Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Jordan Love Bandwagon Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    you can't delete a post, it stays there forever as a reminder to everyone in the world that you fucked up

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    and I should (and do) know

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    If you had paid attention to PR during that draft, I laid this all out. Love was awesome in 2018. Then, Utah State lost 9 of their other 10 starters on offense. They were overmatched. Love still looked good at moments that season (e.g. Michigan State).
    I'm sure you are right Harve. I've long admired your ability to scout out all these obscure ball players from Nowhere Tech, etc. The problem is me. Since 08 or so, I've given up on any advance work on the draft. I treat the draft as presents under the Christmas tree. Post draft I look at the stuff on the draftees we gathered up. Most of what I saw on Love wasn't very impressive. But as said, it was from 19. It wasn't til I saw Sparky's post re: Packer Report did I really see the Cuts from '18.

Far more impressive QB play by Love. Back shoulder routes in the end zone right on rhythm, touch passes over the middle also right on pace, long passes out side the numbers to his left. The Kid has every club in the bag. It's still a long walk to star NFL QB, but at least our boy has the tools. Now can he perform in a league game?

Don't know for sure, but I'm gaining confidence.

It's really going to be fun to watch. I'm curious as to whether or how much Love will play in the preseason now that he's The Guy.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

MLF said Jordan Love would play in the preseason. I'd think that means it's more like the early Rodgers days where he'd play like a quarter one game, then a half, and then nothing.

I would expect them to tackle better and the offense to execute more cleanly earlier in the season if they play some preseason.

I think not giving their starters playing time in the preseason was smart from a health standpoint, but bad from a performance standpoint. They often looked slow and overmatched in their first game or two, as though they had to adjust to game speed and working together, timing, etc. MLF probably felt they could take a mulligan in Game 1 of the season with Rodgers and a fully healthy team, with 16 more games to go. Last year must certainly have been the wake up call. An 8-9 team can't afford to give away any games.

I'll be curious to see what they do about backup QB. They don't have cap space, there's not much out there anyway, and they have to do better than Danny Etling. I'd assume they take a flier on a QB in the draft.

I'm on board.

Anyone who knows me knows I've never been a Rodgers fan. There was a reason he fell to Green Bay in the draft and he's displayed that reason for 18 years.

He's a head case, always has been. Then of course there is the fact he's never been able to throw a 5 yard out, a screen or a slant. His consistently under throwing, over throwing, dirt balls and the fact he can't hit anyone in stride. This past season he didn't have the cast to make him look good. And for as much as Favre didn't know what defenses he was playing against, Rodgers can't figure it out running the entire play clock down. When the game is on the line, we need 3 yards - Rodgers goes deep. That's not LaFleur, that's Rodgers.

Last season all he had to to was hand the ball off and let the run set up the pass but he made poor decisions in the RPO and I grew very tired of the Mike McCarthy offense still being around when he isn't.

It's been a painful 18 years for me to watch this narcissist.

As for Love, time will tell. He's got the talent, he shown he's matured from season to season. Will it be enough? I guess that depends on the rest of the team. I am a Packer fan and I watch them come hell or high water no matter who is playing on the team. That doesn't mean I can't be pissed off at certain players for thinking they are bigger than the team =).
    "Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I'm on board.

Anyone who knows me knows I've never been a Rodgers fan. There was a reason he fell to Green Bay in the draft and he's displayed that reason for 18 years.

He's a head case, always has been. Then of course there is the fact he's never been able to throw a 5 yard out, a screen or a slant. His consistently under throwing, over throwing, dirt balls and the fact he can't hit anyone in stride. This past season he didn't have the cast to make him look good. And for as much as Favre didn't know what defenses he was playing against, Rodgers can't figure it out running the entire play clock down. When the game is on the line, we need 3 yards - Rodgers goes deep. That's not LaFleur, that's Rodgers.

Last season all he had to to was hand the ball off and let the run set up the pass but he made poor decisions in the RPO and I grew very tired of the Mike McCarthy offense still being around when he isn't.

As for Love, time will tell. He's got the talent, he shown he's matured from season to season. Will it be enough? I guess that depends on the rest of the team. I am a Packer fan and I watch them come hell or high water no matter who is playing on the team. That doesn't mean I can't be pissed off at certain players for thinking they are bigger than the team =).
    Damn, it’s the anti-Tex!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Most of ya'all are "the anti-Tex" - just different shades of wrongheadedness. This piece of shit, Merlin, adds blindness to that wrongheadedness hahahaha.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I'm on board.

Yea....so most of that is pure crap.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Most of ya'all are "the anti-Tex" - just different shades of wrongheadedness. This piece of shit, Merlin, adds blindness to that wrongheadedness hahahaha.
    Thanks for the compliment.

Take no heed. Merlin couldn't even be happy when the Packers went to the Super Bowl. http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...ht=#post570733
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Well he's not completely wrong. Rodgers is a complicated fella after all.
    There were too many RPOs last year, and Rodgers stubbornly let defenses dictate and bait him. Also the important third threat of RPO (the QB run) wasn't a threat.
    He more than occasionally threw deep on 3rd and short, and regularly ignored receivers running free.

So there are nuggets of on-field truth, and the off field stuff I can live without but it's (usually) tolerable if your QB is MVP or HOF level.

Throwing deep on 3rd and one makes defenses and coordinators have to respect the whole field on every short yardage play. It’s smart, especially if you have a QB who can hit on a few of them too. The reward is more than just the chance of hitting, it makes the times you do run the ball or throw short even more productive too.

Count me in as a fan of the deep shots on short yardage plays.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Throwing deep on 3rd and one makes defenses and coordinators have to respect the whole field on every short yardage play. It’s smart, especially if you have a QB who can hit on a few of them too. The reward is more than just the chance of hitting, it makes the times you do run the ball or throw short even more productive too.

It also makes you punt more.

There's slight uptick in quality, but when we played pickup football after college marching band practice, there was a rocket-armed guy who always wanted to be QB. He'd draw up a play and on every snap would launch it to the furthest receiver downfield. Whenever my side was shorthanded, I would cover two receivers and take the deeper one when they split up. And every dang time, he would throw it right at me.

Anyway, take that into account with Mr. Chuck It Over The Mountains.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Don't recall that happening very often the last year, or even two.

KYPack

It's not that Rodgers wasn't justified in throwing deep occasionally on short yardage, it's a question of whether he was doing it too often.

There is certainly a place for an occasional deep throw on short yardage but there's gotta be a point at which you are doing it too much. If he threw half as many deep balls, would that have been enough to keep the defense honest? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    It's not that Rodgers wasn't justified in throwing deep occasionally on short yardage, it's a question of whether he was doing it too often.

There is certainly a place for an occasional deep throw on short yardage but there's gotta be a point at which you are doing it too much. If he threw half as many deep balls, would that have been enough to keep the defense honest? Probably.
    True. Maybe it was too much. But there are some benefits that go beyond the success rate of the plays. It’s probably not as bad as most fans think in the long run and probably not as good as Rodgers thinks either.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Rodgers last pass as a Packer was an INT deep down the right sideline on a 3-10 play. That was too common an occurrence in recent years. (The decision, not the INT).
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Generally I'm not a fan -- I think you keep moving the chains on a 3rd or 4th and short. On 2nd and short -- absolutely take a shot.

It's more of a situational thing for me.
    If you're inside FG range and you like your matchup, I could see going for a deep shot, but if you're at 3rd and 2 from your own 35, just pick up the first down and keep marching down the field.

Throwing deep is a boom-or-bust proposition, and the probability of success is low. Losing Adams hurt Rodgers last year, as did injuries and age.