Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season 2023 Banjo

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    and the probalem was, he was already under contract, no one needed to give him an extension, and he WANTED to be traded
    That should make all your wieners bleed out of frustration

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    and the probalem was, he was already under contract, no one needed to give him an extension, and he WANTED to be traded
    I agree Red. We don't see eye to eye all the time on things, but Gutes et al fucked this one up good. At the time I said you call him with 3 options. 1) Agree to a trade where ever we can get the max value, but we will try and aim for your desired targets. 2) Sit there and pout, but hope Love doesn't ball out and make you look like a clown. 3) Fine, we will trade Love for what we can get if you agree to add $25 million one season to current deal. The next 2 years become fully gauranteed if as long as you play and report to EVERY practice.

Any of those would have worked I think. However, the solution of, we'll give you a shit ton of money to have us sit Love until you decide to retire and DROP a year from the current deal was absolutely asinine. And yes, I realize I am comparing 2 offseasons ago to last offseason. They dropped a year off to get him into camp. He won the MVP. They should have just let him play out the last year of the deal and went from there.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

But those aren't realistic things Bobblehead. Why would Aaron take 25M in 2023 in the hypothetical above? The going rate for a top QB is ~50M.

Had him play out the last year and then tag him if he’s still dominating. What they did was cave to 12. And now they pay.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Had him play out the last year and then tag him if he’s still dominating. What they did was cave to 12. And now they pay.
    they caved, and then they threw all the money they had at him to make it up to him, even though they never did anything wrong

It wasn't Gutes. Murphy is the brainchild behind this whole train wreck. Gutes wanted/wants to give Love a shot. Murphy was pissing himself thinking about the bad pub he'd get during phase II of the TitleTown district development.

I remember the timing of Aaron's extension being "someone close to Rodgers camp" reporting that Green Bay wanted to trade Aaron, and that Aaron wanted to retire and become the next Wink Martindale rather than face such disrespect from a stone-eared front office that never wanted to give him anything nice. This extension was all about caving into Aaron's hurt from such unprecedented disloyalty to a humble football Saint. The front office didn't want to be the bad guys and didn't want to risk Love flopping as the next Brett Hundley as a no-notice starter.

Embellishment aside, this was all about Green Bay locking itself into a contract that would give Aaron bonuses to show how sorry they were and guaranteed salaries with early triggers to show they'd never do it again.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

They didn't think JLo was the guy when they wrote that contract, or they wouldn't have done it. Earned or not (it obviously was).

The question is do they still think that. I think the bigger question is Brady retiring this year. If he is, then Rodgers returns to the NFL. If not, maybe Rodgers views this as a good time to walk away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    The Packers offered this deal less than a year ago, he signed the deal less than a year ago. He was 38 years old. The Packers deserve to be cattle prodded after that ridiculous contract. 3 years 150 million with 101 million upfront, Just stupid.

Once it was clear adams was gone I think Sharon grabbed gutebag by the balls and just kept squeezing til he cried and gave him everything he wanted and more
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I don't really understand that positioning. I think it's wrong.

Rodgers re-negotiated his contract in 2021 to remove the 2023 year, so if they didn't give him an extension, he'd be a lame duck and/or a free agent right now.

He was coming off back to back MVPs, who isn't resigning that guy when he has one year left??

He got 10% more than Josh Allen a year later and about 12% more than Mahomes two years later. That feels about right and typical of contracts, no?

One can gripe about the structure of the contract and I think that is fair to complain about but it looks like it was done such a way to minimize cap space used in 2022 and 2023. Would you rather they have as much extra space as possible to sign other players in 2022 and 2023 and pay the bill later when they're rebuilding or pay it all up front? I want the championships like Bretsky so the answer is obvious.

In short, I don't think what Gooter did is different than what every other GM would have done. Pay this man his money. Don't splash the pot.

The other thing I think is sorta weird is the positioning that he's not worth the contract or whatever. Fair enough, but he earned it at the time and all parties agreed so it's not really your concern one way or another. The team probably isn't winning with Rodgers or Love right now so I don't really care about the money aspect and would rather just see ARod play a bit more ball if possible.

Per https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...tract-signings
    Here’s a breakdown of the Packers’ 2023 roster, by position, as it stands today:

QB (3): Aaron Rodgers, Jordan Love, Danny Etling
    RB (4): Aaron Jones, AJ Dillon, Patrick Taylor, Tyler Goodson
    WR (5): Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Samori Toure, Bo Melton, Jeff Cotton
    TE (3): Josiah Deguara, Austin Allen, Nick Guggemos
    OL (12): David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Jon Runyan, Yosh Nijman (likely-to-be-tendered RFA), Zach Tom, Royce Newman, Sean Rhyan, Luke Tenuta, Caleb Jones, Rasheed Walker, Jean Delance
    DL (5): Kenny Clark, Devonte Wyatt, TJ Slaton, Jonathan Ford, Chris Slayton
    OLB (5): Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Kingsley Enagbare, Jonathan Garvin, La’Darius Hamilton
    ILB (3): De’Vondre Campbell, Quay Walker, Isaiah McDuffie
    CB (7): Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Rasul Douglas, Shemar Jean-Charles, Kiondre Thomas, Tyrell Ford, Benjie Franklin
    S (4): Darnell Savage, Innis Gaines, Vernon Scott, James Wiggins
    K (1): Parker White
    P (1): Pat O’Donnell
    LS (1): Jack Coco

DeGuara has a pretty good chance of making the team.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

CMI, he’s 39 years old. A 3 year extension (4 year deal) at top QB dollar….. they could have known he would decline. And the chemistry thing with 17. They could have known he wouldn’t play as well.

It was a bad contract.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I didn't like the contract extension back when they did it. I like it even less now.

CMI, he’s 39 years old. A 3 year extension (4 year deal) at top QB dollar….. they could have known he would decline. And the chemistry thing with 17. They could have known he wouldn’t play as well.

It was a bad contract.
    Eh, I disagree. It's a market value contract that was earned. Maybe the Packers would have been better moving on but they didn't and needed to sign him. He'd have gotten the same money if not more anywhere else. The structure arguably would be different for a team with more cap space.

Obviously, I liked the contract when it was done, and obviously I still like it now. Why? Because it keeps Rodgers in Green Bay. Of course, the haters and shitheads would rather have Rodgers gone - apparently willing to settle for the mediocrity that would bring. Fortunately, the powers that be wanted to keep Rodgers on the team, and I suspect they are not stupidly regretting the contract like some dumbasses in here.

It's probably true that Rodgers doesn't want to retire the same year as Brady. It's also probably more likely to be true he doesn't want to retire before Brady. It may even be true that he wants to play to at least the same age Brady is when he retires. Or then again, maybe he doesn't give a shit one way or the other about Brady. Unlike several shitheads in here who think they know what's in rodgers' mind or that of LaFleur or Gutekunst or whoever, I don't pretend to know that the guy is thinking beyond what I hear him say directly - usually on McAfee's show. I sure as hell hope he doesn't retire anytime soon and he stays with the Packers 'til the end because the alternative is long term mediocrity - which some dumbasses seem to either want or seem to be oblivious about.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    DeGuara has a pretty good chance of making the team.
    So does Jeff Cotton at this point.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I sure as hell hope he doesn't retire anytime soon and he stays with the Packers 'til the end because the alternative is long term mediocrity - which some dumbasses seem to either want or seem to be oblivious about.

I think he has one more season in him at most with Green Bay. What he (and the rest of the offense) showed this year was closer to ineptitude than mediocrity, especially in the RZ or short yardage/4th downs. Rodgers can play better, but I think his elite days are gone. When guys like Brock Purdy are operating the Shanahan offense into the playoffs, you have to wonder why Rodgers can barely make it look competent.

I don't think Rodgers plays out the contract, which as a back-to-back MVP he might have deserved...but that structure is cap crippling and it's a gamble with an aging QB.
    He may or may not care about Brady, but you can bet when Brady goes in he will get all the attention and I doubt 12 would like being the sidekick/opening act.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Nope, we all pay..

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I didn't like the contract extension back when they did it. I like it even less now.
    Ditto..