Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season 2023 Banjo

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Obviously, I liked the contract when it was done, and obviously I still like it now. Why? Because it keeps Rodgers in Green Bay. Of course, the haters and shitheads would rather have Rodgers gone - apparently willing to settle for the mediocrity that would bring. Fortunately, the powers that be wanted to keep Rodgers on the team, and I suspect they are not stupidly regretting the contract like some dumbasses in here.

It's probably true that Rodgers doesn't want to retire the same year as Brady. It's also probably more likely to be true he doesn't want to retire before Brady. It may even be true that he wants to play to at least the same age Brady is when he retires. Or then again, maybe he doesn't give a shit one way or the other about Brady. Unlike several shitheads in here who think they know what's in rodgers' mind or that of LaFleur or Gutekunst or whoever, I don't pretend to know that the guy is thinking beyond what I hear him say directly - usually on McAfee's show. I sure as hell hope he doesn't retire anytime soon and he stays with the Packers 'til the end because the alternative is long term mediocrity - which some dumbasses seem to either want or seem to be oblivious about.
    We are already at long term mediocrity..

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    It wasn't Gutes. Murphy is the brainchild behind this whole train wreck. Gutes wanted/wants to give Love a shot. Murphy was pissing himself thinking about the bad pub he'd get during phase II of the TitleTown district development.
    Sparkey, this is interesting. Do you have any evidence for this? I'm curious as to what Gutes really wanted to do.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Tex, I want to know if I'm a shit head or just a hater.

Rodgers is one of the greatest ever play the game. With the same team and coaching staff, would rather have Rodgers than Brady. That being said, he's not playing remotely close to his contract and that is hurting the Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Tex, I want to know if I'm a shit head or just a hater.

Rodgers is one of the greatest ever play the game. With the same team and coaching staff, would rather have Rodgers than Brady. That being said, he's not playing remotely close to his contract and that is hurting the Packers.
    I'm both I think. You have to work hard to get in my rarified air.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    But those aren't realistic things Bobblehead. Why would Aaron take 25M in 2023 in the hypothetical above? The going rate for a top QB is ~50M.
    That would have been to get us to trade Love. If we would trade the future he would need to give something back and an extra year at $25 million when he would have turned 41 during that season would have been fair. We also would have gauranteed the 2022 and 2023 season if he showed up. Bottom line, he was under contract and at the time he had 2 options. Report or sit (or start negotiating). They gave him something for nothing (cutting a year off the current contract). Thats just bad negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    They didn't think JLo was the guy when they wrote that contract, or they wouldn't have done it. Earned or not (it obviously was).

The question is do they still think that. I think the bigger question is Brady retiring this year. If he is, then Rodgers returns to the NFL. If not, maybe Rodgers views this as a good time to walk away.
    This is just silly. When they did it Rodgers had just won the MVP award. What they thought was that they had a super bowl roster and wanted the league MVP at QB instead of Love. That says almost zero about what they thought about Love at the time.

Edit: and everyone has one thing wrong. He got his contract to start 2021 after he won ONE MVP. He then won it again AFTER he signed the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    This is just silly. When they did it Rodgers had just won the MVP award. What they thought was that they had a super bowl roster and wanted the league MVP at QB instead of Love. That says almost zero about what they thought about Love at the time.

Edit: and everyone has one thing wrong. He got his contract to start 2021 after he won ONE MVP. He then won it again AFTER he signed the deal.
    I disagree, if they thought he was the bees knees they would have moved on. See Packers 2008 where Favre was MVP runner up.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

He signed the current contract March of 2022 after winning his 2nd straight MVP. He had one year left on his old contract when he signed it. I think they had an agreement in 2021 that they would talk contract after the 2021 season.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Woody Johnson, the Jets owner reportedly willing to pay for a veteran QB. https://twitter.com/i/status/1613617243396444160

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.

hahahaha I'm not naming names. Their words betray them.

Seriously, ya'all don't think Rodgers will bounce back? You seriously don't think LaFleur, Gutekunst, etc. think Rodgers will be back on top next season? Or do ya'all think you know better than them?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Seriously, ya'all don't think Rodgers will bounce back? You seriously don't think LaFleur, Gutekunst, etc. think Rodgers will be back on top next season? Or do ya'all think you know better than them?
    I think if Rodgers wants to play next year, GB will play him. I think they are more likely to trade Jordan Love than Aaron Rodgers (contract is easier to move, and he's younger).
    I do NOT think Rodgers will bounce back to elite level of play, but I do think he can play better than he did this year. He has to put in some work to play better though.

After next season I think he's probably done.
    Every year the cold feels colder, the grind gets tougher, the players get younger and faster and hit harder. His body language speaks volumes.

I would be stunned if they traded Rodgers. If NYJ want to hand over a couple of R1 picks I'm sure Gute would listen.

He might improve some, but I believe he's lost the chip on his shoulder that really made him great. No matter how poorly he plays, I suspect you'll say it's not that bad, not his fault, or both.

Let me put it this way so it's more objective. I don't think he'll be top ten in passer rating or similar metrics. I think top ten is his realistic ceiling and the floor is much lower.

I hope I'm wrong. I am not against Rodgers doing well, I just call it like I see it.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Rodgers was 11th in the league in passing yards, 7th in TDs, 7th in INTs, and 17th passer rating for QBs with at least 100 attempts.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Woody Johnson, the Jets owner reportedly willing to pay for a veteran QB. https://twitter.com/i/status/1613617243396444160

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
    Oh Dear God, please, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    We are already at long term mediocrity..
    Ayuh.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Rodgers was 11th in the league in passing yards, 7th in TDs, 7th in INTs, and 17th passer rating for QBs with at least 100 attempts.
    20th in completion percentage, 20th in ANY/A, and 24th in Y/A, 27th in ESPN's stupid QBR.
    Jared Goff had a better year than Rodgers, and not by some small margin.

He's still got talent and can make throws, but he can't make them as often (or consistently) as he used to. He's got to change his play style from the gunslinger to the facilitator (not a game manager). Gute has to give him some weapons and just let them do the work. Rodgers' best game this year was vs. Dallas, he only needed to throw 20 passes. I don't believe that was a coincidence.

Giving Rodgers more weapons is made harder by his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    20th in completion percentage, 20th in ANY/A, and 24th in Y/A, 27th in ESPN's stupid QBR.
    Jared Goff had a better year than Rodgers, and not by some small margin.

He's still got talent and can make throws, but he can't make them as often (or consistently) as he used to. He's got to change his play style from the gunslinger to the facilitator (not a game manager). Gute has to give him some weapons and just let them do the work. Rodgers' best game this year was vs. Dallas, he only needed to throw 20 passes. I don't believe that was a coincidence.
    So Packers are paying 50 million a year to a game manager. That's the problem. A great quarterback will elevate the performance of his receivers. The Packers need receivers to elevate the quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    He might improve some, but I believe he's lost the chip on his shoulder that really made him great. No matter how poorly he plays, I suspect you'll say it's not that bad, not his fault, or both.

Let me put it this way so it's more objective. I don't think he'll be top ten in passer rating or similar metrics. I think top ten is his realistic ceiling and the floor is much lower.

I hope I'm wrong. I am not against Rodgers doing well, I just call it like I see it.
    hahahahahaha If he ever read the shit in here, that chip would come back in a hurry.

A generally good post, runpMc - at least in comparison to most of the hater crap from some in here.

I guess it doesn't occur to any of those dumbasses that a large part of the reason for Rodgers' worse stats was a better run game? or lower quality and/or less experienced receivers? I bet some of ya'all haters were the same shitheads who used to whine that Rodgers was a "stat whore" when he was consistently throwing for 300 yards a game and 40+ TDs a season.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I guess it doesn't occur to you that Rodgers is clearly showing signs of decline. It happens to everyone: Manning, Brady, Favre, Marino, and yes even Aaron Rodgers.
    You can point to receivers, line, etc., but he's transcended that in the past; why can't he now?

3rd and goal at the 3.5 yard line against the Lions. Rodgers runs out of the pocket to his right and towards the line of scrimmage. In past years he'd have run for it or given a pump fake and tried to run it in. If he'd done that he'd have gotten it close the goal line and made it an easier 4th and goal. Instead he throws an off target pass in Dillon's direction.

There are tons of examples like this. His skills have diminished.

Lower quality receivers? You called Watson & Doubs a
    net positive in the short term
    and
    Watson should end up with at least as good a year as Adams had last year and much better than Adams will have this year with the Raiders.
    OL was a little shaky, but his pressured rate was actually lower this year than last by quite a bit (and below league average).
    Having Bahk & Jenkins hit their groove in the second half of the season helped that.

I would love to see Rodgers throw 24-28 times a game for 280-320 yards and 2-3TDs. I just don't know that he can anymore. Blaming the stats on the run game is a little questionable; there were games where MLF seemed to ignore Aaron Jones and give him 8 carries. Rodgers had 542 attempts this year, or ~31.9 per game compared to 33.2 and 32.9 in 2022 and 2021 respectively, so he's not throwing much less on average. And yet his yards/game is way down. So you have a QB who is throwing for less yardage on almost the same # of attempts despite getting less pressure.