Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Keep them coming Harvey, they were admittedly his highlights but they showed good instincts and tackling ability, things Savage lacks.
    Savages highlights were awesome. Jumping coverages, cutting down runners. Highlights aren't game film.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Who has a better situation, the Packers or Bears??
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Who has a better situation, the Packers or Bears??
    Based on what criteria?

The Bears are in a much better position to acquire new players. They have a major talent deficiency, but with good drafting and FA signings could put a roster trending in the right direction together.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Based on what criteria?

The Bears are in a much better position to acquire new players. They have a major talent deficiency, but with good drafting and FA signings could put a roster trending in the right direction together.
    All criteria. Would you rather have Fields, endless cash to spend and the #1 pick or would you rather have our roster and cap situation?

Bears will have the opportunity to make a lot of player acquisitions but there's no guarantee they'll get it right. Plenty of bad teams have been in a similar situation and blew it. In 2018 they could have drafted Mahomes but instead traded up and took Trubisky. It's a different GM now, but he's totally unproven. Time will tell.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Interesting question.
    Yeah, if you flipflopped their rosters I think Gute and MLF could turn it around with Fields and all that cap space, but I'd still expect it to be a losing season, and at times ugly. Probably would take two years. The Bears have another year of building before they can be considered a WC threat IMO. Their talent/depth was that bad this year -- remember all the people they claimed at cutdowns? Asking rookies to make major impacts is like hoping your lottery ticket hits big...might happen but almost certainly won't.

Bears are bereft of talent in many places and they will have to get both FA and drafting right. No guarantee there. They'll be overpaying in FA as well, and the WR FA market is not a great one. I'd expect them to trade out of the #1 pick for more picks to build the roster... but if Fields doesn't improve this might be his last year in CHI.

My gut tells me they follow what PHI and DET have done by building their OL and DLs. Fields has a tendency to hold the ball and go Big Throw Hunting and he needs a good line for that.

FWIW I'm not convinced GB will be in their shoes in a few years, they actually have some talent on their roster on both sides of the ball...so you could theoretically renovate with guys like Watson, Jaire, etc. vs. completely rebuild.

So do the Packers follow that blue print and draft heavily with their first few picks on offensive and defensive linemen?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Keep them coming Harvey, they were admittedly his highlights but they showed good instincts and tackling ability, things Savage lacks.
    I looked back at my notes from last year to see if doing well in the Shrine practices actually matters. I think around 33% of the Shrine participants get drafted. (I think the Senior Bowl is over 90%.) Of the players that got a good or great grade in practices last year, 59% were drafted. So, it does matter a bit. Interestingly, the percentage would have been 70% without off ball LBs and safeties. It could have just been a bad year for off ball LBs and safeties at the Shrine Bowl last year though. Only 4 of the 16 off ball LBs and safeties were drafted. I find this stuff interesting.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

The Senior Bowl players' hotel is across the street from my office. Anyone worth a little light stalking this week?
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Maybe some of their girlfriends, if you're a young guy.

Or their moms, if you're my age.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Maybe some of their girlfriends, if you're a young guy.

Or their moms, if you're my age.
    Christian Watsons mom is pretty hot. But she’s into black guys

All criteria. Would you rather have Fields, endless cash to spend and the #1 pick or would you rather have our roster and cap situation?
    I'd rather be the Bears, but I would fire the head coach and bring in a QB whisperer to teach Fields how to play the position. Running for 100 yards doesn't make a winning QB.

That said, I think the packers will continue to be better because we played it right with Love, have a lot of young talent and will be fine as soon as we clear up the cap situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    So do the Packers follow that blue print and draft heavily with their first few picks on offensive and defensive linemen?
    My guess is that if Bresee is there they take him. If Branch is there they take him. If both are gone they take an edge. So yes, I think they draft a big defensive player since I think Branch will be gone when we pick.

Christian Watsons mom is pretty hot. But she’s into black guys
    I tan really well.....

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    have a lot of young talent and will be fine as soon as we clear up the cap situation.
    Who is this young talent? If they had the young talent, they wouldn't be in the situation they're in. They don't really have any great 3rd or 4th year players. If they did have two great young players, they'd be a Super Bowl contending team and wouldn't have the cap situation they're in IMO.

Fritz, I personally would like to see them draft some big uglies. Big ugly in R1, R2, skill positions after that.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Who is this young talent? If they had the young talent, they wouldn't be in the situation they're in. They don't really have any great 3rd or 4th year players. If they did have two great young players, they'd be a Super Bowl contending team and wouldn't have the cap situation they're in IMO.
    They had an off year after 3 straight 13 win seasons. That doesn't mean they don't have any young talent. They won 1 less game this year than the Eagles won last year. A lot can change in 1 year.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

YOUNG TALENT

GARY
    JAIRE ALexander
    KENNEY CLARK
    AJ DILLION
    RASUL DOUGLAS
    ROMEO DOUBS
    RUDY FORD
    ELGTON JENKINS
    JORDAN LOVE
    JOSH MEYERS
    KEISON NIXON
    JARRAN REED
    SEAN RHYAN
    JON RUNYAN
    CHRISTAIN WATSON
    DEVONTE WYATT
    YOSH NIJMAN
    ROYCE NEWMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    They had an off year after 3 straight 13 win seasons. That doesn't mean they don't have any young talent. They won 1 less game this year than the Eagles won last year. A lot can change in 1 year.
    I'm not saying they can't be successful and turn it around. In fact I think they will in he comes back! But their best players are on their second contracts (or later) already so they're making big bucks. I don't really think the Eagles are a young team either, although I don't know their make-up that well. Their OL *seems* to be old and that is the heart of the team, and their front 7 too.

GARY - Yes and will be paid like it
    JAIRE ALexander - $$$$
    KENNEY CLARK - $$$$
    AJ DILLION - JAG
    RASUL DOUGLAS - JAG
    ROMEO DOUBS - Maybe
    RUDY FORD - JAG
    ELGTON JENKINS - $$$$
    JORDAN LOVE - Maybe
    JOSH MEYERS - Underwhelming for an R2 center for sure
    KEISON NIXON - Jury out
    JARRAN REED - JAG
    SEAN RHYAN - LOL
    JON RUNYAN - Decent player is he a starter on a top notch line? Shoot IDK. Is he anywhere close to TJ Lang or Eric Turner?
    CHRISTAIN WATSON - Hopefully!
    DEVONTE WYATT - Jury out
    YOSH NIJMAN - Not a starter on a good line
    ROYCE NEWMAN - LOL

They do have some young talent on the roster - Gary, the CBs, Kenny Clark, Wyatt, Walker and TJ Slaton on defense. On offense, they have a mostly young OL (Elgton is 27), plus Dillon, Watson, Doubs, possibly Toure/Melton. They aren't totally lacking talent, but they have a few holes, and they underperformed last year. The defense is less than the sum of its parts, and they relied on rookies and RPOs too much on offense.

I can think of a handful of 'good' players for CHI: Darnell Mooney, Jaquan Brisker, Jaylon Johnson, Khalil Herbert, and Justin Fields. They have a few others probably I'm forgetting, but the point is GB has more talent under contract than CHI does. GB has a lot less cap space though, which is one area CHI can make up ground quickly if they use that space smartly.

I also wonder how long Fields going to survive long enough as a running QB. He's already taken a lot of hits and had some minor-ish injuries. I think that will start to add up, and with him still developing behind a suspect OL it's possible that even if he pans out he might be roadkill by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    they had an up and coming young QB, we have a quickly declining old QB. big difference

thats why i said after last season that i would be happier if they moved on from rodgers.

going 8-9 with rodgers is pretty pathetic. if we had gone 8-9 with Love, then maybe we all feel a bit better about the situation and our future

its exciting to watch young guys taking small steps forward, its a gut punch watching old guys falling ass over tits backwards down the stairs