Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
and the probalem was, he was already under contract, no one needed to give him an extension, and he WANTED to be traded
I agree Red. We don't see eye to eye all the time on things, but Gutes et al fucked this one up good. At the time I said you call him with 3 options. 1) Agree to a trade where ever we can get the max value, but we will try and aim for your desired targets. 2) Sit there and pout, but hope Love doesn't ball out and make you look like a clown. 3) Fine, we will trade Love for what we can get if you agree to add $25 million one season to current deal. The next 2 years become fully gauranteed if as long as you play and report to EVERY practice.

Any of those would have worked I think. However, the solution of, we'll give you a shit ton of money to have us sit Love until you decide to retire and DROP a year from the current deal was absolutely asinine. And yes, I realize I am comparing 2 offseasons ago to last offseason. They dropped a year off to get him into camp. He won the MVP. They should have just let him play out the last year of the deal and went from there.