Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season 2023 Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    The thing that I find odd is that the Packers have made zero changes to their coaching staff. You see teams that made the playoffs making changes to their staffs, but we are apparently happy with every coaches performance and see no need to make changes.

This makes me start to question MLF and his leadership as the head coach.
    what do you expect from a head coach in his 20's or whatever he is

you need a GM or president with balls to tell him he has to make a change

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    what do you expect from a head coach in his 20's or whatever he is

you need a GM or president with balls to tell him he has to make a change
    MLF reports to Murphy, not Gute... so that's on Murphy. I got the sense that Gute is disappointed with Barry but can't really say/do much.
    I also get the sense that MLF has been frustrated with Barry at times but it's his pick and he's going to be loyal to his guy. Inheriting Pettine gave him some rope but MLF's picks at ST coach with Drayton and DC with Barry have not been good.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    MLF reports to Murphy, not Gute... so that's on Murphy. I got the sense that Gute is disappointed with Barry but can't really say/do much.
    I also get the sense that MLF has been frustrated with Barry at times but it's his pick and he's going to be loyal to his guy. Inheriting Pettine gave him some rope but MLF's picks at ST coach with Drayton and DC with Barry have not been good.
    This is a good point. Now, his current OC was a surprisingly good hire - as the OL coach. But he's an example of the Peter Principle - he's risen to his level of incompetence. Or so it would seem.

Next year is a big year for The Flower - no matter who's quarterbacking. He could be one of those coaches who looks like Charles Atlas but has the staying power of a gnat. Interesting test of his abilities, this coming year.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Cap up 20M next year. Nice jump. Making those big QB contracts look more reasonable after the cap going up 20% in two years.

So can they afford to give Gary the big contract he'll be looking for?

I still say, use that extra room to cushion the blow from the Rodgers cap hit after you trade his passive-aggressive ass to wherever he's willing to go.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Cap is probably gonna go up another 20M next year if not more. Saul goodman.

They'll resign Gary. I am not as high on him as some peeps. I hope he can become a superstar. Right now I fear he's gonna get a superstar contract and just not be that.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post

They'll resign Gary. I am not as high on him as some peeps. I hope he can become a superstar. Right now I fear he's gonna get a superstar contract and just not be that.
    He'd get a lot on the FA market if they don't extend him. GB's pass rush was actually much worse without him.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post

For the kind of money he's going to get, you'd like to see him set an edge much better than he does. He's like Z Smith that way.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    For the kind of money he's going to get, you'd like to see him set an edge much better than he does. He's like Z Smith that way.
    I disagree. One of the things that has impressed me has been his ability to set an edge. I think he has become a top 5 well rounded "big edge".
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I disagree. One of the things that has impressed me has been his ability to set an edge. I think he has become a top 5 well rounded "big edge".
    He has the ability to set the edge. But this year, like Z, he wasn't always where he was supposed to be on run plays.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Agree he can set the edge, it's a matter of doing it consistently. There were times both he and Preston sold out on the pass rush and guessed wrong, letting someone run right through the area they should have been.
    That's partly coaching and partly player execution. I'd like to see a little more discipline by the defense -- there was too much freelancing, bad communication, and penalties.

Gary's gotten better at edge-setting, but I don't think it will impact his ability to get a big contract. He's a crazy athlete who can rush the passer. Now I don't think he's worth Top 5 money, but he's worth Top 10 money given his age, production, and work ethic.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Agree he can set the edge, it's a matter of doing it consistently. There were times both he and Preston sold out on the pass rush and guessed wrong, letting someone run right through the area they should have been.
    That's partly coaching and partly player execution. I'd like to see a little more discipline by the defense -- there was too much freelancing, bad communication, and penalties.

Gary's gotten better at edge-setting, but I don't think it will impact his ability to get a big contract. He's a crazy athlete who can rush the passer. Now I don't think he's worth Top 5 money, but he's worth Top 10 money given his age, production, and work ethic.
    So does Harvey Korman:

KYPack

Wow. Who knew that Harvey Korman, in a movie rated PG, would be age-restricted by YouTube? Wow.

KYPack

Kids these days just don't understand humor.

On a serious note, the weird penalties, especially on defense, tell me there's a lack of discipline. Rasul walking up on that FG and then retaliating & Quay getting ejected in Week 18, Quay two other times (BUF, and MIN games) as well. Not playing your called coverage right, poor run defense fits, keeping Savage & Lowry out there when struggling. Don't feel like there's enough accountability either. I put that on the coaches as much as on the players.

Margin for error is small -- look at what the penalty on Ossai meant for CIN. I don't feel like this team is sharp enough to avoid those or overcome them. Maybe they come back in 2023 with better discipline, poise, and tackling, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    How do you know that the Edges where actually the Force player or the Edge setter on certain plays? They could be playing a spill technique or there could have been a gap exchange going on with the edge and possibly the LB or even the safety. Roles and jobs responsibilities change based on play calls and offensive formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    How do you know that the Edges where actually the Force player or the Edge setter on certain plays? They could be playing a spill technique or there could have been a gap exchange going on with the edge and possibly the LB or even the safety. Roles and jobs responsibilities change based on play calls and offensive formation.
    Geezuz, Nutz, you remind me of Patler here, trying to inject a knowledgeable post that asks people to consider the reality of the situation.

What the hell is wrong with you? If I say Gary sucks at setting an edge, then it must be true, because I think it's true.

You and your damn facts.

KYPack

Gary sets the edge fine a lot of times. When he doesn't, it's a matter of scheme to go all out on pass rush with somebody else responsible for the edge. I think Z. Smith got burned a lot more often than Gary on the edge, maybe because he freelanced sometimes when he shouldn't have. Ultimately, it probably comes back to Barry in almost all cases.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Sign Gary to a contract, get a TE in FA like Evan Engram, Add a WR like Jakobi Meyers, DT in the vein of Rankins. Lets go all the hell in, restructure everyone and get ready for cap hell in three years
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Fair question. There were numerous instances of Gary rushing upfield and the offense just running right at the vacated area. Maybe there's supposed to be someone filling in or rotating and they are either blocked or not executing. Maybe it's a shitty play call by the DC. It's happened enough with Gary where it would be quite the coincidence if that were the case.

The regression of Campbell and Walker being a rookie certainly contributed to run issues. There were a lot more missed tackles this year which is a problem -- a defense that can prevent yards after contact is more likely to force a punt and get off the field.