Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer vacation

Summer vacation

Taking a weeklong grown-ups only summer vacation this year. We were thinking of possibly taking a cruise as they are cheap that time of year. Has anyone taken any memorable trips that they'd recommend?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Re: Summer vacation

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Taking a weeklong grown-ups only summer vacation this year. We were thinking of possibly taking a cruise as they are cheap that time of year. Has anyone taken any memorable trips that they'd recommend?
    Big Island of Hawai'i--since it's off-season during the summer, it should be pretty reasonable.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    when you go on vaca, what is important to you?

I like all inclusives. when i go on a vaca, i want to be a lazy sob. i don't care about off site excursions. just want to lay on the beach and eat and drink to my hearts content. so the reason i don't like cruises is the fact that you get a bar bill at the end of the trip. verses an all inclusive that drinks and food are included in the purchase price. we (my wife and i) really like the dominican republic, but usually head off to mexico since we can get an early flight and start sipping on a few cold ones by noon. fall is usually the time to get better deals on those vacations, but it is also hurricane season so definatly get travel ins. the other problem with off peak times is that you can usually get a great rate on the resort but pay thru the nose on the flight since they are not chartering flights down.

Senior Rat All-Pro jack's smirking revenge's Avatar
    In a bit of opposition to Iron Mike, I'd say Kauai, Hawaii. Sparsely populated. Beautiful beaches. Every ecosystem on one island (lush and green on one side; dry and somewhat deserted on the other).

tyler
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

"Paradise Lost"-John Milton

Since we've only got 7 days, we didn't want to go any further than Cali. We were considering SanFran and some points north (I was even joking for a while about Albuquerque). If we're cruising, it has to be the shorter Carribean ones. We don't want to get too far out or we'd go someplace like St. Kitts or Nevis. we took just a little trip last year to the tip of Virginia and did some shopping, hiking, family tree climbing, and general poking around and had a pretty good time doing that. I was thinking of maybe poking around in NC as well. I just wish the Alaskan cruises weren't so expensive.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Couple of suggestions, you can't beat Vancouver/Victoria Island that time of the year. Beautiful, culture, shopping, outdoor activities..they have it all. Opposite side of the country, Montreal and Quebec City are awesome. You get the french feel w/o the long plane ride and the ridiculous cost of europe during season. Of course, both of these would depend upon the exchange rate.

A personal fav is Cabo. The level of service you get in Mexico is unparalled.

WISCONSIN DELLS.

.::.

Check out the Caravan tour in Costa Rica.
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    Couple of suggestions, you can't beat Vancouver/Victoria Island that time of the year. Beautiful, culture, shopping, outdoor activities..they have it all. Opposite side of the country, Montreal and Quebec City are awesome. You get the french feel w/o the long plane ride and the ridiculous cost of europe during season. Of course, both of these would depend upon the exchange rate.

I was in Cabo in January. Great place for a vacation. Stayed at the Riu Palace (all inclusive, and that includes the beer in the fridge and the 4 bottles of booze mounted on the wall).
    "What's one more torpedo in a sinking ship?"
    Lynn Dickey, 1984

"Never apologize, mister. It's a sign of weakness."
    John Wayne, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"

Quote Originally Posted by K-town
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns

I was in Cabo in January. Great place for a vacation. Stayed at the Riu Palace (all inclusive, and that includes the beer in the fridge and the 4 bottles of booze mounted on the wall).
    Cabo is definitely a great vacation spot. I never even made it down to the downtown (Cabo Wabo, etc.). Most around the One and Only Palmilla.

Bono was staying there. Met him. Fairly nice guy.

I love the scenery in British Columbia. Spectacular. Not all that interested in visiting Montreal. I'm with Whiskey. I like the All-Inclusive. One of the best vacations of my life was an All-Inclusive in Negril.

IMO, it depends on where you're going for all-inclusive or not. In the Bahamas, we did an all-inclusive as there wasn't as many resorts, restaurants, etc to go to, so staying more at the hotel was the way to go. But when we were in Cancun, we didn't go that route as we wanted to get out and try different places and be at the hotel the whole time. Therefore the cost wasn't justifiable.

It's a nice option to have though.

That's funny, we did the exact opposite. We did the regular hotel in the Bahamas and the all-inclusive in Mex. Riv. That and a rental car worked out really well.

Other than seeing the Atlantis, I wasn't too impressed with the Bahamas. But then again, i was only in Nassau, didn't see the other islands.

It actually seemed like I was in Florida and since i grew up in FL, going there isn't really what i consider a vacation

That's funny because when we got off the plane and left the airport, the first thing I thought was, 'feels just like Florida.'

We weren't in Nassau, we were at Our Lucaya Freeport which is a very nice joint, though not all-inclusive. It might be now, though. They've changed management.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GBMichele
    Other than seeing the Atlantis, I

well maybe you went to jamacia or s. america to see ATLANTIS. must have been on some good shit. to see that place!!!

or maybe you ment to type atlantiC

just being the forum smart ass

Senior Rat Veteran billy_oliver880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FavreChild
    WISCONSIN DELLS.
    Eww....The Dells. I work there all summer. If you do go to the Dells make sure to do an Upper Dells Tour on the Dells Boat tours. You will not be disappointed.

Senior Rat All-Pro jack's smirking revenge's Avatar
    Wow. So, Atlantis has been discovered? I thought it was still missing. That's jetted to the top of my "must see" list. Is it in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle?

tyler
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

"Paradise Lost"-John Milton

Whiskey, put down the remote for the TV.... get out and see the world, there is more to life than football and NASCAR ya redneck...lol.

www.atlantis.com

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    I love the scenery in British Columbia. Spectacular. Not all that interested in visiting Montreal. I'm with Whiskey. I like the All-Inclusive. One of the best vacations of my life was an All-Inclusive in Negril.
    It really all depends on the area, imho. Since food and drink is important to me, some inclusives food is very average. I don't want to stuff myself with sh*t to feel I got my money's worth. I'm much more about quality than quantity. So, if the food and drink are good and the local places suck, then by all means go inclusive. But, for me, half the fun is finding interesting places to eat/drink, meet different people, explore, etc. Even if exploring is just hitting another resort.

Montreal is a great city, with great food/drink, culture, music, etc. Not the same as a "lay on the beach, parasail vacation." Ideally you would hit it for Montreal Jazz festival or something like that.