Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Official Free Agency/Offseason Thread

I actually liked what I saw of Okudah his last year at OSU. Thought he was a good prospect coming out. I still think he could be good in the right system.
    Detroit has until recently been such a dysfunctional place that a change of scenery will probably do him good.

The previous GM and Matt Patricia were... not good. I think Flores might be the only Belichick coach to do much good after NE. Josh McDaniels is a good OC, but I don't know that he has what it takes to be a HC. Rich Bissacia took that LV team to the playoffs as interim HC after the Gruden mess, and they took a big step back under McDaniels.

People complain about Gute and his drafts, and he's definitely made some mistakes, but if you look around the rest of the NFCN you see the other teams haven't done better with what they've had to work with.

Lots of guys still lingering out there, including Cobb and Lewis, I think.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

They'll sign post-draft, or post-Rodgers trade.
    As veteran guys to help rookies/young players they'd be great adds, but I wouldn't play them much. There's not much juice left in either player.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    They'll sign post-draft, or post-Rodgers trade.
    As veteran guys to help rookies/young players they'd be great adds, but I wouldn't play them much. There's not much juice left in either player.
    They would both have some value - Lewis as blocker and mentor if they draft an athletic tight end who does not know how to block - and Cobb as a third-down safety valve and someone to teach the young WR's how to be a pro.

But is that worth two roster spots? Heck, I don't know.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    They would both have some value - Lewis as blocker and mentor if they draft an athletic tight end who does not know how to block - and Cobb as a third-down safety valve and someone to teach the young WR's how to be a pro.

But is that worth two roster spots? Heck, I don't know.
    No

So Harvey, at the top of the draft, who are we hoping for at 15 as a perfect fit?
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Cobb wad a good safety valve.for Rodgers, but he won't be as useful for Love, with them running the MLF offense, instead of the Rodgers offense. The vet mentoring has some value, but not at the expense of better talent.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I agree you don't want to sign Cobb over drafting a WR with upside, but if they can keep a roster spot for Johnathon Ford (who didn't play a single snap) and all these special teams safeties, they could find a spot for a veteran who can help the young guys for one more year and potentially be a deep bench backup for fair catching punts and being an outlet on 3rd and 4.

(EDIT: I can't believe I'm making an argument for keeping Cobb. I'm fine if they don't.)

Cobb may not have value because JLove is now the QB, I'm not sure. If they draft 2 WRs I don't think they'd try to bring him back. I don't think Gute wants him back anyway, he probably has the Rodgers stank on him.
    They'll probably go after another Sammy Watkins type and release them mid-season. It's entirely possible the one year Cobb, Watkins and Lazard had with the rookies was enough to point them in the right direction for this year, although it's early in their careers to be the old guys in the WR room.

My guess is they do something like Mingo and/or Wicks in R4-5 and just hope there's good coaching to bring the whole bunch along.

There's a reason Cobb is still available. He wasn't getting open last year. Without Rodgers targeting him, I suspect they can get as much out of undrafted FA at this point.

Blog Entries
    along with Cobb we can bring back Geronimo Allison and Ruvell Martin. They are all about the same to me
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    So Harvey, at the top of the draft, who are we hoping for at 15 as a perfect fit?

The OSU WR or the Iowa Edge would be really nice fits
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Cobb wad a good safety valve.for Rodgers, but he won't be as useful for Love, with them running the MLF offense, instead of the Rodgers offense. The vet mentoring has some value, but not at the expense of better talent.

I've argued occasionally that a player like Mercedes Lewis could be a good signing for his leadership and mentoring. But then it occurs to me - isn't that what the coaches are for? And so many of these coaches are former players, anyway.

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    [/B]

I've argued occasionally that a player like Mercedes Lewis could be a good signing for his leadership and mentoring. But then it occurs to me - isn't that what the coaches are for? And so many of these coaches are former players, anyway.

I don't want "2" roster spots used up by Joey and Mercedes.

The Philadelphia Eagles and quarterback Jalen Hurts have reached agreement on a five-year, $255 million extension, including $179.304 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.

Hurts' deal is the biggest total contract in NFL history, besting Deshaun Watson's $230 million contract signed last year with the Cleveland Browns. Watson's contract, however, is fully guaranteed.

Hurts extension includes a no-trade clause -- a first in Eagles history, a source told Schefter.
    A lot of money. But the fact this is not fully guaranteed is not good news for Lamar Jackson.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    They should almost certainly go BPA since it will be a CB, EDGE or OL. Given the makeup of the top 15 players in this draft its doubtful it would be any other position. Any of those 3 help the roster. There is no such thing as too many pass rushers or shut down corners. And an OL can't be "too strong".

Then in the 2nd round grab 2 TEs.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    They should almost certainly go BPA since it will be a CB, EDGE or OL. Given the makeup of the top 15 players in this draft its doubtful it would be any other position. Any of those 3 help the roster. There is no such thing as too many pass rushers or shut down corners. And an OL can't be "too strong".

Agree. BPA and it's probably OL, EDGE or CB. I really don't know how they manage that secondary, maybe Barry can deploy 4 CB defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    A lot of money. But the fact this is not fully guaranteed is not good news for Lamar Jackson.
    Yeah, 5 years $255M is a lot of money for Hurts. I think he's good and I actually liked him over JLove that draft year, but I don't think he's that good. QB market is crazy though... even middling ones are expensive.
    Anyway, good for Philly, they have a QB signed long term.
    As for Lamar, dude needs to suck it up and realize he's not getting a fully guaranteed contract. Not with his play-style/injury history.

Players who negotiate without an agent can often end up with hard feelings towards the team. I think Rashan Gary is this way?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

I assume you're assuming the Jets trade goes through?

I suppose you are right in your analysis, but if they take a corner, I'll be unhappy now - then probably glad they did it in two years.

I don't know what to make of Stokes. He was so, so promising his first year, and then his second year was not very good at all - and then he sustained a serious injury. So I have no idea what to expect. I wonder what happened to him in that second year? He just wasn't nearly as good.

KYPack

Five players suspended, including four from Detroit. https://www.reuters.com/sports/nfl/f...cy-2023-04-21/
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    yeah, great safety valve. paid him 8.4 million over the last 2 years to catch 28 and 34 passes. and just 1 TD last year when when he was the only real vet with lizard and a bunch of rookies. and he still couldn't get targets

and don't forget he's the one the spilled the beans about eric calling audibles to the rookies that he hasn't used in a decade and then bitching at them for somehow not knowing them. maybe that why he didn't get many looks?