View Poll Results: Who will Rodgers Play For In 2023?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Packers

10 33.33%
  • Raiders

4 13.33%
  • Jets

10 33.33%
  • Panthers

0 0%
  • Titans

2 6.67%
  • Dolphins

0 0%
  • Colts

0 0%
  • Bucs

0 0%
  • Other

2 6.67%
  • He Won't Play

2 6.67%
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Will Aaron Rodgers Play For In 2023 (Or Will He Play)?

The reason Rodgers is in the news is because he chooses to be and goes on Youtube every week and makes himself the headline of the day - arguably the week. Don't kid yourself. Nobody is talking about ARod last week if he doesn't go on McAfee and talk about the dark room.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Last year he signed his extension March 14. Is that really eternity?
    It was enough of one for Adams.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    “Journalists doing their job” is a total cop out. Find a job where you’re not paid to criticize people or dig up their personal lives. They choose that low life profession.
    Then please stop looking at, tweeting, listening or surfing for sports news. The whole reason that journalist or any job exists is because you demand their services.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    hahahahaha Why?
    He's enabling the media pukes you claim to hate. Creating drama that they thrive off and make money from. Creating media storylines that people latch into making it impossible to not hear about.

The alternative is just to let the fans know he's only interested in being a Packer. Instead, he's effectively lying by omission, pretending he might leave.

Asshole.
    Last edited by sharpe1027; 02-13-2023 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I've been wondering why all this talk of trading Rodgers - as in, who really wants that? Gutekunst has spoken twice publicly and both times said the big contract extension was meant for more than just one year with Green Bay. The Flower has also said he wants Rodgers back. And Rodgers has said he'd like to retire a Packer. So what's happening that now a trade is being bandied about?
    I think the Packers front office has to keep up Rodgers' appearance as a tradable asset. That means they can't alienate him and cause him to pout or rage-quit. They have to make Rodgers' return to the Packers look plausible so they're not weighing whose seventh-rounder to take in exchange.

As for Rodgers, he doesn't want to look like the bad guy. So I'd expect him to reply, "If it were up to me, I wouldn't want to rock the boat. I just wish I could stay here and have all my best friends and nobody ever doubting me."
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Then please stop looking at, tweeting, listening or surfing for sports news. The whole reason that journalist or any job exists is because you demand their services.
    Yup. Without journalists and sports media, you would be hearing and learning NOTHING about what was going on.
    People want to complain about journalists, but maybe the people they are reporting about need to stop being idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
    I think the Packers front office has to keep up Rodgers' appearance as a tradable asset. That means they can't alienate him and cause him to pout or rage-quit. They have to make Rodgers' return to the Packers look plausible so they're not weighing whose seventh-rounder to take in exchange.

As for Rodgers, he doesn't want to look like the bad guy. So I'd expect him to reply, "If it were up to me, I wouldn't want to rock the boat. I just wish I could stay here and have all my best friends and nobody ever doubting me."
    I think that's all true, but I don't think it quite answers my original question: so does anybody really want a trade? If so, who is it and for what reason or reasons? Is it Rodgers? The Packers? Both? Neither?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I think the Packers front office wants him gone for financial reasons only, they fear fans backlash and all of this is just testing out reactions. I have yet to see many fans saying he should stay outside of Tex, so I think it ultimately happens. I just pray we get a 1st back and it is not tied to Rodgers playing out the contract.

I think that's all true, but I don't think it quite answers my original question: so does anybody really want a trade? If so, who is it and for what reason or reasons? Is it Rodgers? The Packers? Both? Neither?
    I think the Packers would like a trade, but don't want it to look like they ran Rodgers out of town. They want it to look like it was his idea. Who knows what Rodgers wants? My guess is he is leaning in a certain direction, but is still open to a change of mind. And so we wait a little bit as he emerges from the darkness into a great light. I think Isaiah wrote something like that.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    I think the Packers front office wants him gone for financial reasons only, they fear fans backlash and all of this is just testing out reactions. I have yet to see many fans saying he should stay outside of Tex, so I think it ultimately happens. I just pray we get a 1st back and it is not tied to Rodgers playing out the contract.
    I think you way over estimate what the front office thinks of our reaction as fans. I think they know what they want to do, but are playing poker with 31 other GMs and ARod. You and I factor into that consideration about as much as most of us matter to anyone outside our immediate circles.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    He's enabling the media pukes you claim to hate. Creating drama that they thrive off and make money from. Creating media storylines that people latch into making it impossible to not hear about.

The alternative is just to let the fans know he's only interested in being a Packer. Instead, he's effectively lying by omission, pretending he might leave.

Asshole.
    I think he is just a guy living his life. All the people who are saying "asshole" are doing so because they simply want answers RIGHT NOW and he needs a minute to rap his head around what happens next. I haven't worked in a long time, but recently was made an offer that is tough to refuse. When I said "give me a week" I wasn't being dramatic or being an asshole, I seriously need some time to decide what is in my best interest. Could it be that simple for ARod?
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I think this is the front office changing course after going all-in to Rodgers' requests (as opposed to going all-in to win a Super Bowl) and seeing what it got them. Shorten his contract, hire some veteran favorites, never publicly disparage him or reply to his passive-aggressive shots, throw in extra millions to massage his feelings going back to not getting a power D-1 offer out of high school. And they saw what that ceiling was.

It's an enviable ceiling, but the PR hits, the physical wear to Rodgers, and his reversion to bad habits maybe makes them rethink whether it's worth the salary-cap hit and the burning of Jordan Love's R1 pick. Maybe they think the organization's reputation won't take as much of hit if they trade Rodgers and start Love, compared to that scenario last year.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I think he is just a guy living his life. All the people who are saying "asshole" are doing so because they simply want answers RIGHT NOW and he needs a minute to rap his head around what happens next. I haven't worked in a long time, but recently was made an offer that is tough to refuse. When I said "give me a week" I wasn't being dramatic or being an asshole, I seriously need some time to decide what is in my best interest. Could it be that simple for ARod?
    Yes. People have selfish and immature traits. They go through life telling themselves they’re virtuous and grown and selfless. But when it comes to judging another person, they instantly revert to projecting those selfish traits they have themselves onto other people.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    “Journalists doing their job” is a total cop out. Find a job where you’re not paid to criticize people or dig up their personal lives. They choose that low life profession.
    EXACTLY!
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I think he's more of a weirdo than an asshole, but none of that has to do with not making a decision on retirement/next season. They can't trade him until Mar 15 and he'll decide if he's retiring before then.
    I'll read up on some of the college kids for combine etc. in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    This is literally what sports media does, they get paid by getting your attention, your clicks, etc.
    The NFL encourages it, and Rodgers himself encourages it by playing coy.

You're basically calling the media assholes and pukes for doing their jobs. It doesn't mean they are wrong.
    Clearly they are supplying a need if they continue to get clicks.
    I can think of very few jobs where people get called a puke and asshole for doing it, and sports media personality or journalist aren't at the top of that list.
    I suppose it depends on the type. Skip Bayless is an asshole. I don't think Tom Silverstein is though.

Rodgers may seem to be a mellow-Californian, but he's a Northern Californian. There's a difference. And I think it's an act -- he plays a LOT of games with the media and is extremely manipulative. If he wanted to put a stop to any of this he'd make more definitive statements. He likes the attention, he likes stringing things along, and he especially likes to zig when everyone is kept in the dark and expects him to zag, only to call them out as doubters and know-nothings later. I don't feel sorry for him, I think he brings it on himself, and I also think he's ok with that.

A FHOF QB who might be traded or retire is going to get a lot of stories run. Nothing to do until an announcement is made.
    Some acorns of truth in there.

Are you from California? I'm not. My impression, though, was that most of the mellowness was from up there in the San Fran/Silicon Valley area. As for Rodgers playing games and manipuiating them, yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying too. Did I say he wanted the bastards to quit their shit? I don't think so. Are there actually some good media pukes? I suppose if you dig deep enough you can find some. Clicks and attention? Not mine ...... well, seldom anyway. How would we survive without them? Well, maybe a little more stress-free, although admittedly, stress doesn't much bother me. Any news that really needs to be put out, though, generally comes right from the horses' mouths rather than the asses' asses. In other words, we can do without the stupid speculation.

I say again, RG got it right about the profession of media puke.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    You missed the genesis of this. Tex said Rodgers knows he wants to come back and is just playing with us all.

I said "if true" he's being an asshole.

Any news that really needs to be put out, though, generally comes right from the horses' mouths rather than the asses' asses. In other words, we can do without the stupid speculation.
    Then you must know very little about Rodgers, since he tweets about once per month. Everything else that comes from him is via sports media or journalism.
    Yes, McAfee is sports media.

If you don't use media, you would not know about the MSU shooting today, or the war in Ukraine, or many many many other things happening in your city, state, country and world. That would make you very much insulated from and ignorant of almost everything around you. Please don't hate on journalism and media -- a free press is valuable for many reasons. I strongly suggest you reconsider your attitude and look at specific media individuals vs. an overgeneralization of media. (Hence my comparison of Bayless and Silverstein)

I'm not sure if McAfee qualifies as "sports media". Regardless, though, it's not what comes from his mouth, it's what Rodgers himself says on the show that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'm not sure if McAfee qualifies as "sports media". Regardless, though, it's not what comes from his mouth, it's what Rodgers himself says on the show that counts.
    He is more like Rodger's fluffer.