Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Jordan Love Bandwagon Thread:

Perfect picture to explain the low carry and subsequent wind up RG.
    60% of the time it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
    Perfect picture to explain the low carry and subsequent wind up RG.
    The picture is a bit deceiving as they are in different parts of the throwing motion. But, yes Rodgers has a more compact throwing motion, but he also has 15+ years of NFL coaching that has changed his throwing motion.

I recall McCarthy talking about Rodgers throwing motion after he was drafted and how they worked on him lowering his arm so that it is a more natural motion.

It will be interesting to watch how Love's throwing motion changes over his career.

Favre had a bigger loop than Love does. Probably double or worse. Rodgers had that high carriage coming out and it trained him to shorten his throwing motion. I wonder if college players being taught that would make them better NFL players in the end because it trains a short throwing motion.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Favre had a bigger loop than Love does. Probably double or worse. Rodgers had that high carriage coming out and it trained him to shorten his throwing motion. I wonder if college players being taught that would make them better NFL players in the end because it trains a short throwing motion.
    I disagree. Favre didn’t have a looping throwing motion. And Favre had a quick release.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I disagree. Favre didn’t have a looping throwing motion. And Favre had a quick release.
    https://youtu.be/WTrFebYfVMY

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I went and watched some highlights and Favre usually did that low loop when he was trying to throw it hard. But he definitely has a loop on a percentage of his throws. That’s unquestionable.

Murphy said he’s not sure if you can win with a star QB at a full market contract. He said Brady was always below full market and Mahommes won on his rookie deal.

We’ve all talked about this. When 20% of your cap is eaten up by one player it’s hard to win championships because it’s hard to field a team around that guy.

Blog Entries
    Murphy said he’s not sure if you can win with a star QB at a full market contract. He said Brady was always below full market and Mahommes won on his rookie deal.

We’ve all talked about this. When 20% of your cap is eaten up by one player it’s hard to win championships because it’s hard to field a team around that guy.

This is why you draft a QB ready to play form the get go and not a developmental QB 3 years too early. If you buy into this theory, you need much of the first contract to get one.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

But drafting the pro-ready player can end up getting you stuck with Derek Carr or Andy Dalton, who never develop into elite players and then limit their teams in other ways. There's no perfect recipe. You just make the best decisions you can in each case while keeping one eye on a loose game plan for the roster at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    This is why you draft a QB ready to play form the get go and not a developmental QB 3 years too early. If you buy into this theory, you need much of the first contract to get one.
    And if you only draft a QB if he's ready to play, then you would never draft a guy like Rodgers.

And if you're drafting a pro-ready QB, you're probably a horrible team drafting in the top 5.

Murphy can eat shit and die. Rodgers is damn close right now to full market value and the Packers are a loaded team. Some whine about cap problems next season, etc., but it is damn near a lock that the increase in the cap along with a few contract modifications will easily cure that.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    And if you only draft a QB if he's ready to play, then you would never draft a guy like Rodgers.

Don't think anybody embraced this concept 15 years ago. Cap was different as were the times

Patrick Mahommes
    Russell Wilson

Two modern day examples
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    And if you're drafting a pro-ready QB, you're probably a horrible team drafting in the top 5.
    Mahommes and Wilson would be modern day examples.

Not sure how Fields will turn out but they traded up to get him and were not a terrible team

Mahomes did end up starting in his rookie season, but only one game.

Russell Wilson in the third round was more luck than anything else when he turned out to be "NFL-ready". Ditto that to some extent with Mahomes, who of course, was drafted after a couple other seemingly more polished QBs. The best example of all, though, was overlooked: Ol' Jerry Jones picking up Dak Prescott in the 4th after a lot of people expected him to use a first round pick on a QB.

Call it drafting skill or good or bad luck in each of these cases as well as in the many busts, it is far from an exact science to snag a successful pro QB based on what he did in college.

Bottom line, it was monumentally STUPID to move up in the first round to draft Love - for reasons way beyond the most obvious one, still having the GOAT who will still be good for many more years.

I don't know about that tex. Time will tell. In order for the Packers to get a similar quality QB in this years' draft, they'd have had to move up all the way to 11 to draft Fields. Who knows when a QB of Love's caliber will be available in '22 or '23. It kind of makes me doubt your ability to evaluate players or the NFL landscape at all, honestly, when you call drafting Love stupid...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I don't know about that tex. Time will tell. In order for the Packers to get a similar quality QB in this years' draft, they'd have had to move up all the way to 11 to draft Fields. Who knows when a QB of Love's caliber will be available in '22 or '23. It kind of makes me doubt your ability to evaluate players or the NFL landscape at all, honestly, when you call drafting Love stupid...

Are you saying Love will be better than Mac Jones ?

Why are you consdidering Love equal to Fields as a prospect ?

Blog Entries

I'd add this; there are tons of people/announcers/former GM's.....who have questioned the timing and what we gave up to draft Jordan Love. They are not all stupid

Who says we would even need or want a "similar quality QB in this years' draft"? That's the whole point. Boyle, Benkert, Bortles, or any other grade B QB would be perfectly good enough to hold the Packers proverbial clipboard. 3 or 4 years from now, you start shopping around for 3rd or 4th rounders to see if you can get lucky. And if none of that bunch is good enough when Rodgers finally does retire - ideally 5 years plus from now, then if the rest of the team is still viable, you do like the Rams and get the 2027 or so equivalent of Stafford.

How does Love compare to Fields (who I don't particularly like and who will likely flounder because of the team he is on) or Jones (who I don't know much about but will likely seem better than he is because of the team he is on)? Who knows/who cares? I expect that whatever Love becomes, it will be for some other team.

As for saying it was STUPID to draft Love in the first round much less move up to do so, I say that AGAIN primarily for two reasons: First and foremost, because Rodgers, I firmly believe, even 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or more years from now will still be better - a lot better - than the best we could ever hope Love turns into, and secondly, because you have about as good a chance of grabbing a promising 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounder developing into a Wilson or Prescott level star than you do with a high first round pick who might very well be another Goff or Carr or Trubisky.