Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Second Round Pick, #34, Christian Watson Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    In three years, we'll see if Watson turns out to be worth the price - if he's that much better than Metchie, Pickens, and especially Pierce, who was taken at #53 I think.

One way to frame it is would you rather have Watson, or Pierce and another player who was available at #59 and would have been of interest to the Pack. We will know in three years.
    My hunch is that he will look the best of that lot, but because he has an elite QB. I think if we had taken Pickens or Pierce I would say the same about them.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    My hunch is that he will look the best of that lot, but because he has an elite QB. I think if we had taken Pickens or Pierce I would say the same about them.
    Obviously I agree with that completely, but with Watson, it will just be by a wider margin because he will be a better player than either of those others or any other WR drafted this year.

RG, you might be right that Moore is good, but having those big yardage seasons is a product of how much a team emphasizes the pass game as well as what other receivers they have, and I don't think Carolina had many other good ones.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I hope that's not me you're talking about. I don't remember any such bet.

As for this thing about Watson, I'd bet a lot that he is an NFL star sooner rather than later. Jameson Williams will not amount to much even after he recovers. Watson - assuming he avoids major injury and plays anything like projected, will be extremely better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I hope that's not me you're talking about. I don't remember any such bet.

As for this thing about Watson, I'd bet a lot that he is an NFL star sooner rather than later. Jameson Williams will not amount to much even after he recovers. Watson - assuming he avoids major injury and plays anything like projected, will be extremely better.

Nope, the bet was not with you

I hate seeing Jamison Williams in our division

I like Watson Tex, but I'm not crowing him to be remotely comparable to a border HOF talent til I see him play for a while
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, Greg Jennings

I trust this organization to get a 2nd round WR right. Just like I trust them to get a 4th round OL right and all 3rd round picks wrong, so my ranking Zach Tom ahead of Sean Rhyan may be right in the end.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Harv what is your general view of the draft? It sounds like it was well done to me.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Harv what is your general view of the draft? It sounds like it was well done to me.
    I like it. There were things I would have done differently, but a lot of holes were filled. I'd like a slot CB and safeties, but otherwise it's hard to say this team has a lot of holes. Some say TE, but if Tonyan can get back after a stint on the PUP, I think Tonyan, Marcedes, Deguara, Dafney/Davis (who I think could surprise), will be alright. We'll see. I'm excited about this class.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

ESPN

Pre-Draft Analysis
    Watson is a big target with outstanding speed, longer arms and big hands. He's a threat to take the top off the coverage and is an instinctive open-field runner with good contact balance. Watson is a hands catcher with good body control and a wide catch radius. He's a smooth mover for his size and flashed as a route runner the week of the Senior Bowl. -- Steve Muench

Post-Draft Analysis
    The Packers desperately needed a big-bodied receiver, and they get one in Watson. He has the physical traits to become a great receiver, but is raw coming out of the run-heavy offense. While his potential is impressive, the early production might be less than fans would like. -- Matt Miller

Im warming up to the Watson pick. Elite talent. Itll be interesting to see if they can get him up to speed and if he works on his craft diligently. Hes got a shot.

Chris Simms and this dude know.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Chris Simms and this dude know.

Im so torn on this guy. His speed isnt even his #1 trait when i watch him, its his movement skills at that size. Its ridiculous. He has the ability to be elite getting off the line with his explosiveness and length. He has the ability to be an elite route runner with his suddenness and agility. He has the ability to be elite after the catch with his movement and size. AND hes fast as lightning.

HOWEVER!!!!!

Hes also got suspect ball skills. Thats such a big part of receiver. I dont know if you can coach that out of him.

You are just going to have to live with the drops. Its like MVS, hell go for 65 yards and a tud on a perfect deep ball and then hell drop one put right in his hands. Youre going to have that with Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    You are just going to have to live with the drops. Its like MVS, hell go for 65 yards and a tud on a perfect deep ball and then hell drop one put right in his hands. Youre going to have that with Watson.
    Who cared about drops? Lots of good receivers have drops, because they're the ones getting open. MVS failed to become elite because he seldom caught contested balls. That's different than drops.

The receivers in the NFL with the most drops in 2021:

J. Chase
    D. Samuel
    D. Moore
    T. Kelce
    D. Mooney
    C. Kupp
    K. Allen
    C. Lamb
    J. Waddle
    J. Jefferson
    T. Hill
    M. Williams
    M. Pittman
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I could see Watson having a similar rookie year to MVS (580 yards)

We should be able to line him up like MVS and run deep while Watkins and Lazard work underneath.

It will be interesting to see if he can round out his game and have some other go-to routes, or if hell round into a complete player.

His hands are better than MVS. His ball tracking and route running are miles ahead of MVS.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    His hands are better than MVS. His ball tracking and route running are miles ahead of MVS.
    You beat me to saying that, Harvey. Also, MVS undoubtedly had less targets, catches, and yards as a rookie than Watson should get for the obvious reason: we had Davante.

Some of you seem to forget how bad 'Tae was when he was younger. Only bad part of this is we didn't have overlap with 17 but we have Lazard and now Watkins plus maybe Cooper will step up as well. That along with a potentially kick ass (finally) defense will make all this chatter moot. You want a guy that is still growing and this kid seems to be. Like someone said he has a high ceiling.

Watson (#1) and Doubs (#7) at Senior Bowl practice. It's cool that those two were teammates down there. Plus, Khalil Shakur and Bo Melton. If you go to youtube, you can click the links below to just see the 1 on 1s for each individual player.

Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 05-02-2022 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    DJ Moore is having 1,200 yard seasons with Cam, Kyle Allen, Bridgewater and Darnold.

DJ Moore is the most underrated WR in the game and balls out no matter who the QB is.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    DJ Moore is having 1,200 yard seasons with Cam, Kyle Allen, Bridgewater and Darnold.

DJ Moore is the most underrated WR in the game and balls out no matter who the QB is.
    Yes, but that has nothing to do with my point. My point is that all these receivers are similar and the likely best outcome will be from the one with the best QB.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.