Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Second Round Pick, #34, Christian Watson Discussion Thread

A pass catcher whos not good at catching passes. Dysfunction.

Are you talking about Watson or Doubs?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Are you talking about Watson or Doubs?
    Watson. I could care less about some late round flyer. Using two premium picks on a pass catcher whos not good at catching passes doesnt make a lick of sense.

I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Watson. I could care less about some late round flyer. Using two premium picks on a pass catcher whos not good at catching passes doesnt make a lick of sense.
    He had 2 drops with lance as his QB. Drops can often be a guy trying to do too much with limited chances. His hands look good on tape.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I watched the video, and I saw no indication he can't catch - a lot of imperfect passes from I think two different QBs, and he snagged them. As for the two premium picks, in hindsight, I wish they had taken him and Wyatt in the first and passed on Walker - keeping both second rounders. But if the choice is paying that price or not getting him, I'm damn glad they paid the price.

My first thought about Doubs is I think I'd rather have Malik Taylor. I'm willing to give him a chance to prove otherwise though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post

I can't tell if you are being serious; you are always kinda a GUTE homer. Do you really not like Watson ? I think he has the chance to be a stud.

Now, honestly, I would have definitely not traded 2 second round draft picks for him. I'd have employed HW's strategy of waiting til there were 2 WR's I really liked and traded up then. AND if Alex Pierce is one of the guys you wanted, and Tolbert, both were there at 53 so we could have kept out picks.

Since Gute overpaid to move up, we have to assume he loved Watson and really considered him a class above the guys like Sky Moore, Pierce, Tolbert, and Pickens

I'm going to wait and see if it works
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

RG doesn
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I'm ok with the pick, but the process was a little meh. Giving up BOTH R2's to Minny felt like a lot, and I'm hearing people say they effectively lost the equivalent of a late R3 on the trade value charts.
    So... that part hurts.
    Also, Watson is a project, which means he has upside but also that he has a long way to go. That's fine and all, and maybe you put him in the MVS role and let him be your KR and gunner for good measure. He'll have to play ST since Cobb and Watkins likely won't, and you need big fast guys there. So he can contribute in some ways right away, but it's a pretty big investment for a WR4 and KR. Of course, next year he might come back into the 2023 training camp and be an absolute monster, which is not nothing. If he becomes GB's version of DK, this looks pretty good.

As for his hands, I don't think they're bad but I do think they need work. Almost every WR that comes into pros does; pro QBs throw with such velocity it's incredible. He supposedly works at the Juggs machine daily and he'll want to continue that. I hope Cobb takes him and Amari under his wing and makes them do the crazy Juggs drills Jordy and others used to do.... he'll be ok. MVS's hands weren't great but they improved, and Davante worked on his hands a lot.

I think he's more flexible and has a bigger frame than MVS. His speed translates to the field, and word is he's a hard worker and good kid, so he's a good addition. He'll block and do the things they ask him to do, and honestly you could argue that Drake London isn't that much better than this kid.

I'll be rooting big time for him, and he has a lot of upside. I just think they paid a lot to get him and worry the Packers coaches might fail to develop his potential.

Well see. Im going to root for both him and Walker. Its just two major projects with huge question marks in some of the most important areas.

I feel about this pick and the Walker pick about how Fritz felt about Gary three years ago.

Hopefully Im wrong. If Gute hits a couple home runs it will shut me up for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I'm ok with the pick, but the process was a little meh. Giving up BOTH R2's to Minny felt like a lot, and I'm hearing people say they effectively lost the equivalent of a late R3 on the trade value charts.
    So... that part hurts.
    Also, Watson is a project, which means he has upside but also that he has a long way to go. That's fine and all, and maybe you put him in the MVS role and let him be your KR and gunner for good measure. He'll have to play ST since Cobb and Watkins likely won't, and you need big fast guys there. So he can contribute in some ways right away, but it's a pretty big investment for a WR4 and KR. Of course, next year he might come back into the 2023 training camp and be an absolute monster, which is not nothing. If he becomes GB's version of DK, this looks pretty good.

As for his hands, I don't think they're bad but I do think they need work. Almost every WR that comes into pros does; pro QBs throw with such velocity it's incredible. He supposedly works at the Juggs machine daily and he'll want to continue that. I hope Cobb takes him and Amari under his wing and makes them do the crazy Juggs drills Jordy and others used to do.... he'll be ok. MVS's hands weren't great but they improved, and Davante worked on his hands a lot.

I think he's more flexible and has a bigger frame than MVS. His speed translates to the field, and word is he's a hard worker and good kid, so he's a good addition. He'll block and do the things they ask him to do, and honestly you could argue that Drake London isn't that much better than this kid.

I'll be rooting big time for him, and he has a lot of upside. I just think they paid a lot to get him and worry the Packers coaches might fail to develop his potential.
    What's ironic is that it's been reported that the Packers started trying to trade up for him at pick #30, so they obviously really liked him. They offered the same compensation to the teams above the Vikings (including the Vikings at pick #32). The offers were rejected. If the offer had been accepted, the Packers would look good on the trade value chart. In the end it didn't matter because they got the same player for the same price.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    So... that part hurts.

Well on paper the Vikings didn
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Well on paper the Vikings didn
    Quite typing apostrophes. I'm so tired of this happening to me.

Blog Entries
    What the heck . Ok I will try this again

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Quite typing apostrophes. I'm so tired of this happening to me.
    I did a long reply from cell and there was no apostrohes

Blog Entries
    To runpnc. On paper the vikes didn’t get fair value in trading down with Detroit so they were looking for somebody to overpay to get value back. I have much higher expectations for Watson year one then you do . I think we can see 800 yards and 60 to 70 receptions if Green Bay doesn’t add a veteran wr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    What's ironic is that it's been reported that the Packers started trying to trade up for him at pick #30, so they obviously really liked him. They offered the same compensation to the teams above the Vikings (including the Vikings at pick #32). The offers were rejected. If the offer had been accepted, the Packers would look good on the trade value chart. In the end it didn't matter because they got the same player for the same price.
    I really wish they would have slipped into round one so we get that fifth year option

Blog Entries
    Rg you need to get out of the old fritz Rashan Gary zone. I was there with fritz. I am supposed to be the questioner of gutebag and you function as his attorney

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Rg you need to get out of the old fritz Rashan Gary zone. I was there with fritz. I am supposed to be the questioner of gutebag and you function as his attorney
    I cant this year. You turned on the Gary tape and you saw knock back on ever snap, violent hands, a really good one arm stab to create an edge.

You turn on Watson and you see a clumsy pass catcher.

You turn on Walker and you see hesitation and false steps.

Its not the same this year. This year theyve been emboldened by the Gary pick and think they can draft bad ball players because theyre athletes. But the thing theyre missing is thats not what happened with Gary.