Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Jordan Love Bandwagon Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    Last I heard, the new contract contained a 13.5 million signing bonus. 6.5 million base in 24 and 2.5 million xtra in earnable incentives.
    Which means his cap hit is more in 2023 than it would have been. It's offset, more or less, by the restructure they did with Darnell Savage.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

It sounds like they're not giving up on Savage - planning on a bigger role for him next year. As for Love, obviously they aren't gonna just let go of him. It sounds, though, like they aren't confident enough to lock him up beyond next season and the season after. If he doesn't show enough, he'll be gone after that, but if he does come through, he'll probably be damn expensive to keep after that. I suppose, this way is the middle ground.

For those who don't believe the cap can be handled, that's what this is - the Savage thing and the Love thing. It actually woulda been cheaper cap-wise to long term Love now, but then they'd be commited long term.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Besides giving the Packers dome protection, it's good that Love signed this because it shows he is confident enough to bet on himself.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Besides giving the Packers dome protection, it's good that Love signed this because it shows he is confident enough to bet on himself.
    Packers will never build a dome.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    For those who don't believe the cap can be handled
    Narrator: nobody believes that cap can't be manipulated

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I may be misreading the terms. The extension was $22.5m, but that doesn't include what he gets this year in a restructure, so that would be $22.5m + 2023 salary. Plus, he would get more upfront money--which has value. His base for this year is $2.3m and the 5th year option would be $20.2m, so total of $22.5m max on the old deal.
    Ok, maybe. I was seeing it the other way. I wasn’t seeing a one year 22.5 extension, I was seeing a two year 22.5 total and I was totally baffled how everyone was adding that up as more money. If they add on one year and 22.5 more, it’s a little different.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Which means his cap hit is more in 2023 than it would have been. It's offset, more or less, by the restructure they did with Darnell Savage.
    Yes.

It sounds like they're not giving up on Savage - planning on a bigger role for him next year.
    Giving up? He's still on his 5th year option and they aren't extending him. They likely added void year(s) which will hit the cap next year if he's not resigned. The door's not closed to Savage coming back, but he's not a great fit in Barry's scheme and hasn't really improved since Years 1 & 2. He'll get first crack at starting as a safety simple because they don't have anyone better.

This is Green Bay getting creative to cook their cap even more. I don't know if they end up with any additional room this year, though. Seems like it's a way to keep JLove around without the 5th year option and all that guaranteed money. They'll need a QB in 2024 so it makes some sense.

True, but they coulda just cut him if they thought he was total crap. They didn't, so they don't.

True, but they coulda just cut him if they thought he was total crap. They didn't, so they don't.
    Fifth year options for first round picks are fully guaranteed.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Field Yates
    @FieldYates

Signing bonus: $8,788,765
    2023 base salary: $1.01M (down from $2,298,665)
    2023 escalators: Up to $9M (which would be added to his 2024 base salary)

2024 salary: $5.5M (fully guaranteed)
    2024 workout bonus: $500K
    Love gets $14.3m upfront + $1M for his 2023 salary. If things go well, he can make close to $25m over the 2 years--which is up from the $22.5m he would have made without the extension.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Love gets $14.3m upfront + $1M for his 2023 salary. If things go well, he can make close to $25m over the 2 years--which is up from the $22.5m he would have made without the extension.
    Yeah. It’s not a bad deal. Gives him a chance to prove himself and the Packers a chance to get out if he stinks it up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Yeah. It’s not a bad deal. Gives him a chance to prove himself and the Packers a chance to get out if he stinks it up.

It's honestly a brilliant deal by Gute and makes sense for the Love Machine as well
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    It's honestly a brilliant deal by Gute and makes sense for the Love Machine as well
    I saw a list of the first-rounders from Love’s draft year, telling which players had or hadn’t had their fifth-year options picked up. Surprising number of guys did not have them picked up, especially at the end of the first round (though of course Ayiuk and Jefferson did). It really was not a great first-round pool of talent. Puts the Love pick into perspective.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

As I said, it's the middle ground between not picking up the 5th year option - which is about the same thing as cutting him in degree of interest - and signing him to a big long term contract - which would be the ultimate confidence. If he is great or at least good, it will cost the Packers more when the time comes for a long term contract, but as was said, if he stinks it up, they're not commiting as much. I would agree, the deal makes sense.

Packer fans don’t come together on much, but this pick gets near unanimous approval. The biggest gripe is that the Packers clearly aren’t confident enough in Love to sign him to a long term deal and Love isn’t confident enough in himself to decline this deal and get a bigger one sooner.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Packer fans don’t come together on much, but this pick gets near unanimous approval. The biggest gripe is that the Packers clearly aren’t confident enough in Love to sign him to a long term deal and Love isn’t confident enough in himself to decline this deal and get a bigger one sooner.
    That isn't necessarily true.

Why would you sign Love to a long term deal at this point? There is no need to. He is under contract for 2023 and 2024 seasons.

We didn't sign ARod to a long term deal once we shipped BF off. The Packers waited until the end of October 2008 to give ARod his extension and new contract.

And the line about Love not having enough confidence is crap. Love just got an 11% raise over the two years and if he plays well hits the Jackpot!

If Love tells the Packers to shove the contract, the Packers would have exercised the 5th year option. If Love had a breakout year and still plays hardball; all the Packers would have to do is tag him and they have him for 2025 also.

The Packers control Love for the next 3 years no matter how he plays.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

The deal is a fabulous move for the Packers, giving them far more control over Love in upcoming years. For that, Love gets extra cash now up front and the opportunity to earn a big time deal in the near future if he plays well.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    The deal is a fabulous move for the Packers, giving them far more control over Love in upcoming years. For that, Love gets extra cash now up front and the opportunity to earn a big time deal in the near future if he plays well.
    I am SO SICK of all this drama around Jordan Love. Trade him now!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

By extending Jordan now, it splits the cap hit to some this year and some the next. Jordan gets his dinner a little early, and the Packers don't have to put all $22M on the 2024 cap. I guess that's "kicking the can back to us."

I don't think there's a tremendous amount of savings if we had to cut Jordan (we'd have the signing bonus accelerate to this year if he craps the bed), but it's some money he wouldn't get, which is a little bit of motivation. And if we had to cut him, we'd be paying someone else to start, so that's a pretty high bar to want to get rid of him. If we got rid of him this year, we'd have 3 starting QBs on our cap expense.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

It sounds like they're not giving up on Savage - planning on a bigger role for him next year. As for Love, obviously they aren't gonna just let go of him. It sounds, though, like they aren't confident enough to lock him up beyond next season and the season after. If he doesn't show enough, he'll be gone after that, but if he does come through, he'll probably be damn expensive to keep after that. I suppose, this way is the middle ground.

For those who don't believe the cap can be handled, that's what this is - the Savage thing and the Love thing. It actually woulda been cheaper cap-wise to long term Love now, but then they'd be commited long term.
    Tex, we have reached the point where we are operating within the current cap. All the "moves" they make now are to pay for dead money from the "moves" they made last few years. And that will continue until they stop making moves.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.