Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Studs and Packers Broncos

Blog Entries

Studs and Packers Broncos

Studs

There was some flickering of light at the end of the tunnel, but the loss still sucked.

Romeo Doubs had the 16 yard TD the gave partial (1/1000th) payback for the old "Fail Mary" deal with the Seahawks. Dude had an assist on Reeds 4th quarter TD by a "clever deflection" play. Keep cranking Romeo, we need all the help we can get.

Big bad Dillion I've been waiting for this guy to pop for years. We got something out of him today
    He did some good rushing the football and catching passes. He was 15 rushes for 61 yards. Caught two passes for 34 yards including a 29 yarder on the Pack's last possession.

Duds

I'm going Global on my dud, but everybody feel free to add their own player, including you, Red

We have been held to a field goal or less in the first half for four straight games. We've scored a total of 6 first half points in the four games. We've been outscored 63-6 in the first half of those ballgames. So the team is the biggest dud in the league in the last 4 first halves.

Anders Carlson. Had been kicking great, but this miss cost us. You gotta hit them 43 yarders Anders. It gets a lot harder kicking when that wind comes off the Bay.

Duds:
    If you watched you know
    Studs:
    Me
    Still gonna wear the colors, watch the games and back the boys.
    Been through the cycles since about’67. Hope I make it one more time.

Duds:

Love - Neither TD pass was a good throw and he made wrong read on INT.

Jenkins - I thought Packers were going to drive down for winning field goal until holding penalty.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

The holding penalty killed them.

Stud

Luke Musgrave. Helmet straight to his head while he was rotating into hit. Did not drop thr ball. I'm guessing he will be a future probowler
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Dud: Announcers who jinxed Carlson by noting he'd been perfect on his kicks so far. That FG would have been the difference.

Pretty much everyone on offense was a dud in this game.

Defensively, they held a bad team to under 20 points, which is something maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Dud: Announcers who jinxed Carlson by noting he'd been perfect on his kicks so far. That FG would have been the difference.

Studs: my non-sports-fan friends visiting from out-of-town with their six-month-old baby; this meant I did not watch the game. Thank god.

Sounds like AJ Dillon tried hard and gave good effort and was reasonable, maybe good. Solid.

If I try to step back from it all, this is the growing pains - they are called "pains" cuz it hurts. They look bad. But we knew this was coming. Is it really worse than we thought it would be?

It SEEMS like it. It does to me. But really, what the hell did I think it would look like? A lot of close games with low scores, most of which they'd lose. Outside of the Lions game, that is more-or-less what we've had.

But the offensive and defensive lines still are not that good. The offensive line has been a disappointment, even with Jenkins back. Is it the playcalling, asking them to do too much? Do they just suck more that we thought? I don't know enough to know. And the defensive line STILL gets pushed around. Still suck. The whole defense still plays soft and can't tackle.

So, it's pretty much what we thought (offense young and dumb; defense soft with an unimaginative and fruitless coordinator), it's just that actually seeing it unfold is painful.

And if Matty Flower doesn't llet Joe Barely go at the end of the season, you should shit can MLF, then.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Dud - Flower for keeping Jones on a pitch count. WTF
    C.H.U.D.

As I predicted at some point having a rookie kicker would cost us a couple games. This is the season to get him right so we can benefit from 58 yard game winners in the future.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Yeah, wasn't it his first missed FG this year? You can't really put too much blame on him. If you're going to go down that road, then you've got a lot of blame to go around. IF Love had blah blah blah, IF the receiver had run the right route, IF blah blah blah.

He's a rookie and so far is having a good year. One missed field goal? That's a better performance than most of the rest of the team at their respective positions.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Studs:
    Dumb luck on the second touchdown.
    Duds:
    Pretty much everyone on the team and the coaching staff.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I'll say this. The left side of the line, including Meyers were a bunch of duds. And I'm starting to agree with Tank calling Clark Cletius.

Blog Entries
    Somehow the word "Duds" didn't come thru in the header for this thread. So, I owe the thread a dud. And I've got one. I'm leaning a little to what Fritz posted about not beating up these fools too much, but I dug up a few facts that have really burned my ass.

Jordan Love - 0 for 3 with a pick on throws over 20 yards. For the season he is 6 for 27 with no TD's and 3 picks on throws of more than 20 yards. That shit is affecting the game plan, Love only attempted on throws of more more than 5 yards ONCE in the first half.

Love you are a dud and you earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Somehow the word "Duds" didn't come thru in the header for this thread. So, I owe the thread a dud. And I've got one. I'm leaning a little to what Fritz posted about not beating up these fools too much, but I dug up a few facts that have really burned my ass.

Jordan Love - 0 for 3 with a pick on throws over 20 yards. For the season he is 6 for 27 with no TD's and 3 picks on throws of more than 20 yards. That shit is affecting the game plan, Love only attempted on throws of more more than 5 yards ONCE in the first half.

What is puzzling/concerning to me is how well the OL blocked in preseason (yeah, it's preseason) and especially how Jordan Love's decision making has gone south. Earlier this year even if his throws were off target or the receiver screwed up/dropped it you could see the decision making process and is was pretty clean. Now it's throwing into double coverage and passing up easy throws to go big game hunting. If he didn't have that tendency in college you'd think he learned it from Rodgers. Either way, Love has regressed since the start of the year and it's a problem.
    The deep shots need to happen, but less often and not into coverage. His accuracy and timing on those throws hasn't been there all year, maybe try it 2-3 times a game instead of 5-6. Also, I don't understand the underthrown deep passes - Watson is an incredibly large fast human, I'd think it would be almost impossible to overthrow him.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Since there ain’t no Banjo thread, Imma post this here. Am I the only hapless cheesehead who gives a fuck about the last play of this game?

The average NFL play lasts something like 4 seconds. It was 4th down with 6 seconds left. The Packers had nothing to lose by dialing up the “Wu-Tang” all-out blitz. Woulda forced Wilson to get rid of the rock quicker.

The Packers might have had 1 second for a Magnus Carlson “Queen’s Gambit” field goal.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

He has gotten 2 pretty big PI calls on long balls, and then another 2 that were pretty blatant but the refs flags got stuck. He does need to let it fly on those long throws. These aren't Utah WRs running 4.6s. He should just try and overthrow Watson once just to see if it can be done. You know the game though, its all symbiotic. If you can't run you can't throw deep. If you can't throw deep you can't run. If you don't win in the trenches you can't do shit. Win in the trenches, run successfully and get single coverage on deep balls. It all will fall into place.

What is puzzling/concerning to me is how well the OL blocked in preseason (yeah, it's preseason) and especially how Jordan Love's decision making has gone south. Earlier this year even if his throws were off target or the receiver screwed up/dropped it you could see the decision making process and is was pretty clean. Now it's throwing into double coverage and passing up easy throws to go big game hunting. If he didn't have that tendency in college you'd think he learned it from Rodgers. Either way, Love has regressed since the start of the year and it's a problem.
    The deep shots need to happen, but less often and not into coverage. His accuracy and timing on those throws hasn't been there all year, maybe try it 2-3 times a game instead of 5-6. Also, I don't understand the underthrown deep passes - Watson is an incredibly large fast human, I'd think it would be almost impossible to overthrow him.
    Again, symbiotic. Play with a lead and he won't feel the need to push the ball downfield as much. The team is young and needs to learn. I'm not disappointed so far. We still have a soft schedule. I'd like to see Yosh at T and Tom at C to see if it helps. Mainly I want to see improvement from the offense and maybe holding a real team under 20. And Pookie has sucked all year for my fantasy team, but gashed us.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

And if Matty Flower doesn't llet Joe Barely go at the end of the season, you should shit can MLF, then.
    DAMN STRAIGHT!

I really think the offense will come around and that it hasn’t been the primary factor in the losses anyway. That would be Joe Barry’s D.

There was one play in the game that was really telling IMO. That was when Kenny Clark was called for holding on a run - basically acting like an O lineman, keeping people off the linebackers instead of making a play on the ball carrier. I think that was by design. Barry is an old LB coach. That thoroughly STUPID idea has a lot to do with why our run stopping is so shitty and also why the center of the field is so open on pass plays so often - over-reliance/misuse of the ILBs.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    As I predicted at some point having a rookie kicker would cost us a couple games. This is the season to get him right so we can benefit from 58 yard game winners in the future.
    Oh, fuck you. The kicker didn’t lose this game, the lack of a decisive QB did. That’s grade school shit blaming a kicker for a team’s deficiencies. This was a shit fucking team we played and they beat us, which means we are a worse team than they are. Stop making scapegoats and accept the fact we have an affirmative action QB that was given literally everything he needed to be, at least, a functional starter, and he has failed. He is a week willed milk week blowing in the wind. Let the Clifford era begin you Satan loving whores!!!
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Amen. He has more than earned it. He has made it his brand.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial