Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Official Free Agency/Offseason Thread

For the cap cooking crowd: after the Rodgers trade, GB will have $57.1M in dead money. Per OTC:

Dead Money
    Name Cap Number
    Aaron Rodgers $40,313,570
    Adrian Amos $7,950,000
    Dean Lowry $3,007,875
    Jarran Reed $1,492,000
    Randall Cobb $1,391,668
    Marcedes Lewis $1,050,000
    Mason Crosby $1,005,000
    Robert Tonyan $500,000
    Amari Rodgers $461,782
    TOTAL $57,143,579

The Base Salary Cap is $224,800,000

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    For the cap cooking crowd: after the Rodgers trade, GB will have $57.1M in dead money. Per OTC:

Dead Money
    Name Cap Number
    Adrian Amos $7,950,000
    Dean Lowry $3,007,875
    Jarran Reed $1,492,000
    Randall Cobb $1,391,668
    Mason Crosby $1,005,000
    Robert Tonyan $500,000
    Amari Rodgers $461,782
    TOTAL $57,143,579

nm
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Dead Money
    Name Cap Number
    Adrian Amos $7,950,000
    Dean Lowry $3,007,875
    Jarran Reed $1,492,000
    Randall Cobb $1,391,668
    Mason Crosby $1,005,000
    Robert Tonyan $500,000
    Amari Rodgers $461,782
    TOTAL $57,143,579

You can always cook the cap.

Packers are gonna have so much damn cap space next year OMG. Big shopping spree for that dude.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Packers are gonna have so much damn cap space next year OMG. Big shopping spree for that dude.
    Aaron Jones and David Bahktiari have big cap numbers next year because of all the restructuring. My guess is they will trade/release Bahktiari and gain cap relief, but lose a very good LT. I think they'll keep Jones.
    They also need to sign Gary to a long term contract, and 5th year option Jordan Love.

They will definitely have cap space to operate, but I wouldn't expect a big spending spree. It only looks like they have more cap space than they actually will.
    Last edited by run pMc; 04-26-2023 at 08:03 AM.

Aaron Jones and David Bahktiari have big cap numbers next year because of all the restructuring. My guess is they will trade/release Bahktiari and gain cap relief, but lose a very good LT. I think they'll keep Jones.
    They also need to sign Gary to a long term contract, and 5th year option Jordan Love.

They will definitely have cap space to operate, but I wouldn't expect a big spending spree. It only looks like they have more cap space than they actually will.
    Yeah. They’re back in a decent spot. Within a year or two the cap will be completely back to healthy. It’s nice to have that flexibility to make a financial run of pushing things ahead. They kind of exhausted that the last three years and need to start over.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Lamar got 260 with 185 guaranteed. Hurts got 255 with 180 guaranteed. I don’t think Lamar got a great deal. I feel like he’s worth more than Hurts. But I guess Hurts is a little more accurate.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Lamar got 260 with 185 guaranteed. Hurts got 255 with 180 guaranteed. I don’t think Lamar got a great deal. I feel like he’s worth more than Hurts. But I guess Hurts is a little more accurate.
    i don't think it matters who is better. the next guy up is gonna get a touch more money then the last. as long as you're a top 10 QB

I read that Rasul Douglas just hinted in a Tweet that the Packers may be bringing back Adrian Amos. Good news if true, IMO.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

My god, I agree with Tex about something. I think a back end of Darnell "Whiff" Savage and a bunch of late-round picks, UDFA's, and the free agent they signed for ST is not going to cut it. You're not even using a talented young guy who can use the year to learn. You're just throwing bodies out there. Bring Amos back, see if any of the chaff has the potential to become wheat, and look for a safety in the next draft.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Packers have not issued uniform numbers 2, 31 and 89 to any of the rookies. Mason Crosby, Adrian Amos and Marcedes Lewis. So there's a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    My god, I agree with Tex about something. I think a back end of Darnell "Whiff" Savage and a bunch of late-round picks, UDFA's, and the free agent they signed for ST is not going to cut it. You're not even using a talented young guy who can use the year to learn. You're just throwing bodies out there. Bring Amos back, see if any of the chaff has the potential to become wheat, and look for a safety in the next draft.
    Packers also have Tarvarius Moore, who they signed in March. He started 8 games for 49ers in 2020. He was hurt in 2021 and played mostly special teams in 2022.

Crazy how if they bring back Amos, they still have his dead cap number plus whatever they sign him for.

That's the nature of shifting cap into dead years.

I saw Jones to Baltimore and Bacteria to Chiefs as rumors. Would love to see that - if you’re gonna rebuild - cut the capfat, stock the picks and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    I saw Jones to Baltimore and Bacteria to Chiefs as rumors. Would love to see that - if you’re gonna rebuild - cut the capfat, stock the picks and hope for the best.
    I don't know that the front office or coaches view is a rebuild, only inevitable change. Nothing helps a young QB like blind side protection and a good running game. Would hate to them trade either this year, especially Jones. I think they might surprise teams with the weaker schedule and go 9 and 8 or even possibly 10 and 7. That might be enough to make the playoffs in a weaker NFC too.
    60% of the time it works every time.

Basically, they don't need a rebuild. They have successfully rebuilt on the fly pretty much all over the roster. Now all they need is a QB. If it was still Rodgers, the Packers would be the best in the league. With Love, who knows. Some people, especially some of the team's decision makers, think Love is the man. I'm doubtful of that, but I say lets give him a chance and not make stupid trades - tearing down to rebuild is ALWAYS stupid.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Basically, they don't need a rebuild. They have successfully rebuilt on the fly pretty much all over the roster. Now all they need is a QB. If it was still Rodgers, the Packers would be the best in the league. With Love, who knows. Some people, especially some of the team's decision makers, think Love is the man. I'm doubtful of that, but I say lets give him a chance and not make stupid trades - tearing down to rebuild is ALWAYS stupid.
    I agree they have rebuilt on the fly. This team is loaded with potential. The receivers and especially the TE's need a bit more experience, but it looks like the talent is there. I think Love will be a good to very good QB in this system. If he gets better touch on the deep passes, he can be great. In the NFL tearing down and rebuilding rarely makes sense. It works in baseball because of lack of a cap and the existence of the minor leagues. There are too many players needed, and the draft is too much of a crap shoot to really make a full rebuild work.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I agree they have rebuilt on the fly. This team is loaded with potential. The receivers and especially the TE's need a bit more experience, but it looks like the talent is there. I think Love will be a good to very good QB in this system. If he gets better touch on the deep passes, he can be great. In the NFL tearing down and rebuilding rarely makes sense. It works in baseball because of lack of a cap and the existence of the minor leagues. There are too many players needed, and the draft is too much of a crap shoot to really make a full rebuild work.
    Arguably, they did the NFL version of a rebuild, which as you said isn't the same as other sports. They traded or let go in free agency former contributors and loaded up on a lot of draft picks in the process.

Interesting article on relative intelligence of fan bases

https://sports.yahoo.com/packers-fan...144753738.html