Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Second Round Pick, #34, Christian Watson Discussion Thread

Didn't we have a whole thread about that stupid concussion shit? I don't mind going over it all again hahahaha. It's the same kind of dumbassery that is prevalent in a lot of other venues that are unmentionable here. For the money those guys are paid, they ought to be exposed to risks. For every Jim McMahon or Lyle Alzado - both of which likely were what they were from drugs more than head shots, there are probably a hundred Aikmans or Steve Youngs or Favres who survived a bunch of concussions and came out just fine.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

"who survived a bunch of concussions and came out just fine."

LOL.

As I said, Aikman, Steve Young, Favre, and others too numerous to mention? Who didn't - that was not tainted by drug use, PEDs, etc.? Very damn few if any.

I literally always answer questions. How about you do the same. You might even be able to dig up one or two weird exceptions.

Favre, who was never smart, can barely string together a coherent sentence.

The last time I heard Steve Young on the radio he, very obviously, has suffered cognitive decline.

But you're just a walking, talking Confirmation Bias; you see and hear only what you want to and are impervious to facts, reason and understanding. Any of your epically wrong posts on what happens on the football field are proof positive of this.

hahahahaha Favre seems pretty normal. I saw Young on pregame shows, etc. years after he retired, and he seemed fine. You might be right about more recently, but given your perspective on things, I tend to doubt it. And I guess you're punting on answering about anybody else or very many others. Wise thing to do when you're wrong.

Edit: when I Googled Steve Young, the first thing that showed up was that he had some sort of mental disorder since childhood. The second thing that showed up was that he was coherent enough to intelligently discuss both that and the concussion thing from playing. He apparently still is an active NFL analyst.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 12-01-2022 at 11:56 AM.

I don't have a problem with them taking Watson out, he just came back from a concussion. You become more susceptible to them, the more you get (and more recent/frequent they are). I'd rather they sit him for a game to protect his future career.

Football is a brutal meatgrinder sport. While some players can recover just fine, there are plenty of others who haven't, and I don't just mean Dave Duerson, Junior Seau and Mike Webster. Aikman and Young retired because of the concussions they suffered -- they didn't want their heads to be full of scrambled eggs. Emmitt Smith can barely talk. Sam Shields wishes he never played football. It's actually a longer list than you might think.

I've known plenty of non-pro athletes who have gotten concussions, and there is no way any of them would be allowed by their doctors to go back and play contact sports with a week's recovery. Some of them had long lasting effects from them. It's no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    And I guess you're punting on answering about anybody else or very many others. Wise thing to do when you're wrong.
    I'm not punting, I'm just not wasting more time than I already have on an internet argument with a willfully ignorant fuckwit who ignores evidence, facts, reason and science.

And again, you would be the SME on being wrong.

Pardon the interruption but...

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    "who survived a bunch of concussions and came out just fine."

LOL.
    Seau, Jovan Belcher, Aaron Hernandez…

There are sooo many it’s hard to even recall without help from internet searches. Blaming drugs for cte… *♂️

Offensive Rookie of the Month - nice.
    Watson is one of the bright spots as we watch the season slide away. I'd actually love to see them play all 3 rookie WRs together to see what they have.
    Watson/Doubs could be foundational players on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Offensive Rookie of the Month - nice.
    Watson is one of the bright spots as we watch the season slide away. I'd actually love to see them play all 3 rookie WRs together to see what they have.
    Watson/Doubs could be foundational players on offense.
    We are going to get a glimpse of the future yet. Love with the rookie WRs. Our OL is young and talented. Bak probably is entering his final 3 years of being effective, but then again, OL tend to last longer so maybe its more like 5. The rest are all looking at a decade together. If Watson is anywhere near legit as he seems and Doubs improves even a little we have our 1/2 for a decade. We could really use a marquee TE. Still kind of wish we had traded for Hockenson and fucked the Vikes, but hopefully there are other opportunities.

On D, I still think the pieces are there, but even if we keep Smith and Amos, they are nearing decline age. Savage fucking blows, so the future at S is dark. Sadly, despite all the draft capital and money, our D (which I liked coming into this year) has some real questions going forward, and not just the DC.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    Seau, Jovan Belcher, Aaron Hernandez…

There are sooo many it’s hard to even recall without help from internet searches. Blaming drugs for cte… ������*♂️
    Seau maybe - a rare exception. Hernandez was probably just a lifelong thug. Belcher I haven't even heard of.

Blaming drugs? That would be Jim McMahon and Lyle Alzado, PEDs for the latter.

Back to the positive side hahahaha, Yes to a glimpse of the future with the rookie WRs. I remain convinced, though, that future is with Rodgers at QB. We may see some of Love this season if/when we get eliminated mathematically, but I'm thinking all that does is enhance his trade value or maybe give him a shot in the more distant future with the Packers - if he actually performs as good as he did last week.

Watson is the real deal - as I have always said. Hopefully Doubs and maybe Toure too.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    We are going to get a glimpse of the future yet. Love with the rookie WRs. Our OL is young and talented. Bak probably is entering his final 3 years of being effective, but then again, OL tend to last longer so maybe its more like 5. The rest are all looking at a decade together. If Watson is anywhere near legit as he seems and Doubs improves even a little we have our 1/2 for a decade. We could really use a marquee TE. Still kind of wish we had traded for Hockenson and fucked the Vikes, but hopefully there are other opportunities.

On D, I still think the pieces are there, but even if we keep Smith and Amos, they are nearing decline age. Savage fucking blows, so the future at S is dark. Sadly, despite all the draft capital and money, our D (which I liked coming into this year) has some real questions going forward, and not just the DC.
    Tom Silverstein reported that they did look into Hockenson but decided against it, likely because of injury concerns. Agree he would have been a nice addition if he could stay healthy. Maybe the DET turf monster was killing him.

Amos has not looked very good this year, and the fact that they put void years vs. extending him is telling. I think they will be rebooting at safety. It sucks they used the 5th year option on Savage -- he looks bad and will cost $8-9M guaranteed against the cap -- money I'd rather see them use to keep Aaron Jones or extend Jenkins.

It's possible the team has completely tuned out Barry, or that Savage is making "business decisions". I don't know. A change at DC is needed and might help revitalize a defense that has talent. I'm not optimistic anymore though -- they've cycled thru a number of DCs and they still can't get off the field on 3rd down, or out of the 20's in DVOA.

Watson and Doubs are bright spots -- I think the 2022 draft is looking promising if they can get players healthy. Watson, Doubs, Tom, Enagbare and Toure all look like decent picks. Walker and Wyatt are maybes (not holding out much hope they will be better than league average, but you never know). They need another good class to elevate them. Good players on cheap contracts is how you win.
    (I think they'll need to draft another WR and a TE. Sammy Watkins and Tyler Davis can go.)

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Seau maybe - a rare exception. Hernandez was probably just a lifelong thug. Belcher I haven't even heard of.

Blaming drugs? That would be Jim McMahon and Lyle Alzado, PEDs for the latter.
    Lyle Alzado got cancer. HgH and/or steroids are not really linked to cancer. HgH does cause it to spread more rapidly if it goes undiagnosed however. That lie has been told by the media to discourage use of steroids forever. Abuse of roids is bad, but modest use actually improves health profiles....especially if it inspires one to have a healthier diet so as to maximize their physique.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Watson clocked at 21.72mph, tying the fastest speed by a WR this season (Desean Jackson.)
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Watson clocked at 21.72mph, tying the fastest speed by a WR this season (Desean Jackson.)
    on that end around where it looked like he was running in slow mo?

just insane

He flies!

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

As great as Watson has been, there is room for improvement. He needs to go after contested catches a little better. He got pretty much mugged with no PI calls especially early in the game. Ideally he can fight off that sort of thing better. I think over time, he will be a great possession receiver too mainly because they have to play off of him a lot.

Players have hurt themselves with that weird flying tumbling celebration. He needs to rein that in a little bit - act like he's been there before, like eight times in four games now hahahaha.

It is really weird watching Watson because he doesn't really look that fast. To me, it's kind of weird because he is obviously extremely fast but he doesn't look the part like Randy Moss did for example. I think few would argue that Randy doesn't look like he's moving substantially faster even though he's maybe a tick or two faster at the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTnVAARhTA