Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season 2023 Banjo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Sometimes I envision Tex as a real life George Castanza.
    Tex as George: "I'm Disturbed, I'm Depressed, I'm Inadequate - I've Got It All!"

It's not zero effect, but the effect doesn't really matter at all because it can be easily overcome? Talk about splitting hairs for no apparent substantive reason.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    It's not zero effect, but the effect doesn't really matter at all because it can be easily overcome? Talk about splitting hairs for no apparent substantive reason.
    Sharpe you god damned piece of shit, don't you know zero and nothing are entirely different!!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Uh ....... yeah. Have I not been totally consistent in saying the cap can be manipulated/handled/defeated?

You're absolutely correct that cap room is a factor in getting FAs signed or not. No argument there. However, I say again, IT'S FAR FROM THE ONLY FACTOR, and based on that chart, THE TEAMS WITH THE BEST CAP SITUATION - BEARS AT THE TOP OF THE LIST - STINK THE WORST, WHILE TEAMS WITH THE WORST CAP PROBLEMS - PACKERS BEING NOT MUCH BELOW THE MIDDLE OF THE PACK - ARE GENERALLY THE MOST CONSISTENT WINNERS. Do you disagree with that? No? Then why make such a big deal about the cap?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Uh ....... yeah. Have I not been totally consistent in saying the cap can be manipulated/handled/defeated?

You're absolutely correct that cap room is a factor in getting FAs signed or not. No argument there. However, I say again, IT'S FAR FROM THE ONLY FACTOR, and based on that chart, THE TEAMS WITH THE BEST CAP SITUATION - BEARS AT THE TOP OF THE LIST - STINK THE WORST, WHILE TEAMS WITH THE WORST CAP PROBLEMS - PACKERS BEING NOT MUCH BELOW THE MIDDLE OF THE PACK - ARE GENERALLY THE MOST CONSISTENT WINNERS. Do you disagree with that? No? Then why make such a big deal about the cap?
    Yeah, it's not as simple as the cap doesn't matter or lower cap is good Glad you finally came around to what the rest of us have been talking about from the start

The packers literally pushed 30M into this year. So after they clear 30M by pushing it into next year they’ll just be at break even. It’s not an advantage anymore.

But the way the cap inflates, there is a slight advantage paying later.

But the way the void contracts work (no comp picks) that kind of bites you in the ass.

Rodgers contract gets significantly worse if we keep him beyond this year. More than likely they’d have to rework it and add void years. They have a lot of motivation to trade though. The contract is set up for a trade this year. Too bad he’s such a weirdo and had a down year. Might not get much for a 40 year old mulling retirement and not playing so great.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

You can't judge cap management by looking at the cap situation at one point in time. Teams that are way under the cap now will use it up. For example, they may restructure a good young player to front load their contract so later years are cap friendly. If they aren't doing that, they're wasting cap room.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    You can't judge cap management by looking at the cap situation at one point in time. Teams that are way under the cap now will use it up. For example, they may restructure a good young player to front load their contract so later years are cap friendly. If they aren't doing that, they're wasting cap room.
    Sadly this is really hard to do because the players will play out the early years then hold out. A few teams tried it and it blew up on them. I think Antonio Brown was one example. The early money is banked along with most of the signing bonus. Now the all pro has a base $5 million contract and decides to hold out.

What????? That's what I've been saying all along hahahahahaha. It seems like you were the one trying to make such a big deal out of the cap - not that you were the only one with that damn dumb idea. Now finally you're saying it's "not as simple as the cap"? Welcome into the light, and nice example of cap manipulation. Tell Bears fans how good that lower cap is hahahahaha.

What????? That's what I've been saying all along hahahahahaha. It seems like you were the one trying to make such a big deal out of the cap - not that you were the only one with that damn dumb idea. Now finally you're saying it's "not as simple as the cap"? Welcome into the light, and nice example of cap manipulation. Tell Bears fans how good that lower cap is hahahahaha.
    Maybe I read too much into you stating teams can offer pretty much whatever they want to players. I am not sure what you mean by a big deal. I said it's at least relevant to how much two competing teams can offer a player.

Well, if this latest post is your position, we don't have any disagreement hahahahaha. I say again, welcome in from the dark side.

Well, if this latest post is your position, we don't have any disagreement hahahahaha. I say again, welcome in from the dark side.
    Thanks, but I haven't changed my position at all.

First of all, higher character more "Packer type" guys won't do that. Secondly, if they are still worth keeping in those later years, you can restructure/kick the can down the road again, placate the guy with a nice bonus, and do it all again. Think Aaron Jones in both cases.

First of all, higher character more "Packer type" guys won't do that. Secondly, if they are still worth keeping in those later years, you can restructure/kick the can down the road again, placate the guy with a nice bonus, and co it all again. Think Aaron Jones in both cases.
    I like the current method the league has rotated into. Virtually locked in 3 year deals with big backend salaries that the team can move on from or pay.

First of all, higher character more "Packer type" guys won't do that. Secondly, if they are still worth keeping in those later years, you can restructure/kick the can down the road again, placate the guy with a nice bonus, and do it all again. Think Aaron Jones in both cases.
    Maybe Rodgers can decide to be one of your Packer People and redo his contract so it doesn't hurt the team.

Arguably that's what his current contract is. Presumably, if/when he restructures again, the whiners and detractors will AGAIN show the same rotten lack of appreciation. Yeah, they seem to be justified by the overall badness, including but certainly not limited to Rodgers last season, but just wait and see. If Rodgers plays great this season, I bet a lot of the shitheadedness will continue in here.

Blog Entries
    Arguably that's what his current contract is. Presumably, if/when he restructures again, the whiners and detractors will AGAIN show the same rotten lack of appreciation. Yeah, they seem to be justified by the overall badness, including but certainly not limited to Rodgers last season, but just wait and see. If Rodgers plays great this season, I bet a lot of the shitheadedness will continue in here.

Rodgers wasn't worth 50 million the way he played last year; I suspect he'll come out bitter this year and will be worth that amount. But we don't need to show him love; he's not giving us a deal. We are paying him what he's worth, ASSUMING he plays much bettter than he did last year. He won't give us a deal; that's not him. He might push money out, but he's never taking a pay cut imo
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Yes let's appreciate a $50M QB who can't crack the top 10 in most metrics (basic or advanced), especially since we've never appreciated him before.

Appreciation? That's what we do most games, and that's what the $300M they've already paid him, and a future spot in the HOF and Packers HOF is.

He's been appreciated plenty. Trading a player doesn't mean you don't appreciate them... just that they aren't a fit on your team anymore. Those are two different things.

I suspect you were booing Rodgers and screaming about them getting rid of an "unappreciated" Favre. Doubt you'd admit it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Yes let's appreciate a $50M QB who can't crack the top 10 in most metrics (basic or advanced), especially since we've never appreciated him before.

Appreciation? That's what we do most games, and that's what the $300M they've already paid him, and a future spot in the HOF and Packers HOF is.

He's been appreciated plenty. Trading a player doesn't mean you don't appreciate them... just that they aren't a fit on your team anymore. Those are two different things.

I suspect you were booing Rodgers and screaming about them getting rid of an "unappreciated" Favre. Doubt you'd admit it either way.
    First of all, I suspect those "metrics" are flawed - not valuing enough avoiding interceptions. Secondly, the injury and the inexperience at WR are obviously the primary causes of the downturn. 3rd, I saw greatness in Rodgers very early. Yes, I was conflicted about keeping Favre or not, but certainly not to the extent of "booing" Rodgers. Favre showed obvious signs of decline that IMO Rodgers has not. Fourthly, it was a different league back then - QBs took a beating a lot more than now with the rules, etc., which allow playing longer.

No, advocating trading him doesn't necessarily mean not appreciating him. It more likely means not appreciating winning a LOT of games, which almost certainly will go on with him and end without him.

This figure of "$50M QB" gets thrown around. It ain't as simple as 150 divded by 3. What counts (and is ironic because so many in here are "cap hypocrites") is his cap number which was extremely low last year and will be way less than $50M this year. When I say he has a team friendly contract, THAT is what I mean. That contract is also the reason why he won't get traded (RG, you're dead wrong about that) and he almost certainly won't retire. And as for the badness/consequences at the end of it, even that can be spread out/kicked down the road.