Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Keion, Keion likes his money. He makes a lot, they say. Spends his days counting, in a garage, by the motorway.
    Nice!

Northwestern RB Evan Hull visiting with Packers. Excellent pass receiver. Had a great combine. Harvey has him as a 5th round pick. Some project him later.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Northwestern RB Evan Hull visiting with Packers. Excellent pass receiver. Had a great combine. Harvey has him as a 5th round pick. Some project him later.
    Interesting player. Draft consensus board as of today has him at #225, so he'd be a late Day 3 priority UDFA type. Known as a good pass catcher, caught a lot of throws for NW. Also tested pretty well.
    Between him and Keaton Mitchell (who also visited - I'd envision him in a Tyler Ervin role) it seems they're looking to find some 3rd down backs to push Tyler Goodson.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Lets get Nuts,

1st real mock of the year with lots of trades. I want to accumulate as many top100 picks as possible, in fact I went hard to get as many picks as I could inside the top 75 of this draft.
    First trade, you know who goes can't wait to see Rodgers walk out of Green Bay. Packers get both the 42nd and the 43rd pick in this draft with a conditional 1st round pick in 2024 if the Jets make it to the playoffs in 2023. The Packers give the Jets their 2023 3rd and 4th round picks along with Rodgers.

Packers trade pick 15 to the Giants for their 25th overall, Pick 57, and a 1st in 2024.

Packers trade pick 25 to the Eagles for pick #30, and pick #62

Packers with the 30th selection of the 2023 draft take Georgia TE Darnell Washington.
    Overall size and athleticism is hard to come by even in the NFL. He was never the first option in the passing game at Georgia but he was the 6th lineman on the field. The Packer hold significant value in a run blocking TE that creates difficult matchups in the run and pass game for opposing defenses. He is a more athletic version of Mercedes Lewis.

Packers with the 42nd selection in the 2023 draft from the NYJs take Kansas St. Defensive End Felix Anudike-Uzomah
    Size is prototypical for the Packers for an Edge player. he can operate with his hand in the ground or in a sprinters stance. His Ras score isn't as high as some would like in Green Bay but he has a decent tool box to go with a high motor. He plays the run and pass equally and seems to be assignment sound.

Packers trade the 43rd pick from the Jets and the 149th pick to the Bengals for the 60th and the 92nd picks in this years draft

Packers with the 45th selection in the 2023 draft select Tennessee WR Cedric Tillman
    Overall size and athleticism makes this pick a reasonable one for the Packers that fills a need. Now Tillman I would compare to a Davante Adams, almost more athletic but the jumping and footwork is there. Davante monopolized his raw talent and trained himself into a hall of fame receiver. Tillman would have to do the same. He is a huge target that can get up in the air and win contested catches with strong catch radius. He will be asked to do more in the NFL than he did in college.

Packers with the 57th selection from the Giants in the 2023 draft select Oregon St TE Luke Musgrave
    athletic as a wide receiver and can stretch the middle of the field. Questionable taking two tight end within the first 3 picks but the Packers have a need and are willing to pay the price to give Love the weapons he will need. This is a long term investment for the Packers, as I don't think he will play as many snaps as Washington because he isn't as polished as a top end blocker at the position.

Packers with the 60th selection from the Bengals in the 2023 draft select NDSU OL Cody Mauch
    Spotlighted for being an ugly motherfucker at the Senior Bowl, but yet turning out exceptional one on ones in practice in both the passing and run portion he gain attention as a "small school" breakout. He isn't some burly cement footed blocker as his Ras score of 9.33 makes him elite at 6-5 308 pounds. He could fill a need at guard or tackle.

Packers with the 62nd selection from the Eagles in the 2023 draft select Texas A&M Saf Antonio Johnson
    There is a lot to like on film. He can come down and cover the slot, he is an assertive tackler, and can play the deep middle or 1/2 field. The issue with Johnson is he didn't back up his play with a solid combine. a questionable 40 time and vertical leave scouts wondering if he has the physical attributes to match up in the NFL.

Packers with the 92nd selection from the Bengals in the 2023 draft select Ole Miss WR Johnathan Mingo
    Greek gods from Ole Miss is becoming a thing and Mingo is the next in line. Injuries sort of plagued him at Mississippi but he is an elite receiver of the football with excellent hands and catch radius. His Ras of 9.88 will be like the bat signal for the Packers to draft him.

Packers with the 170th selection of the 2023 draft select Iowa DB Riley Moss
    Elite size and athleticism make this pick for the Packers a no brainer. Moss who played CB at Iowa should have the capabilities to slide over to safety if need be. He will have to demonstrate that some of his INTs were not just luck but because he knows where to be because of being a film rat. He should have excellent ability to break on routes based on his footwork and foot speed.

Packers with the 232nd selection of the 2023 draft select Houston DB Gervarrius Owens
    Pro size, with a Ras of 9.22 that draws the Packers in like a moth to a flame Owens will be brought in to compete for a roster spot if nothing else. He needs to show up on special teams if he intends to make this roster out of the gate. We all hope for a diamond in the rough, but the reality is they need to make a dent on special teams first.

Packers with the 235 selection of the 2023 draft take Wisconsin LB Nick Herbig
    I know what I saw the last three years and his production is not that of a 7th rounder. He hit the 240 pound mark at the combine, but it didn't exactly help his numbers and he came out with an average Ras score of 7.76. Herbig has an excellent motor and his first step is amazing. He was one of the top 5 pass rushers in college. Its not that he can't play like a typical outside linebacker and drop into coverage and cover backs out the backfield, its that he was such a dynamic pass rushers you would have been a fool to not send him.

Packers with the 242nd selection of the 2023 draft take Alabama DL Byron Young
    Can't really go wrong with an Alabama defensive lineman and the Packers need depth along their core. He has some good strength and body awareness and can hold the point of attack pretty darn good. Also, not sure if he is a 7th rounder because defensive linemen still have a premium in the NFL draft

Packers with the 256 selection of the 2023 draft take Marland OL Spencer Anderson
    Don't really know much about him other than he has size and has a Ras score of 9.35 and the Packers can't get enough of high end Ras scores.

Fun stuff Nutz. I played around in the PFF mock simulator and the Consensus draft boards mock simulator. The Consensus one is bonkers - trades all over the place. I did one where I ended up moving around so much I think I ended up with like 13 picks plus another 2 or 3 in 2024. I don't think it's super realistic for a few reasons - i've run it a number of times and players like Levis or Will Anderson fall to 15. I have trouble with that as a most likely scenario.

FWIW, I like Byron Young out of Alabama as a depth DL. He shows up on film and looks like he could give some quality snaps in relief early. I think he's more of a R4-5 guy than R7 though. Won't comment on the other players as sometimes it's who's there.
    Haven't really watched Riley Moss, will have to check him out. I could see them taking a CB and converting them to S, although that implies it would be mid-season before they'd really be ready to play.

I also agree with the idea of getting as many top 100 picks as possible, even if that means trading down with the 15th pick a couple of times. I don't think there's a substantial difference in the talent at 15 vs. 25 in this draft, bouncing twice from 15 to 21 to 28 or so could yield a couple of extra picks inside the top 100 that could get you a decent player.

It's hard to consider Joey Porter in the conversation for CB1 after watching Charlie Jones of Purdue torch him repeatedly. Porter needs to be in the right system for him to be effective. That system is press man--while zone is becoming more and more prevalent in the NFL.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

He really turned things around in the second half though. Night and day--although he wasn't on Jones as much.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

PSU QB Sean Clifford and LSU DT Jaquelin Roy invited to GB as official 30 visits.

Roy had 4th most DT pressures in the SEC. Inconsistent but might be a Day 3 depth piece to push Wyatt. Haven't looked at Clifford or most of the QBs at all.

They're bringing in some interesting players for visits.

If only there were a QB out there named Clifford Sean.

I saw an ACME piece today speculating that it might be an offensive lineman with that first pick.

That wouldn't bother me at all, unless they picked some yahoo they could've gotten in the second round.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

couple of trade downs, nice haul I think.... make it happen Gutes

17 - Lukas Van Ness
    EDGE | Iowa

47 - Luke Musgrave
    TE | Oregon State

78 - Cedric Tillman
    WR | Tennessee

98 - Marvin Mims
    WR | Oklahoma

111 - Ji'Ayir Brown
    S | Penn State

116 - Wanya Morris
    OT | Oklahoma

140 - Colby Wooden
    DL | Auburn

149 - Cory Trice
    CB | Purdue

150 - Josh Whyle
    TE | Cincinnati

170 - Ivan Pace Jr.
    LB | Cincinnati

193 - Jake Moody
    K | Michigan

232 - Nick Saldiveri
    OT | Old Dominion

234 - Jaxson Kirkland
    IOL | Washington

235 - Jay Ward
    S | LSU

241 - Davis Allen
    TE | Clemson

242 - Tre Tucker
    WR | Cincinnati

256 - Robert Beal Jr.
    EDGE | Georgia

I'm on the fence with Cedric Tillman.
    Really wanted to like him and was underwhelmed when I first watched him. Watching him again and... he's not bad. If he has any specific trait that stands out it's his size and that he's not afraid of the physical play -- that should help him as a pro.
    Seems like a 3rd rounder, maybe a James Jones type.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If only there were a QB out there named Clifford Sean.

I saw an ACME piece today speculating that it might be an offensive lineman with that first pick.

That wouldn't bother me at all, unless they picked some yahoo they could've gotten in the second round.
    How about if Clifford the Big Red Dog was an offensive lineman in the draft.

Seriously, I wouldn't be shocked if they took an OT in R1. Big fan of Paris Johnson as a LT and Darnell Wright at RT. Broderick Jones needs a year but could be good as a LT with the way GB coaches players. OT might not be an immediate need but if they can get a guy who'll be a good 10year vet that's a very good pick.

I don't watch these guys so I don't know them like you or Harv, but if this Broderick Jones has that much potential, he could sit a year (unless there are injuries) and learn.

But wait, if they pick a left OT, will Bakhtieri feel slighted and angry and begin to ponder retirement, or ask for a trade?

But yes, OT would be fine. Almost anything would be fine except maybe a safety (because this class seems so poor), a corner (another one? Whuut?), an inside linebacker (you ignore the position for years but now you draft two first-rounders in a row?), running back (poor use of first-round pick) or a center/guard (bad use of draft capital methinks). But defensive line, wide receiver, tight end, OT, EDGE, all good. Hell, I'd even entertain a QB is one that you all were in love with was sitting there at 15. Wouldn't be my favorite thing, but it'd be okay.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I think these are the best uses of R1 picks, in a vacuum:

QB, OT, EDGE, DL, CB
    maybe WR

WRs and especially TEs have a high bust rate. C, G, RB, ILB, S can be found in later rounds too.
    (CBs have high bust rates too, but you always need 3+ good ones: they get hurt often and frequently have short careers. So you have to draft them often and a shutdown CB like Jaire has real value.)

Only exceptions would be if an absolute stud falls to you. Quenton Nelson, Roquan Smith, etc. guys who are once in a decade types at their position.
    There have been studies done that look at All-Pro players by position and where they are drafted. Tom Brady was a unicorn -- you're just not likely to find an All-Pro QB in R6.
    There have also been studies showing which positions have most influence in the outcome of a game.

IMO you don't simply draft for position or positional need, you draft the BPA on your board -- but your board should give slight preference to players at those more premium positions.
    If you have a RB and an EDGE graded equally, you're probably going with the EDGE. It's why Bijan Robinson is likely drafted after Will Anderson or Tyree Wilson.
    Last edited by run pMc; 04-12-2023 at 11:31 AM.

Bahktiari's cap hit is $40M next year, his dead cap is $21M, IIRC. I've heard some opine that it's not worth extending him because they've already kicked so much of his money down that it's going to be ugly either way.
    My guess is that given his cap hit, age, and injuries he's gone after this year. Whether he's cut or traded remains to be seen.

I wouldn't worry about Bahktiari going full Josh Sitton on the team with his contract or if an OT is drafted.
    I do wonder if he gets moved if GB is out of the playoff hunt by the trade deadline. When healthy he's still a very good player, and as Gute likes to remind us: good OT don't grow on trees.

Packers will be hosting a pre-draft visit with TE Dalton Kincaid. Kincaid has received medical clearance for his back injury he suffered last year.

Dr. Robert Watkins recently sent a letter to NFL teams, fully clearing Utah TE and expected first-round pick Dalton Kincaid from the back injury he suffered last season.

“Dalton Kincaid sustained a back injury while playing football on 11/26/2022,” said the email from Dr. Watkins. “Subsequent MRIs have shown appropriating healing and he has been asymptomatic with no pain and no limitation of function for at least 3 months. He is cleared to play football with no restrictions.”
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Mid round QB, Clayton Tune from Houston 6'3" 220

Eyes seem to always be down field, I love his footwork in the pocket. He has a plus arm and his footwork lends itself to accuracy. My opinion against a good pass rushing Tulane team he managed to pocket well evading rushers with his feet and not having to take his vision off his receivers. Sure he was sacked a few times but most of the time it wasn't the first guy free that got him. He has potential to be starter in the NFL

Georgia TE Darnell Washington will go in the first round. I would like to see him bend a little better but his lead blocking, kick out blocks, and even his pass blocking is so damn good you don't even care what you get out of him as a pass catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Mid round QB, Clayton Tune from Houston 6'3" 220

Eyes seem to always be down field, I love his footwork in the pocket. He has a plus arm and his footwork lends itself to accuracy. My opinion against a good pass rushing Tulane team he managed to pocket well evading rushers with his feet and not having to take his vision off his receivers. Sure he was sacked a few times but most of the time it wasn't the first guy free that got him. He has potential to be starter in the NFL
    He's one of my guys.

Not much to add to "my guys" list after watching off ball LBs. I like a guy that is projected to go undrafted, Isaiah Moore. Jeremy Banks had solid tape too, but he has HUGE character concerns. Kyle Soelle is one of the few LBs that are 6'3" 230+ in the draft with a RAS score of 9.25. I'm only adding Moore to the list though.

QB Clayton Tune
    RB Roschon Johnson
    FB/TE/RB Hunter Luepke
    WR Jonathan Mingo
    WR Grant DuBose
    WR Matt Landers
    TE Luke Schoonmaker
    OT/OG Peter Skoronski
    OT Nick Saldiveri
    OT Earl Bostick
    IOL Ricky Stromberg
    IOL Jon Gaines
    IOL Braeden Daniels
    DT Mazi Smith
    DT Keeanu Benton
    LB Jack Campbell
    LB Isaiah Moore
    CB D.J. Turner
    S Jason Taylor