Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: Off-season 2023 Banjo

IMO they should NOT have sat Favre or Rodgers except when absolutely not possible for them to play. We had enough games with Tolzien or worst of all Seneca Wallace among other crap backups that Favre or Rodgers at 80/70/60/50% effectiveness was preferable.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    IMO they should NOT have sat Favre or Rodgers except when absolutely not possible for them to play. We had enough games with Tolzien or worst of all Seneca Wallace among other crap backups that Favre or Rodgers at 80/70/60/50% effectiveness was preferable.
    99 team had Hasselback and Brooks, both future NFL starters backing up Favor. Last year’s team had J-Lo. Sure, they ain’t Butte or Favor. But an argument could be made that they ain’t Tolzien, Wallace, or worst of all, Brett Hundley, either.

I once spent 200 of my minimum-wage paycheck to watch Hundley play live against the Baltimore She-males, a game in which the Packers were annihilated something like 72-0. Hundley was every bit as abominable in that game as his distant relative, Attila the Hun.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Nah. MOF is where the Alex Smiths of the world throw. Gotta prove you're better than Alex Smith, even if he retired years ago without a ring.
    Besides, everyone loves those YOLO deep sideline throws when they make the highlights on Sportscenter, who care if they connect at less than 50% and you check out of a run on 3rd and 2.

Yeah, maybe Jonesy should have gotten the ball more.

(Yes, I'm just having a little fun. He was a great QB)
    Tin cup would never settle for the safe throw....just sayin'
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The funny thing is that wallace only played like a game and a quarter but your statement is still accurate. It was too much.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Tin cup would never settle for the safe throw....just sayin'
    Which is all great until you dunk 8 in the water on the final hole................or throw a pick in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    Which is all great until you dunk 8 in the water on the final hole................or throw a pick in OT.
    Ha!

I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of check-downs and safe throws. We'll get out fill, I'll bet, this year.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of check-downs and safe throws. We'll get out fill, I'll bet, this year.
    When the coverage calls for it, a checkdown is better than waiting forever for somebody to get open. If a safe throw means throwing to the open guy on time, I'm all for it.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying we're going to see a lot more of it this year, and at times it will drive us nuts.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying we're going to see a lot more of it this year, and at times it will drive us nuts.
    Unless it results in a lot of 2-3 yard gains on third and four, it won't drive me nuts. He will have to hit some deep ones to keep the defense honest, but he has plenty of arm strength to do it. I'm almost certain he will hit a number of 10-15 yard throws over the middle, which I'll be thrilled to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Devondre Campbell was signed June 9. Rasul Douglas October 6. Ya never know.
    Speaking of "ya never know," does anyone know much about the two wide receivers in the supplemental draft pool? The supplemental draft is next Tuesday, and I wonder if either of the two is worth bidding on. One's named Wright and the other is, I think, Weideman. Both had issues with academics. Both about 6" or just above, both about 190 - 195, one ran a 4.59 40 and the other a 4.52.

Neither seems spectacular, but is one worth throwing a pick at? Or is the wide receiver room already too crowded with diaper dandies?

KYPack

Tom Brady made a career out of doing things opposite of Rodgers. He always looked for the short completion first and progressed to deep routes if it wasn't there.

This is about all I can find on it:
    https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profoo...ayers-eligible
    If the Packers are concerned about the health of DuBose, a 7th for Wright might be reasonable, but otherwise pass. Neither played much last season, or would have tested to get a RAS score, so even a 7th is pretty high for them.

Neither seems spectacular, but is one worth throwing a pick at? Or is the wide receiver room already too crowded with diaper dandies?
    I doubt they would pick either. If they did, it would signal there are concerns with the receivers they already have. Would also mean a draft pick was likely getting cut.

They have a lot of young unproven talent, might as well ride with it and see where it goes.
    Dubose might not make the team if Malik Heath and Bo Melton have anything to say about it.

Watson, Doubs, Toure, Reed, Wicks, Dubose, Melton, Heath, Jeff Cotton, Duece Watts, Jakadis Bonds on the roster now. They're gonna keep 6.
    Now if there was a standout safety in the supp draft...

I think the wide receiver group is going to be good, but they're so damn young that this is going to be a learning season for everyone. Things will shake out, and by next season we'll have a handle on the pecking order and some sense of how good the Watson/Doubs/Toure trio actually is, and some idea of this year's rookie group as well - not as much, but some.

KYPack

The Packers signed Alex McGough to backup first-year starter Jordan Love in 2023 after a team workout on Tuesday, July 18, according to Bill Huber of FanNation’s Packer Central.

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    [FONT="]The Packers signed [/FONT]Alex McGough[FONT="] to backup first-year starter [/FONT]Jordan Love[FONT="] in 2023 after a team workout on Tuesday, July 18, according to [/FONT]Bill Huber of FanNation’s Packer Central.
    Well to compete for a backup position anyway. Either they don't like what they've seen from Clifford, or they think he's an upgrade from Etling for the practice squad QB spot.

This probably means they won't play Love in the preseason much, if at all.

or they just need a practice arm to take up some of the throws in drills
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Looks like they Jets will be releasing D Mims, could that be our Vet signing

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    Looks like they Jets will be releasing D Mims, could that be our Vet signing
    Not sure they're really looking for a WR, after drafting 6 the last 2 years. He does have the kind of size/speed Packers look for. After a decent rookie season in 2020, hasn't done much though.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen