Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Most of us knew that, but it still doesn't clear up the point one poster made about WHICH edge they are referencing. The 2 are not often interchangeable. Gary could probably play either one, but its unlikely Micah parsons could.
    Does he line up in a 5 technique? a 9 technique with a TE? if he does he is an EDGE. Don't care if his hand is in the ground or he is in a two point stance. The Packers would use Parsons and Watt the same exact way. Show me film of TJ Watt consistently dropping into coverage? Pass Rushers = EDGE, Droppers = OLBs. LOS player = Edge, Off Ball = OLB

Nflmockdraftdatabase has Michael Mayer as the favorite for the Packers pick. https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com...ock-draft-2023
    Last edited by Joemailman; 01-19-2023 at 09:15 PM.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Does he line up in a 5 technique? a 9 technique with a TE? if he does he is an EDGE. Don't care if his hand is in the ground or he is in a two point stance. The Packers would use Parsons and Watt the same exact way. Show me film of TJ Watt consistently dropping into coverage? Pass Rushers = EDGE, Droppers = OLBs. LOS player = Edge, Off Ball = OLB
    I understand, but the packers won't use a small edge. Not in a base anyway. If a team tried to line up Micah at edge on first down consistently a smart coach would run him over. Of course after watching the NFL for 4 decades I'm becoming more and more of the opinion that smart coach is an oxymoron.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Any thoughts on Elijah Higgins as a Lazard replacement?
    Barring becoming a combine darling, probably could be had late Day 3 or UDFA. Big dude, decent athlete.

Do we think they move from using a big WR to a TE instead for big-slot receiver who sometimes blocks? I would think there are plenty of 6-4+ TE's who are better receivers than blockers that could at least approximate what Lazard does as a WR.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Barring becoming a combine darling, probably could be had late Day 3 or UDFA. Big dude, decent athlete.

Do we think they move from using a big WR to a TE instead for big-slot receiver who sometimes blocks? I would think there are plenty of 6-4+ TE's who are better receivers than blockers that could at least approximate what Lazard does as a WR.
    He definitely fits the bill. If he runs like Lazard did at the Combine, he'll probably go undrafted. If he runs well though, there will be quite a bit of interest in him on draft day 3.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com...elijah-higgins
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    15: R1 P15 EDGE Myles Murphy - Clemson
    46: R2 P15 S Brian Branch - Alabama
    78: R3 P15 TE Dalton Kincaid - Utah
    117: R4 P15 LB Nick Herbig - Wisconsin
    150: R5 P15 CB Tyrique Stevenson - Miami
    169: R5 P34 WR Malik Knowles - Kansas State
    230: R7 P15 C Ricky Stromberg - Arkansas
    233: R7 P18 OT Mike Edwards - Campbell
    240: R7 P25 QB Stetson Bennett IV - Georgia
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    15: R1 P15 EDGE Myles Murphy - Clemson
    46: R2 P15 S Brian Branch - Alabama
    78: R3 P15 TE Dalton Kincaid - Utah
    117: R4 P15 LB Nick Herbig - Wisconsin
    150: R5 P15 CB Tyrique Stevenson - Miami
    169: R5 P34 WR Malik Knowles - Kansas State
    230: R7 P15 C Ricky Stromberg - Arkansas
    233: R7 P18 OT Mike Edwards - Campbell
    240: R7 P25 QB Stetson Bennett IV - Georgia
    Really early to mess with any of the mock simulators, based on having done so myself. A lot of early boards have Branch gone around P15 in R1, likewise with Kincaid gone by P15 in R2. From what little I've seen of Murphy, he looks like a stud...like him better than Breese.

Not sure about the rest of your draft but if they got Murphy, Branch and Kincaid the draftniks are going to love that draft.

I think the boards will start to look more similar after the combine. Right now the player rankings are all over the place. I've seen Lukas Van Ness go from a R3 guy to a top 20 guy for example.

Is Jaxon Smith-Njigba Great Jennings?

Looks silky smooth.

https://twitter.com/TheOGfantasy/sta...91098608771073

I like him.
    He had a remarkable season the previous year, although a chunk of it was underneath stuff and he had Wilson and Olave on the team. It's worth noting he outproduced both of them.
    Seems like he's good at most things but not great at any one thing. His size isn't prohibitively small either at about 6-0 195. There are a lot smaller receivers in this draft class. I can understand the Greg Jennings comps.

I've seen him mocked to MIN a lot, and GB once or twice. Could be a very good slot receiver. Easily a top 50 pick, a likely R1 pick.

I don't think this WR class is as good as the last few have been. TE class is looking very good though.

My 1st way way to early Mock draft

15 - Brian Branch S | Alabama
    Branch is a versatile defensive back prospect who has the ability to make plus-level plays at every alignment. But teams who draft him are also getting a player who plays with intensity and a passion for the game that can help him become an influential team leader.
    Top Reasons to Buy In:
    * Versatile defender
    * High-level run defender
    * High football IQ

45 - Dalton Kincaid TE | Utah
    Kincaid is as an in-line blocker but he lacks mass and functional strength, which makes him inconsistent in college and likely ineffective in the NFL. Opponents have no issues powering and playing through him. Ideally, Kincaid would be another inch taller with a touch more mass and a tick more explosive but it’s hardly limiting to what he does best and that is being a factor in the passing game.
    Kincaid has the makeup of a quality No. 2 tight end early in his career with the upside to develop into a quality starter by year two or three.
    Top Reasons to Buy In:
    * Outstanding ball skills and hands
    * Body control and competitive toughness
    * How he was used in college and translatability to the NFL

78 - Adetomiwa Adebawore EDGE | Northwestern
    Adebawore is likely at his best as an interior pass-rusher, where his aggressiveness and quickness can pair with his condensed frame to offer a small strike zone and low leverage against interior, heavy-footed blockers. What he does on early downs will vary from team to team and is likely to be the ultimate variable in how highly he is drafted. Teams unafraid of condensing their edge players inside on obvious passing situations will be most drawn to Adebawore, as that opens him up to playing a higher percentage of snaps and living up to a more lofty valuation and investment.
    Top Reasons to Buy In:
    * Versatility to align in a slew of positions on the front
    * Interior penetration quickness is a winning passing-down trait
    * High-motor player with tireless pursuit skills
    * Natural leverage at the point of attack with his condensed frame

115 - Wanya Morris OT | Oklahoma
    Morris needs to find consistency with his performance. He is a streaky player that has too many lapses in technique that stem from a lack of patience. Those moments lead to folding at the waist in pass protection with too much lunging. As a run blocker, he can be too reliant on momentum and not use the ground for leverage, which takes away from his ability to sustain blocks for long enough. There’s no questioning the tools that Morris offers, he just needs consistency in deploying them and executing with more consistent technique and control.
    Morris has room to develop and maximize his skill set with the makeup of an NFL starter that potentially has appeal at four positions. The biggest question is if he can find consistency to maximize his potential.
    Top Reasons to Buy In:
    * Physical upside
    * Versatility
    * Functional strength

149 - Dontay Demus Jr. WR | Maryland
    Dontay Demus is a big-bodied receiver that has the frame to fit the traditional X receiver role. In press coverage, Demus has good strength to power through press and immediately get into his route. In off coverage, Demus has the speed to condense a defender’s cushion quickly and can force them to bail out or he can run right past them. With the ball in the air, Demus does a good job attacking the ball at its highest point and securing the pass. Demus can be utilized as a true red-zone target on back-pylon fade routes or jump balls because he can win 50/50 balls consistently.

170 - Dylan Horton DL | TCU
    As a pass rusher, Horton appears to have all of the physical tools necessary to be productive at the next level. Horton has a quick first step, which he uses to quickly gain leverage on offensive linemen when he wants to win with a speed rush around the edge to get to the quarterback. Horton also shows that he can use some development in his pass-rush repertoire. There were multiple instances where Hortons initial move didn’t work and he didn’t appear to have a counter move to continue his rush for the duration of the play.
    TCU underwent a defensive scheme change from the 2021 to the 2022 season, which forced Horton to move into the inside shade of the tackle which at times eliminated his ability to use his speed to win as a pass rusher. Projecting Horton to the next level, I believe that his athleticism and frame would be best utilized as an outside edge rusher where he can incorporate his natural athleticism on the edges to become a more productive pass-rusher.
    Top Reasons to Buy In:
    * High athletic upside
    * Motor
    * Physical temperament

233 - Kaevon Merriweather S | Iowa
    I think that Merriweather is a solid Big Ten safety overall, and has the athleticism, physicality, and body control to play on Sundays. He has shown a lot of promise in his consistency as a run defender. He’s a competitor and wins, but I’m not sure if he dominates enough to be an everyday starter in the league. I use the word solid so much when watching his tape because he’s good at most things and great and some others. However, I do not see enough of the “WOW” factor production from him to believe he is a day-one guy. I can see him being taken on day three in the fourth round with a ceiling of late third round. With his play style, he can be an effective special teamer in the league and a reserve safety to provide depth. I do believe that he can play safety at the next level, but preferably in a heavy zone scheme defense. He is best when he can sit back in a half-field Cover 2 or middle-of-the-field Cover 3.
    Top Reasons to Buy In:
    * Solid body control and physicality
    * Good athlete with speed
    * Sufficient downhill tackler

236 - Keytaon Thompson WR | Virginia
    For quarterback turned tight end, turned wide receiver, turned Swiss army knife Keytaon Thompson
    , his path has become an annual constant for playmakers across the football landscape. A former standout signal-caller that once called the pocket home, his evolution into one of the country’s premier pass-catching options has introduced a unique prospect to become familiar with as we approach the 2022 college football campaign.

243 - Chris Murray IOL | Oklahoma
    Chris Murray is an experienced blocker that is entering his fourth season as a Power 5 college starter. While most of that time has come at right guard, Murray has logged nearly 200 snaps at center, which suggests he can offer some positional flexibility on the interior. Murray is a tenacious blocker that has an aggressive mindset in how he operates. He is a good athlete that has the movement skills needed to work laterally, slide his feet, and get into space with longer pulls and climbs to the second level.

255 - Joseph Ngata WR | Clemson
    The ball skills are an area that, when blended with Joseph Ngata’s length and size, offer some high-level receptions in tight coverage. I have a great appreciation for how Ngata plucks the football effortlessly away from his frame and he is typically unbothered by contact at the catch point. His production is more in the way of chunk plays versus high volume to this point, but his 19.0 yards per reception in 2021 is a testament to his ability to win down the field—which he does on back-shoulder throws, targets above the rim, and in contested opportunities. Clemson wasn’t persistently targeting throws to the deeper portions of the field, but his ability to win here is an element that is a plus and he should find more targets in this area in 2022. The physicality of his play is an obvious hallmark feature and it shows up after the catch, at the catch point, and even in the run game, where Ngata is effective in pressing hard off the line of scrimmage and latching onto secondary players. His contributions do also include a year of work in the return game—he averaged 23.4 yards per return as a freshman in 2019.

258 - Jarrick Bernard-Converse CB | LSU
    * Can get up under a receiver’s chin and has the speed to flip his hips and run downfield. Bernard-Converse has the quick and surprisingly powerful hands to jostle receivers early. But he’s at his best peeking into the backfield.
    * He tracks the ball well and does a nice job of getting his head around in plenty of time to avoid flags.
    * Has good awareness and quick feet. Fluid backpedal, aggressive attacking the receiver from the snap, and flashes spectacular ball skills.
    * Tracks and plays the ball well, and has decent hands for the interception. Provides very tight man coverage with playmaking ability in zone.
    * His ball skills are very good. Bernard-Converse tracks the ball well downfield and has the hands and coordination to come away with interceptions even when Bernard-Converse isn’t targeted often.
    * He’ll line up in press at times, where he has a quick and powerful punch. His ball skills are good, and he plays with an extremely confident and competitive demeanor.
    * Extremely aggressive to come up and put his body in traffic to make tackles.
    Last edited by jklowan; 01-27-2023 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post

You might get Mike Gesicki on a prove it deal. He is a really good "big slot". Not much of a blocker for a TE though. Miami misused him brutally this season so its possible he could be had for $5 million or so.

If a te can’t block, he’s useless.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Not sure any tight end is a good blocker in year 1, it is an upside pick and a very early mock

True. I like Kincaid as a receiving TE -- good hands, routes, and speed, so you can run him down the seam and he's got a little bit of toughness to break tackles. Tonyan never breaks a tackle, is 29 and doesn't really have any more upside.
    You'll almost never find a rookie TE who is a good blocker, you do need them to be willing blockers at least.

I'd also be reluctant to ask TE's to sustain 1-1 blocks against a DE or stud OLB -- that's probably a losing proposition most of the time (e.g., we'd expect Rashan Gary to beat a TEs blocks at least 2/3 of the time) unless you're doing a quick (i.e., sub 2 seconds) pass play. They have to be competent enough to execute chip, double-team, and crack/stalk blocks for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    If a te can’t block, he’s useless.
    I would say he isn't a real TE, not that he is useless. Gisecki can block about like Lazard. You can't expect him to open holes in the run game, but line him up in the slot and utilize his actual skill set. But I agree, I prefer all my players to be useful in all situations, or else you are telegraphing your intent to the defense. That's a job for fat mike.

I'm pretty sure my super sleeper at S is going to be Jason Taylor of Oklahoma State. I saw him mentioned in practice reports as a standout during NFLPA Collegiate Bowl week--which primarily mentioned his tackling ability. Then, I watched him in the game. He really stood out. The tackling showed, it looked like his speed was solid, and he made a couple of big plays. I read more about him. He seems like a good kid, and he had a great season with 99 tackles and 6 interceptions. He had like 3 game clinching turnover plays this season. I was surprised when I didn't see him listed as draft worthy by any of the big boards I trust.

I noticed he was just invited to the scouting combine though. He's one that I'm interested in seeing how he tests. He looks draftable to me.

"There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I'll throw this bone to the shitheads and Rodgers haters: If he's gonna get traded after June 1, as so many of ya'all think, I tip off of that would be the Packers drafting a QB fairly early. Whatever they think of Love, they would need a back up, and they probably would want to hedge their bets and get him some competition. Of course, I suppose a 3rd-5th round pick could indicate a trade of Love too.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I'm pretty sure my super sleeper at S is going to be Jason Taylor of Oklahoma State.
    Keep them coming Harvey, they were admittedly his highlights but they showed good instincts and tackling ability, things Savage lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'll throw this bone to the shitheads and Rodgers haters: If he's gonna get traded after June 1, as so many of ya'all think, I tip off of that would be the Packers drafting a QB fairly early. Whatever they think of Love, they would need a back up, and they probably would want to hedge their bets and get him some competition. Of course, I suppose a 3rd-5th round pick could indicate a trade of Love too.
    We'll know what's happening well before June 1st IMO. Any trade would be done before the draft, even if not officially completed until after the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    We'll know what's happening well before June 1st IMO. Any trade would be done before the draft, even if not officially completed until after the deadline.
    W/ the cap hit - I bet they agree in concept but execute after the draft and w/ 2024-2025 picks