Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season 2023 Banjo

The only options that seem possible are:

Rodgers plays and counts $31M towards this year's cap and you have a somewhat similar situation the following year.

Rodgers retires and they resign him to split the cap hit over the next two seasons at around $16M this year and $25M next year.

Trade Rodgers after June 1sr and take basically the same cap hit as the retirement option.

None of the options are particularly good unless Rodgers plays for the Packers and has a great bounce back year. I think that's the best option to hope for, but it's risky long term because you won't have much ammunition to rebuild and potentially lose Love.

For all those people who always beat the drum about win now while we have a window with Rodgers, that's exactly what they did in terms of cap. It didn't work and now it's coming due.

The only thing Gute would be begging for at this point is a way out of this mess…but begging won’t help that.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

That's just stupid. Ya'all seriously think the Packers would be better off without Rodgers? And even more ridiculous, you seriously think Gutekunst, LaFleur, etc. have that idiotic mentality? They signed Rodgers with eyes wide open. I strongly suspect they are still glad they did. And undoubtedly that will be vindicated in the next year or two or more. Ideally, all of them and Rodgers too would be reading the shamefully stupid crap some in here are posting, but I doubt it.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

What's stupid, Tex? Are you referring to my post?

Among others

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    That's just stupid. Ya'all seriously think the Packers would be better off without Rodgers? And even more ridiculous, you seriously think Gutekunst, LaFleur, etc. have that idiotic mentality? They signed Rodgers with eyes wide open. I strongly suspect they are still glad they did. And undoubtedly that will be vindicated in the next year or two or more. Ideally, all of them and Rodgers too would be reading the shamefully stupid crap some in here are posting, but I doubt it.
    I think they think Rodgers gives them the best chance to win, but I don't think they are glad they did that crazy extension. Rodgers is on the decline and he can't carry a team like he did in the McCarthy era.
    My guess is Rodgers comes back, and that's fine. I still think he's a good QB, just not elite. They'll need to figure out what to do with Jordan Love though.

I suppose they could try to move Rodgers in a trade before exercising the $59M bonus, start Love and if he bombs you move on the following year with a high R1 pick to use on a QB and start your rebuild with cap space and Watson/Doubs etc. entering their Year 3.
    It might be a better long term solution vs. running Rodgers and the usual suspects back for another year. After an 8-9 season with that group it's hard to be optimistic they will bounce back with Detroit positioned to threaten Minnesota as division champ and Chicago having a ton of cap space. Things change fast and each season is different so I guess anything could happen.

I'm not sure Murphy, Gute and MLF have the stones for a potentially messy breakup with Rodgers (and some angry fans) to pull a trade unless Rodgers requests one.

Rodgers can't carry a team anymore. If he's back in 2023, he could be somewhat better for 2 reasons. Presumably the thumb will be healed. The rookie wide receivers won't be rookies anymore. But in the 4th quarter of an elimination game, he'll come up short because he tries to do too much. It's happened 3 years in a row. I think he's past being able to change.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Among others
    My post is primarily factual with a conclusion that the best outcome is keeping Rodgers and hopefully he has a bounce back year.

It seems like you're disagreeing just to be a dick at this point.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Well, sorry if the labels don't fit hahahahaha, but just read what some of these imbeciles say - this Thunderdan post and Cumby's above ....... that's about as stupid and shitheadish as you can get. Next year and beyond will tell the story - whether what they say proves to be idiocy either way, success with Rodgers or mediocrity without him. Maybe I'm gonna get proven wrong, but I really don't think so.
    If I am a shithead, then that makes you a dumb shit!!

I answered a simple question, if ARod and Love are going to play at the same level, why would you choose to pay $31.6 million instead of $3.9 million for the same production?

That’s complete stupidity.

The question wasn’t who will play better or who gives the Packers a better chance at winning, but your age addled mind apparently can pick that out anymore because it is blinded by you misguided homerism. Especially this year when we finished 8-9 and missed the playoffs.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Fuck, I have season tickets and own more Packer gear than I care to admit. The corporation I worked for had a 4 tickets in the Champions Club before we split off on our our again. My wife went to Super Bowl XXXII before we ever met.

We love the Packers. But that doesn’t mean you can’t analytically look at the team and see where they need improvement.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    If I am a shithead, then that makes you a dumb shit!!

I answered a simple question, if ARod and Love are going to play at the same level, why would you choose to pay $31.6 million instead of $3.9 million for the same production?

That’s complete stupidity.

The question wasn’t who will play better or who gives the Packers a better chance at winning, but your age addled mind apparently can pick that out anymore because it is blinded by you misguided homerism. Especially this year when we finished 8-9 and missed the playoffs.
    they really need to ban computer use at nursing homes

how can you have discussions with someone who doesn't even know what reality is?

If Arod wants to retire then great. Play Love and draft another QB. If he wants back for another year and you can't trade him then trade love.
    C.H.U.D.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Fuck, I have season tickets and own more Packer gear than I care to admit. The corporation I worked for had a 4 tickets in the Champions Club before we split off on our our again. My wife went to Super Bowl XXXII before we ever met.

We love the Packers. But that doesn’t mean you can’t analytically look at the team and see where they need improvement.
    Damn, you probably can never live up to the big game before you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    they really need to ban computer use at nursing homes

how can you have discussions with someone who doesn't even know what reality is?
    They let you post from the penal colony so not much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    If Arod wants to retire then great. Play Love and draft another QB. If he wants back for another year and you can't trade him then trade love.
    It's all but guaranteed that if they let Love go, he'll make the probowl.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    It's all but guaranteed that if they let Love go, he'll make the probowl.
    Maybe also eliminate the Packers from playoff contention….

I'm with Sharpe. I'm guessing the Packers are going to roll with Rodgers and trade Love.

And just watch. He's going to develop into a promising starting QB, and Rodgers is going to whine his way through another season, offering up excuses like he's getting them from Tex. Then Rodgers will retire, and the Packers will watch Love take the team he's traded to into the Promised Land.

So fuck all ya'all, as they say in Texas. Or at least the ya'alls that want to see them hang on to Rodgers and get rid of Love.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

The idiocy and dumbassery is in thinking that it's unlikely Rodgers will bounce back. It's also idiotic to think that the Packer brass have the same kind of stupidity manifested by some fools in here.

The question mark would be how Love would play if he got the chance. I'd say the range on that would be from a little below average to a little above average for NFL QBs, which probably is where Rodgers was this past season with the injuries to him and the receivers etc. I say again, it's typically stupid for ya'all haters to expect that to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    it comes from people just dividing the money by the years of the contract, ignoring how the cap actually works

you are right that he actually is counting just the 28 million against the cap this year, and not 50 million being thrown around

next season he would count 31 million, which is also less then 50

i brought this up a couple months ago in the big rodgers thread
    The $31M is correct. HOWEVER, if he comes back there's a $59M guaranteed bonus payable between now and the start of training camp. I've heard that if they trade Rodgers this year before the $59M payout, his cap hit is closer to $40M. Cutting him would guarantee the payout, so that's not an option.
    The thing is, if he comes back, plays one more year, then the cap hit is closer to 50M+, but it's because he's been paid the $59M bonus. The timing of that is critical, as is the circumstances of his final season with GB.

With how he played this season (arguably his worst as the starter) you have to wonder what the upside is to keeping him and whether they are a legit SB contender. Based on how he played, I'd say the window has closed and he's not worth the money. They could miss the playoffs with or without Rodgers, question is do to want to save themselves a lot of money and start Jordan Love.

The idiocy and dumbassery is in thinking that it's unlikely Rodgers will bounce back. It's also idiotic to think that the Packer brass have the same kind of stupidity manifested by some fools in here.

The question mark would be how Love would play if he got the chance. I'd say the range on that would be from a little below average to a little above average for NFL QBs, which probably is where Rodgers was this past season with the injuries to him and the receivers etc. I say again, it's typically stupid for ya'all haters to expect that to continue.
    On what basis do you think he will bounce back? He dropped off about 20% from his historical performance this year. As a 40 year old QB, what makes you think he's going to get that 20% back? Not being a hater; I legitimately want you to make a coherent case for keeping Rodgers.
    (Saying "it's better than indefinite mediocrity" is not a case, nor can you actually prove that -- Jordan Love could possibly be a good QB. )