Vernon Scott
    Splashed as a rookie
    Hard to say 2nd year

Jonathan Garvin
    Redshirt
    Who knows?
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Love is a wildcard

Dillon, Deguara, Runyan and Kamal all flashed as rookies. They leave some hope for a solid productive draft class developing in their second year.

A bunch of unlikely fliers after that

Gutes first draft with Alexander gets a B
    His second draft with Gary/Savage/Elgton/Keke looks like an A- in the making
    His third draft has a high upside QB and some decent rookie production after that. It has a chance of being a likely B- type draft

Early in Gutes tenure, he’s drafted some star players and some good contributors. Early signs are that he’s a B level GM. The question is, with a little time in the job and with some continuity with his assembled staff, can he rise to a level higher than solid. We want a championship, not playoff runs. Does he have it in him to take the next step.

Honestly, I think the arrow points up. The 2022 draft will be a make or break draft for Gute. A lot of players opted into another year of college ball. Gute has a stable staff. He needs a monster 2022.

Too early to tell. Haven't even seen some of these guys play in a preseason game because of Covid. Final draft grade depends on what they have in Jordan Love, aside from him there's not a lot here to go on and this probably becomes a C grade draft.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Too early to tell. Haven't even seen some of these guys play in a preseason game because of Covid. Final draft grade depends on what they have in Jordan Love, aside from him there's not a lot here to go on and this probably becomes a C grade draft.
    That’s possible. And 2021 shouldn’t be a very good draft because word is, a bunch of players chose the 5th year opt in for school and that made the draft shallow. The 2022 draft should be deeper though. I’m gonna wait to see what the 2022 draft looks like before I decide if Gute is a success or failure.

A big fat F, on draft day and now. The most I ever upgrade is to C if Love becomes HoF

Nothing against Love, but it was bad then and now it's Chernobyl. It could wreck the franchise for years. And I believe Murphy & Gute have to go. This is the worst screw up in the league in a while and in Franchise history (though it could still be fixed -- I still want Murph & Gute gone).

Both Dillon and Deguara were overdrafted by position & need. Nothing against them as players or team fits, but it was a wasted draft. Zero contribution last year.

The Garvin pick looks is currently looking like a good value.

If his performance continues to improve, it might be a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    The Garvin pick looks is currently looking like a good value.

If his performance continues to improve, it might be a steal.
    Dillon, Runyan and Garvin look like good picks. Jury still out on Love. DeGuara and Scott have a chance if they can get and stay healthy. Others look like misses.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

It's essentially Deguara's rookie year. He's seeing the field more, which is nice.

I'd give it a C- at this point, but it's still too early IMO.
    Based on value, some players were overdrafted which doesn't help but Runyan and Dillon are effectively starters - or would be for other teams.
    Garvin is starting with injuries at OLB but I don't think he's starter-worthy yet.
    Jordan Love is at a minimum a semi-competent backup who could probably get you through a half of football if Rodgers had to leave a game (God forbid), but needs more time/snaps for more than that. He should improve over time.
    We'll know re: Deguara next year; TE's take a while to really figure it out and he lost a year with the ACL. He's done some good and some bad. He's shown more than Sternberger, but I'm not sure he's better than Dafney (who he's battling for the same role).
    Kamal Martin looked like a really decent pick for GB... until he wasn't.

Will be a good thread to revisit in another year.

Stepaniak looked decent until his body betrayed him. Deguara might become a good player but he certainly looks like an overdraft.

Scott and Garvin were the 236th and 242nd players selected. They don't have to become starters to be good picks. If they're just decent role players, they're good picks. If they become starters, they're steals. Runyan as a 6th round pick is also close to a steal. If there was a reach in this draft it was DeGuara. That can still be an okay pick, or it could be a bust. I see this as a decent draft that could be great if Love becomes the next Packer stud QB.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Scott and Garvin were the 236th and 242nd players selected. They don't have to become starters to be good picks. If they're just decent role players, they're good picks. If they become starters, they're steals. Runyan as a 6th round pick is also close to a steal. If there was a reach in this draft it was DeGuara. That can still be an okay pick, or it could be a bust. I see this as a decent draft that could be great if Love becomes the next Packer stud QB.
    Fair point. I think getting starts and quality play out of Runyan makes up for drafting a RB in R2. Granted, Dillon is a good RB, but drafting RBs high is not for everyone.
    Getting meaningful snaps from Garvin and hopefully Scott isn't nothing, especially since they are basically a small step above being UDFAs. Being even average players who can sub in to give starters a break without crapping the bed will make them good picks.

It might not be fair to ding them for Kamal Martin; he did some good last year and he's on the active roster for CAR, so he's at least worthy of an NFL roster spot.

As I said it's still a little early for this class because Covid wrecked their first offseason and it usually take 3 years to really get a sense of a class. There's a chance this class could be a very good one, but for now it's 'ok'.
    I would NOT give this draft a failing grade. It absolutely makes sense to draft a good backup (and possible protege) for your 39 year old QB. They didn't handle it well with said QB; that's a separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Stepaniak looked decent until his body betrayed him. Deguara might become a good player but he certainly looks like an overdraft.
    Agree. Stepaniak was a super strong G-T who could looked like a fit in a mauler/enforcer role. Too bad about the knee injury.

I tend to subscribe to the theory that they liked Deguara and overdrafted him because they traded away their R4 and didn't think he'd be there in R5. I think he was a pure MLF pick.
    Dafney's emergence last year might make him expendable but I think they'll give Deguara plenty of rope this year to figure it out. He was a big piece of the offense for UCincinnati and could be a weapon in this offense. Too early to give up on him or call him a bust, but agree he was overdrafted.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    An overdraft? Does he bounce? Or just cost a fee?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaire View Post
    A big fat F, on draft day and now. The most I ever upgrade is to C if Love becomes HoF

Nothing against Love, but it was bad then and now it's Chernobyl. It could wreck the franchise for years. And I believe Murphy & Gute have to go. This is the worst screw up in the league in a while and in Franchise history (though it could still be fixed -- I still want Murph & Gute gone).

Both Dillon and Deguara were overdrafted by position & need. Nothing against them as players or team fits, but it was a wasted draft. Zero contribution last year.
    Hello skip bayless.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

The most I ever upgrade is to C if Love becomes HoF
    lol okay

I would definitly fire the guys that engineered a 31-7 start to their time together.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Just thought this needed to be brought up.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

not a great draft other then nailing the first pick