Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season 2023 Banjo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Lazard the most. Cobb the least.
    This, but none are critical.

Rodgers can retire and apply for a GM position somewhere. Otherwise, stop adding to the media drama.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tonyan back on a cheap deal - does he need to sign one more "prove it" contract, or has he done enough that some team is willing to invest more in him than the Packers would be?

I love Mercedes Lewis. I think there's always room for a guy like him in any locker room.

Alan Lazard is very good in his role, but I don't think that role - the third receiver, the great run blocker - is worth a big contract.

Cobb does have utility as that third-down guy, but I don't think the Packers want him back, and I can understand why.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

The answer to this question obviously changes depending on the contracts needed to keep them. I wouldn't pay much for any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    The answer to this question obviously changes depending on the contracts needed to keep them. I wouldn't pay much for any of them.
    Lazard is going to get money. The pundits say it's a terrible WR FA crop. I haven't looked real closely, but from what I saw they appeared mostly correct. Caveat would be some team cuts someone (e.g., Brandin Cooks) under contract, but there's more demand than supply. Considering Christian Kirk got something like 16-17M a year and MVS got 10M, what do you think Lazard is going to get? I love Lazard but he's a WR3 who blocks really well, but that's not worth 8M+ a year. Not when you're over the cap by $20M and have to restructure Aaron Jones.

Cobb has, I think, a contract for $6 or 7 million. He needs to get cut, obviously, BUT to then re-sign him for the vet minimum or at most maybe $1 million or so, that makes sense - he's plenty good enough even at his age to be a 5th or 6th WR and back up kick returner.

Lazard, I say again, IMO will not get the big money from other teams some think. I think he stays with the Packers for maybe $5-7 million with a cap friendly contract.

No reason to think Lewis won't stay for the same million or so, especially if Rodgers is still the QB.

Tonyan will be back. Whether they sign him long term or just "prove it" depends on the medical assessment. Hopefully that is a positive.

We still could use a high round TE and a mid-round WR.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

There's a pretty good argument that Cobb looked better than he is because Rodgers targeted him because of his relationship and trust.With a neutral QB, I suspect Cobb would have been targeted much less.

I can't prove this, but there's enough tape on Rodgers overlooking wide open WRs last.year to make it plausible.

Blog Entries
    Is it in our best interest to bring back the cronies as opposed for looking for youth with upside, OR are those who advocate it trying to talk themselves into the logic just to get Sharon back ?

If Love was our QB, would you viewpoints change ?

I am fine with Lazard for 5 MIL (but no more) and Tonyan for a couple Mil. Pass on the others
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Lazard is worth more than 5 million, but probably not worth what he will get. Tonyan is worth bringing back. It will take a bit more than 2 million. I'm not totally opposed to bringing Cobb back, especially if Love is the QB. An inexperienced QB could use at least 1 savvy vet WR, and it looks like it won't be Lazard. If Rodgers is the QB, I'm not sure I want Cobb back, because Rodgers preference will be to go to Cobb instead of developing the young guys. I wouldn't mind bringing Lewis back no matter who the QB is, although I'm not sure he's worth the 4 million they've been paying him.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Is JIMMY getting the CB job or what Bretsky?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I thought he was a safety.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries

Highly unlikely IMO that Jimmy comes to GB
    Jimmy got a pretty nice deal from UW--Jimmy's getting paid $1,000,000 the upcoming year as kind of a severance/good soldier deal; so Jimmy's going to be selctive
    I've never heard any whispers about Jimmy wanting to be the CB coach in GB; I have heard whispers that a couple major colleges are offering him DC positions and he's considering them
    I'd be surprised if Jimmy took a job under Joekster Barry who runs a very very different defense than Jimmy would run

I would not be surprised if Jimmy took a year off, or ended up as a DC at a major college, or even in the NFL.

But I do think Jimmy's going to be selctive given that he can take the year off and chillax if he wants to
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Do people in Wisconsin overrate Leonhard's status? Doesn't seem like you hear any news in relation to Leonhard except from Packer fans.

Blog Entries
    Do people in Wisconsin overrate Leonhard's status? Doesn't seem like you hear any news in relation to Leonhard except from Packer fans.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur0g-R7ZODY

He was a safety, and a good one. Was basically the field general for the NYJ Rex Ryan defenses that got them to the playoffs during the brief Sanchize era. Vexed Brady, even.

I think he's probably taking the year off, he's getting paid by the Badgers (and its students and boosters) to do nothing, and all the college coaching posts are about taken. They are deep into recruiting and planning spring practices; he should have been hired by now.

There's other considerations: why uproot your family to take a pro coaching position for a year or two for 500K when you could get paid millions to build and run your own college program for a decade somewhere? I'm sure he has some interest from pro teams, but not to the Packers as a secondary coach. He'd want a higher position than that, especially since they offered him the DC job previously. Finally, I don't know if his philosophies jive with Barry's.

Is he overrated because of being in the backyard? Possibly. He has run some good defenses, but I don't think it's anything revolutionary, nor would I think he gets that much more rope than other recent DC's who have turned into punching bags (Capers, Pettine, Barry) by the fans.

I was thinking DB coaching gig could give him a year to learn and get comfy with MILF before taking the DC job next year. I can't imagine Barry lasts beyond one more year given his awful track record.

If the Packers roll with Love, I kinda hope they bring in Hendon Henderson in the 2nd. It sounds like scouts absolutely love him and he could be the sleeper of the draft.

I was thinking DB coaching gig could give him a year to learn and get comfy with MILF before taking the DC job next year. I can't imagine Barry lasts beyond one more year given his awful track record.

If the Packers roll with Love, I kinda hope they bring in Hendon Henderson in the 2nd. It sounds like scouts absolutely love him and he could be the sleeper of the draft.
    Hendon Hooker? 2nd might be a little early. But it's early. He'd be a developmental guy who ran a spread offense very different from NFL offenses.

Hooker operates in a vertical spread tempo offense with very little translatability to the next level. The receiver alignments are incredibly wide and the vertical passing concepts are mostly foreign to the NFL. The system feasts on manufactured spacing with very little progression-style passing. Hooker isn’t tasked with making many decisions and throws are often predetermined. Hooker hasn’t showcased himself as a quarterback who makes anticipatory throws with consistency. Further complicating his projection to the NFL is that he turns 25 in January of 2023 and tore his ACL late in the 2022 season and may need to take a full redshirt year in the NFL.

Hooker’s age, injury status, and adjustment to the next level make him a complicated evaluation. There is appeal for him as a developmental starter if everything comes together but he at least should provide value as a backup.

Hendon Hooker? 2nd might be a little early. But it's early. He'd be a developmental guy who ran a spread offense very different from NFL offenses.
    I don't know who he played for, but it reminds me a lot of Art Briles' offense: quick to formation, widely spaced receivers, deep routes, small route tree. This forces the defense to play a lot of man. QB reads only left or right half of the field, picks his target based on alignment and feasts off the fourth-best receiver being better than the fourth-best DB. Throw in QB/RB delayed handoff drawing safetys close, pulling OL on every play, and CFB's more generous downfield-blocking tolerance, and it's a vicious concept that doesn't translate well to the pros.
    Last edited by NewsBruin; 02-14-2023 at 09:09 PM.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Yeah, I've heard some people basically claim that Tennessee (and thus Hendon Hooker) don't really run a real offense. Makes me wonder about the two WRs (Wyatt and ???) and their learning curves. His age and injury history are concerns also. Day 3 developmental guy. Same with Michael Penix. BTW, both could sell a lot of jerseys lol

The COVID super senior stuff will work its way out soon, but when I see some of these 5th and 6th year seniors putting on highlights it doesn't wow me. They're basically 23 year olds playing against 19 year olds... of course they should dominate. Compare with Kenny Clark, who just finished his 7th season. Dude is 27 years old and seems like he's been seeing double teams playing for GB forever. Still needs help on the DL.

Nobody really wants an aging Hooker.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Nobody really wants an aging Hooker.