Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season 2023 Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    What team without a rookie contract QB isn’t in cap hell right now?
    Define cap hell.

Broncos, Colts, Lions, Cardinals, Ravens, Seahawks, not sure about Falcons or Commanders. Those are some of the teams below the cap to start 2023.
    Even if you're a team above the cap by ~$5M you can probably gain that space by cutting an underperforming player or restructuring/extending a player's contract without too much pain. It's when you've done that with all your possible contracts and you are still right against the cap now and likely over again in the next year that you run into problems.

TT was pretty good about keeping the team in good shape with the cap. I have to wonder if this is Murphy pushing to keep the team together more than Gute or MLF.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I still say Myers is the best player in the current O Line, and he is about as good as Linsley was when he demanded too much money and was let go, and the proof of that is the excellent inside running game the Packers have had the past couple of years.
    And I will say you are wrong. Josh Myers was NOT the best player on the OL last year. You can say PFF grades suck, but Bakhtiari graded out at 79.8, Jenkins at 72.3, Njiman at 63.1, Runyan at 62.6, Myers at 60.4. It sounds like PFF graded out the OL the exact opposite from you. He ranked at 26th out of 36 Centers who started at least 4 games.

Oh, and Corey Linsley? Linsley graded out at a 74.

The eyeball test also showed Myers was inconsistent -- some good along with some bad. For a big guy he struggled with power and got worked over pretty good (if not embarrassed) by NTs at times. They ask him to do a lot and he's a good athlete, but he struggled, and I think they will bring in competition. Rodgers was saying Linsley was a Pro Bowl C in his rookie year; he cusses out Myers. If Myers doesn't get it together this year it might look like a bad pick considering Creed Humphrey was there.

Consider Zach Tom got a 68.4 grade, Royce Newman a 57.5 and you'll get a better idea of where Myers is.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Define cap hell.

Broncos, Colts, Lions, Cardinals, Ravens, Seahawks, not sure about Falcons or Commanders. Those are some of the teams below the cap to start 2023.
    Even if you're a team above the cap by ~$5M you can probably gain that space by cutting an underperforming player or restructuring/extending a player's contract without too much pain. It's when you've done that with all your possible contracts and you are still right against the cap now and likely over again in the next year that you run into problems.

TT was pretty good about keeping the team in good shape with the cap. I have to wonder if this is Murphy pushing to keep the team together more than Gute or MLF.
    He should have been more specific. Name a team without a rookie contract QB that doesn't suck and isn't in cap hell. And just for reference the Ravens QB WAS on a rookie deal and currently counts for ZERO against the cap.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Define cap hell.

I think it’s as simple as then wanting to keep the window open as long as possible after 2 straight NFCC appearances and coming off the first MVP year. I don’t think there is any long term risk. Whenever they cut over to the next QB they will pay the piper for a year and suck and then get some high picks and money to get right back to where they belong if the QB is capable.

The year the team stunk when cutting over the Rodgers gave them the studs the helped them win the SB two years later. I love that plan personally.

And just for reference the Ravens QB WAS on a rookie deal and currently counts for ZERO against the cap.
    Ah, for some reason I thought he was on the franchise one-year deal and they were threatening to do it again. I'm a year early.

And I will say you are wrong. Josh Myers was NOT the best player on the OL last year. You can say PFF grades suck, but Bakhtiari graded out at 79.8, Jenkins at 72.3, Njiman at 63.1, Runyan at 62.6, Myers at 60.4. It sounds like PFF graded out the OL the exact opposite from you. He ranked at 26th out of 36 Centers who started at least 4 games.

Oh, and Corey Linsley? Linsley graded out at a 74.

The eyeball test also showed Myers was inconsistent -- some good along with some bad. For a big guy he struggled with power and got worked over pretty good (if not embarrassed) by NTs at times. They ask him to do a lot and he's a good athlete, but he struggled, and I think they will bring in competition. Rodgers was saying Linsley was a Pro Bowl C in his rookie year; he cusses out Myers. If Myers doesn't get it together this year it might look like a bad pick considering Creed Humphrey was there.

Consider Zach Tom got a 68.4 grade, Royce Newman a -57.5 and you'll get a better idea of where Myers is.
    Fixed that for you.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Jimmy in Philly. Why did GB not make the call? Flower is a good coach but won’t be great if he won’t try to get incremental

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPac...tm_name=iossmf
    Leonhard not being hired by Philly.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Kinda odd. I wonder what actually transpired in those conversations. I don't get it to be honest. You have all the money in the world - generational wealth - why would you want to uproot your kids so you can work 12 hours a day?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...-with-broncos/

This probably belongs in the ex packers thread, but I'll appropriately call it "Less Banjo"

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

This probably belongs in the ex packers thread, but I'll appropriately call it "Less Banjo"
    Wow, that is super great. 10 year career for a guy like that is hella impressive. Scrappy, tenacious dude to say the least.

?

The threa was named after this guy, so it's entirely appropriate here.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Wow. I am under the impression the Packers are frantically kicking every can they see down the road to try to get by this year. So does that mean there are another fifteen teams or so that are worse off than that?

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Wow. I am under the impression the Packers are frantically kicking every can they see down the road to try to get by this year. So does that mean there are another fifteen teams or so that are worse off than that?
    Yes. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    No no no. The Packers are just cruising along, doing what needs to be done for short term deadlines, etc. The cap can always be defeated. As the chart shows, almost half the league is worse off than the Packers on the cap, many MUCH worse, and many are worse off for dead money, and trust me, ALL of those will field at very least a moderately competitive team. The other thing to notice from that chart is that the teams in "cap heaven" - seemingly best shape cap-wise - are for the most part, the current and/or perennial losers in the league. Be careful what you wish for, ya'all cap worry worts hahahahahahaha.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

https://twitter.com/KenIngalls/statu...CxobOR5J0tAAAA
    Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap 💰
    @KenIngalls
    Between 2021 & 2022 the Green Bay Packers pushed $34.2M of salary cap costs into the 2023 league year.

So far, with 3 restructures pushing 2023 expense into 2024-2027, the Packers have cleared $27.9M of space.

$6.3M to go just to clear the cost of going for it the past 2 years.
    9:04 PM · Feb 25, 2023
    ·
    Views

The big IF with pushing money to future years is: IF WE DRAFT WELL......

Because you will need to find exceptional talent on cheap early contracts to minimize the impact to the depth of the roster as it will be harder and harder to fill spots with veterans and/or extend the guys you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    The big IF with pushing money to future years is: IF WE DRAFT WELL......

Because you will need to find exceptional talent on cheap early contracts to minimize the impact to the depth of the roster as it will be harder and harder to fill spots with veterans and/or extend the guys you have.
    This be a good point.

That chart Joe posted would take some studying. The Chiefs, for example, have very, very little dead money - you'd think that's a good thing - yet they are beneath the Packers in cap space. So do they just have a lot of active players they are paying a lot of money to? And the Iggles - lots of dead money there, so how'd they pay to have a Super Bowl team this year?

KYPack