Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Second Round Pick, #34, Christian Watson Discussion Thread

We lost a pick moving up 19 spots.
    “ "Green Bay opened the day with two second round selections – the No. 53 and No. 59 picks. The Packers traded both to the Minnesota Vikings for the right to take Watson at No. 34.

No wonder the Vikings took the trade. If Watson doesn’t pan out, Gute is gonna look like a dope.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    You gonna be paying out for a Watson jersey for your daughter?
    No doubt about that one. She said if Watson got drafted by the Packers, he would be her favorite player. But not if he went elsewhere. She'd still like him, but Aaron Jones or Jaire would still be her favorite.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    “ "Green Bay opened the day with two second round selections – the No. 53 and No. 59 picks. The Packers traded both to the Minnesota Vikings for the right to take Watson at No. 34.

No wonder the Vikings took the trade. If Watson doesn’t pan out, Gute is gonna look like a dope.
    I'd like to think Gute will look like a genius. Hopefully, he turns into a game wrecker like a Tyreek Hill.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Gute seemed pretty happy about this one in his press conference.

Highest wonderlic

Pete Thamel
    @PeteThamel

Christian Watson was 5-9, 155 pounds when he played for Robert Weiner as a junior at Tampa Plant. He was the No. 536 player *in the state of Florida.* Credit NSDU for the eval and Watson for the commitment to development. Also had the highest WR Wonderlic.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Poor man’s Miles Austin who couldn’t even make the Wisconsin-Stevens Point 103 men roster. And don’t even bother to get me startled with Watson’s dysfunctional hybridization, Tex.

Shoulda gone with Ty Thornton and his glorious 4.28 40.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    And the difference in talent between the NDSU QB and Rodgers will make this kids head explode. This has the potential to be a hell of a pick and continue GB's second round WR streak.
    I hope the future is as optimistic as you see it. But there
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

And the difference in talent between the NDSU QB and Rodgers will make this kids head explode. This has the potential to be a hell of a pick and continue GB's second round WR streak.
    I hope the future is as optimistic as you see it. But there’s also a material difference in talent between hip-hop NFL corners and, for the lack of better words, the pale-skinned corners Watson annihilated in D3.

I notice that Hoody Genius traded up for Ty Thornton. Dude’s gonna be a thorn to cover. 4.28 40!

Revision: Ty Thornton is a poor man’s Randy Moss.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Highest wonderlic
    Yeah. When you listen to him, he's clearly a bright kid.

I'm not worried about this kid at lesast being a very solid starter, possibly star.

GB prides itself on its drafting of number one receivers. They haven't missed on a round one or two in a very long time.

He will be able to contribute right away on special teams, sweeps, and screens. He seems very determined, hard working, and is also smart. A good kid too: He checks every box as a "Packer" receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post

I don't think so. The Packers moved all-in on a championship chase over the next 2-3 years. Having an extra pick is meaningless if we don't have capable WRs. They flew off the board the last 2 days. Waiting wasn't an option. Even if the kid doesn't pan out, it wasn't a mistake by Gute to go after him. It was a major need for the team, and it would've been risky to stay in the latter part of the 2nd and wait.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I don't think so. The Packers moved all-in on a championship chase over the next 2-3 years. Having an extra pick is meaningless if we don't have capable WRs. They flew off the board the last 2 days. Waiting wasn't an option. Even if the kid doesn't pan out, it wasn't a mistake by Gute to go after him. It was a major need for the team, and it would've been risky to stay in the latter part of the 2nd and wait.
    WHat I mean:

They should have gone Wyatt, then Watkins. It's clear this draft was ALL IN now. Not sure I llke it.

Just an idle thought:

In 2009 a lot of people initially thought Packers overpaid to move up and draft Clay Matthews. I felt they did it because if they didn't the Patriots would take Matthews for themselves.

Same thing here. Packers paid a lot to move up. Maybe in part they did it because if not Vikings might take Watson and they'd be trying to cover Watson and Justin Jefferson for the next 8-10 years.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

He was voted best receiver by the DBs at the Senior Bowl: could not be covered and got open. He still seems to fight the ball at times, but has adequate hands.

He has the shiftiness of a sub 6.0' receiver.

He tracks the ball well (unlike MVS), and can blow the top off.

Dedicated, smart, "Packer" type receiver. My top pick for LaFleur's system. (Again, I'm very concerned that Burks won't get open in the NFL like K'Neal Harry. Watson will get open.)

He can contribute right away: blocking, screens, sweeps, deep balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaire View Post
    He was voted best receiver by the DBs at the Senior Bowl: could not be covered and got open. He still seems to fight the ball at times, but has adequate hands.

Dedicated, smart, "Packer" type receiver. My top pick for LaFleur's system. (Again, I'm very concerned that Burks won't get open in the NFL like K'Neal Harry. Watson will get open.)

Given the RAS scores of Walker, Wyatt and Watson, I wonder if Packers even had a 1st round grade on Burks.

I also wonder if Packers would have taken Watson at 28 if Wyatt had not been available.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I think Chris Simms is the best draft analyst. He misses occasionally -- who doesn't? But given Watson's high character, I don't see the downside. Simms had Watson as his number two receiver. Packers take developmental receivers, not finished products (so too with most high picks). It also reminds me that one of the coaches is his division said that Watson was the best receiver in the FCS since Randy Moss.

I am very happy with this pick and the Wyatt pick.

https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/...R8rBdruCUAyAwA

Quote Originally Posted by Jaire View Post

If the Sr bowl dbs think he was the best that says something. Metal sharpens metal and if he challenges them he must be at least decent. No he will.habe stokes pushing him on speed and jaire for technique. I think we got a good wr here. Hate giving up the 2 2nds but really could not wait based on who was gone already. I thought someone would get him in 1st actually.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    If the Sr bowl dbs think he was the best that says something. Metal sharpens metal and if he challenges them he must be at least decent. No he will.habe stokes pushing him on speed and jaire for technique. I think we got a good wr here. Hate giving up the 2 2nds but really could not wait based on who was gone already. I thought someone would get him in 1st actually.
    Maybe proof read your posts before you post. “Sr bowl DBs think he was the best that says something.”

If you’re a Sr Bowl DB, there has got to be something wrong with you. I mean, you don’t see Sauce and Stingray playing in Sr bowls, do you? Nope. The best corners enter the draft prior to their senior year of eligibility.

A bunch of JAG DBs saying Watson is the best they’ve ever covered ain’t saying much, hombre. I mean, I once shut down Darren Charles. Charles ain’t in any shape, form, matter or antimatter the best WR ever conceived in cold, dark and dull Wisconsin. That honor belongs to Bill Schroeder.