Thread: 2022 Second Round Pick, #34, Christian Watson Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm with RG on this one. He's not Evans, who is both physical and fast, and he's not Moss or Tyreek either.
    He's built like Moss and fast like Moss, but he doesn't have the games of Moss, Evans or Hill.

They can spread the ball around, yes yes fine. I don't think Doubs is more than a WR3, Wicks is a WR2 at best unless he develops into Davante 2.0, and Reed is a slot guy... so he's not a WR1 either -- he'll be off the field in 12 personnel and Doubs/Watson will get the snaps.
    It becomes a situation where you don't have a top wideout. Maybe they can get away with that... but the fact is Gute spent 2 R2 picks to draft him so you'd hope he could develop into a WR1.

I have doubts he'll get there. To be clear, I don't think he was a bad pick or that he's a poor player. I think he won't reach his full potential... few players do.

Right now Watson is closer to Torrey Smith or MVS than a top 10 WR. Comparing him to something like Mike Evans (who was a 1000yd receiver as a rookie, and has been every year since) is crazy.
    The development curve for him is bigger coming from NDSU, he didn't have contested catch opportunities there, he didn't have to run much of a route tree. He's lean muscle-- he's almost like a track athlete. He still has to learn how to build up his body and take care of it as a pro player. He might figure all that out and be a great receiver, but probability is against it. He might be 'good' and I guess it's a question of whether that's enough given what they gave up to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I'm with RG on this one. He's not Evans, who is both physical and fast, and he's not Moss or Tyreek either.
    He's built like Moss and fast like Moss, but he doesn't have the games of Moss, Evans or Hill.

They can spread the ball around, yes yes fine. I don't think Doubs is more than a WR3, Wicks is a WR2 at best unless he develops into Davante 2.0, and Reed is a slot guy... so he's not a WR1 either -- he'll be off the field in 12 personnel and Doubs/Watson will get the snaps.
    It becomes a situation where you don't have a top wideout. Maybe they can get away with that... but the fact is Gute spent 2 R2 picks to draft him so you'd hope he could develop into a WR1.

I have doubts he'll get there. To be clear, I don't think he was a bad pick or that he's a poor player. I think he won't reach his full potential... few players do.

Right now Watson is closer to Torrey Smith or MVS than a top 10 WR. Comparing him to something like Mike Evans (who was a 1000yd receiver as a rookie, and has been every year since) is crazy.
    The development curve for him is bigger coming from NDSU, he didn't have contested catch opportunities there, he didn't have to run much of a route tree. He's lean muscle-- he's almost like a track athlete. He still has to learn how to build up his body and take care of it as a pro player. He might figure all that out and be a great receiver, but probability is against it. He might be 'good' and I guess it's a question of whether that's enough given what they gave up to get him.
    Is anyone ever as good as the player comp when they are still young?? We are comping games and play style, not results. If so, any comp ever for a rookie would be silly.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.