with no training camp practice. Absolutely that's a tool in his toolbox to get the new deal he wants

About $2million in fines for missing all of camp. I think that stings even for Rodgers.

If Rodgers doesn't show up until the games count that messes up the offense big with no training camp practice. Absolutely that's a tool in his toolbox to get the new deal he wants
    I would expect him to stop just short of that. The team should be well prepared with or without him, and it shouldn't take him any more time to get up to speed than it takes between one week's game and the next. Rodgers' net worth supposedly is $120 million. His salary and roster bonus for this year is well over $20 million. So I doubt $2 million hits him all that hard, and even if he's not primarily motivated by more money, he undoubtedly will have his income increased by well over the $2 million figure.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It doesn’t matter how long his bitch ass plays he will never have half the rings Brady does.

Very True, and some people actually criticize him for that - Rodgers I mean, of course they criticize Brady.
    I call it a character flaw for a reason. You can be driven to greatness and still be a horrible human being by the same trait. Brady, Jordan, and many others are incredible dicks in every day life....but its that same behavior that drives them to obsess to greatness.

Agreed. If he sits to week 10 and shows up, he is within his rights. He won't get paid for week 1-10 though. And the team can have him on the bench for weeks 11 on. Then we can do it again next year. As I said, he has options, as does the team. Who wants to be the bigger asshole? And honestly people will differ on which side is being unreasonable.

good point. I'm not sure now that you mention it. I used the week 10 as I've heard it as the timeframe a player has to show up by to get credit. I guess technically Rodgers contract might state the years and he doesn't have to show up at all...but I'm positive they don't have to pay him then. And he still would have 2 more years. And they COULD go after the signing bonus (how successful is anyones guess)