Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Second Round Pick, #34, Christian Watson Discussion Thread

What was MVS's Wonderlic? I think I read Watson was 38 which should help a lot in digesting LaFleur's fairly complex system. Just looking at the videos, Watson seemed to run good routes and make tough catches - which MVS was spotty at best on.

I thoroughly expect Watson to be an absolute star with the Packers, sooner rather than later, probably even his first year. All of that is barring injury, of course.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pri...er-cooper-kupp

Shows how ras scores correlate to success.
    The RAS scores are not correct on that site. They have Jordy at 5.1, but he scored higher than 7.2. Cobbs score is off also.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    DJ Moore is having 1,200 yard seasons with Cam, Kyle Allen, Bridgewater and Darnold.

DJ Moore is the most underrated WR in the game and balls out no matter who the QB is.
    Yes, but that has nothing to do with my point. My point is that all these receivers are similar and the likely best outcome will be from the one with the best QB.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Well, you'd think so, but for rookies, maybe not. Amon Ra St.Brown had a spectacular rookie year with Jared Goff. Aaron Rodgers is tough on rookies, so it might take to year two or three to see how Watson shakes out.

I still think it's going to be interesting to see how Watson shakes out compared to the guys drafted behind him - I think six were drafted after Watson in the second round. The Packers must've liked him way, way better than Pickens and Pierce and Skyy Moore, since they could've gotten any of those much cheaper than what they paid for Watson.

We'll see in a few years.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

This will be a perfect storm for Watson - the team's top receiver, actually top two from last year gone, the GOAT QB throwing to him, and a generally pass first team in a generally pass first league.

Yeah, Aaron Rodgers is tough on rookies - or to be more precise, he's tough on people making dumb mistakes. Watson had a 38 Wonderlic score and (supposedly) good football IQ. That should carry weight in a positive way with Rodgers, but even if it doesn't, Rodgers won't have many other better possible places to throw. Watson should end up with at least as good a year as Adams had last year and much better than Adams will have this year with the Raiders. I expect him to not only have a lot better season than the WRs drafted after him as well as a better season than the WRs drafted before him.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Well, you'd think so, but for rookies, maybe not. Amon Ra St.Brown had a spectacular rookie year with Jared Goff. Aaron Rodgers is tough on rookies, so it might take to year two or three to see how Watson shakes out.

I still think it's going to be interesting to see how Watson shakes out compared to the guys drafted behind him - I think six were drafted after Watson in the second round. The Packers must've liked him way, way better than Pickens and Pierce and Skyy Moore, since they could've gotten any of those much cheaper than what they paid for Watson.

I think the idea that Arod won't throw to rookies is a bit overblown. In 2018 MVS had almost 600 yards receiving and EQ had over 300 despite missing 4 games with injuries. He didn't throw as much to Adams as a rookie, but that team had Jordy and Cobb in their prime. Those 2 guys combined for 2800 receiving yards.

I think Watson will have the most receiving yards by a packer rookie since Sterling Sharpe. https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/mos...-rookie-season
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

I can’t wait to see how he does compared to the guys drafted in front of him.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Just had Watsons position coach on 107.5 the fan in Green Bay.

He glowed about Watson. Said his drops happened when he was trying to turn it up and make a big play. Said he got better and better as he understood the game more and focused on catching the ball first. Said Watson has good hands.

Said hes a dedicated blocker and good at it.

Said he was always the most athletic player on the field but also worked hard on his releases, his his route running and his overall game.

Said hes one of the smartest players hes coached.

Said he would take hard coaching well and if Rodgers is demanding, hell take it in stride and get better. Likes to be coached hard.

A glowing endorsement of Watson the person and the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think the idea that Arod won't throw to rookies is a bit overblown. In 2018 MVS had almost 600 yards receiving and EQ had over 300 despite missing 4 games with injuries. He didn't throw as much to Adams as a rookie, but that team had Jordy and Cobb in their prime. Those 2 guys combined for 2800 receiving yards.

I think Watson will have the most receiving yards by a packer rookie since Sterling Sharpe. https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/mos...-rookie-season
    I'm not saying he won't throw to them at all. He's just really hard on them, and he will ignore them for stretches if they screw up. He's not like Favre, who'd go right back to a guy who screwed up, help him get his confidence back.

Like Harv, I can't wait to see how this kid stacks up in a few years against the ones drafted behind him. I hope, of course, that he's great.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I'm just waiting...expecting... on the first or second set of downs whenst in the first game Arod times up and connects with the kid up the seam in a full gallop....

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    I'm just waiting...expecting... on the first or second set of downs whenst in the first game Arod times up and connects with the kid up the seam in a full gallop....
    Or it's third down, and the kid cuts left, Rodgers throws right. Wait a beat, camera close up, Rodgers rolls eyes.

Ah, hell. It's too soon for that kind of cynicism.

Touchdown, Rodgers to Watson!

KYPack

I get a kick out of the scoring reports. He’s raw. Not really. His Dad was an NFL player and coach. Has anybody looked at him running routes vs the likes of Tolbert and Doubs at the Senior Bowl.

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...nt-be-as-rocky

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I get a kick out of the scoring reports. He’s raw. Not really. His Dad was an NFL player and coach. Has anybody looked at him running routes vs the likes of Tolbert and Doubs at the Senior Bowl.

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...nt-be-as-rocky
    Yeah, it doesnt make sense that he would be raw. I hope he comes in right away and puts up 600+ as a rookie. That would be a good sign. And in doing it, I hope he shows some promise in short, intermediate and longer routes.

One of McGinns scouts said he was linear and had build up speed. I dont know if he ever watched him because Watson looks explosive and has instant speed. His 10 yard split was ridiculous. This scout just assumed that he was tall so had that long speed. He was just talking out of his ass.

The fastest 10 yard splits recorded at the combine ever were Chris Johnson and Henry Ruggs at 1.43. Christian Watson had a 1.45. And you see it on tape. He turns it up instantly. Thats what makes him look so freakishly athletic on tape. For his height, hes as sudden as youll ever see.

He turns it up after catching those come back routes and erases angles instantly.

Tyquan Thornton had a 1.41 10 yard split this year, just unbelievably fast.
    Prospects are getting much better coaching/training at the 40. Used to be unusual to have a 10yd split under 1.5. It's still pretty darn good to have a split that fast, or for your flying 20 to be under 1.9.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/03/31/n...e-wr-prospect/

Interesting read:

"The 2022 NFL draft is flush with quality wide receiver prospects of all varieties.

There are route artists like the Ohio State duo of Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson, jump-ball monsters like Drake London and George Pickens, electric open-space threats like Treylon Burks and Jameson Williams, and everything in-between.

However, no single player possesses as many traits on the receiver prospect checklist as North Dakota State's Christian Watson..."

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Tyquan Thornton had a 1.41 10 yard split this year, just unbelievably fast.
    Prospects are getting much better coaching/training at the 40. Used to be unusual to have a 10yd split under 1.5. It's still pretty darn good to have a split that fast, or for your flying 20 to be under 1.9.
    I believe thats the record. Ruggs and Chris Johnson previously shared it at 1.43 I believe

Jordy Nelson ran a 4.51 40 yard dash.
    From 20 yards to 40 he clocked 1.87 seconds

MVS ran a 4.37 40 yard dash
    From 20-40 he clocked 1.79 seconds

Christian Watson ran a 4.36
    From 20-40 he clocked 1.91 seconds

Christian Watson has ridiculous burst out of the gate but his long speed isnt what you think. Jordy actually tested out better long speed despite running the 40 significantly slower.

Eric stokes ran that last 20 yards in 1.75. No one is gonna run by him.