Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Free Agency/Offseason Thread

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    And we have the following players to resign or replace:
    Amos, Cobb, Lowry, Crosby, Lazard, Tonyan, Reed, Lewis, Leavitt, J Ford, Wilson, Nixon, Barnes and Nijman.

That's at least 4 starters, our K and the swing 3rd T.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers have restructured the contracts of Preston Smith and Jaire Alexander, saving about 16 million on the cap in 2023. According to Spotrac, this gets them about 6 million under the cap.
    Now if we can get rid of both Rodgers and Bakh, we’ll be well on our way to reshaping the team.

The media pukes which so many of ya'all adore are now saying that the Packers are NOT gonna be in rebuilding mode this year hahahahaha. All I can say about that is DUH!!!
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The media pukes which so many of ya'all adore are now saying that the Packers are NOT gonna be in rebuilding mode this year hahahahaha. All I can say about that is DUH!!!
    What are you talking about? It was always common knowledge Packers would restructure contracts this year to stay competitive. There will probably be a couple more.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    What are you talking about? It was always common knowledge Packers would restructure contracts this year to stay competitive. There will probably be a couple more.
    Exactly, that amount of restructuring is just enough to sign our draft picks. Still have to sign a bunch of guys to be starters with not much cap space to do it. So, we are going to have to clear more space to sign average FAs or start a bunch of rookies.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Packers have restructured the contracts of Preston Smith and Jaire Alexander, saving about 16 million on the cap in 2023. According to Spotrac, this gets them about 6 million under the cap.
    added void year to each. not a fan of that but hopefully by then it won't bite them. Also sounds like they are working on restructures for Bakhtiari and either a restructure or extension for Clark. I'd try to extend him if possible, he's got 2 years left on his current contract I think, and probably has 3-4 good years left in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    They were over the cap by a significant amount (~$20M) before reworking Jaire, Preston, and Aaron Jones. They HAD to do something by Mar 15 to get under the cap.
    I would think they might look at extending Gary with some of that space. They'll also need several million to sign draft picks, and then a few million beyond that for mid-season signings and IR settlements.
    It's not like they have tons of space to go on a FA spending spree... this is basically to get under the cap. It does mean they are about out of contracts they can rework this year.

It's NOT the restructuring that is a surprise. Anybody with a lick of sense knew the Packer would be manipulating the cap like that. What's surprising is those media shitheads - always so late to the game - finally coming to the conclusion that the Packers are in it to win it next season, same as always - DUH. How many idiotic articles have there been as well as stupid lines in here about "reshaping the team" and similar crap?

Ya'all worry worts who get in such a tizzy about the salary cap need to do some thinking for yourself instead of following your favorite media puke, mostly from out of town who don't know or care about the Packers and in fact wish ill for the team they are supposed to be covering.

As I have said many times, there are few things more stupid and disgusting in sports than a team you like "rebuilding" - tearing down/having a "boom or bust" mentality. Thankfully, the Packers don't have and haven't had for a long long time that idiotic mentality, and for us in Wisconsin, thankfully neither have our teams in basketball and baseball.

How many idiotic articles have there been as well as stupid lines in here about "reshaping the team" and similar crap?
    I haven't really read any tbh. I tend to read APC and JSO and don't read stuff like Florio. If you're watching ESPN, most of those personalities know nothing with the exception of a few who are actually reporting stories, not stating their own opinions.
    There's a difference between an opinion/editorial and an actual new story. McGinn and his "Packers are disgusted with Rodgers" is at its heart an opinion piece he's based on gut feeling and reading some tea leaves. Rapaport reporting that Jets have inquired about Rodgers is a story.

A roster is going to average something like 30% turnover every year, so "reshaping" or whatever people call it is nonsense.
    As for "rebuilding", I don't think that applies to GB either -- they have a lot of players under contract next season already (if you include the futures contracts etc.) and a number of talented players. Compare with the Bucs, who will be rebuilding with a number of key players becoming FA, Brady's retirement, and their cap space mess.

It's entirely possible Rodgers feels the team would be rebuilding THE OFFENSE if they don't bring back some of "his guys" like Tonyan, Lewis, Cobb, Lazard, Crosby (he also named Bakhtiari), but that's not a full rebuild. That's a list of mostly aging players who any GM would probably look to replace based on their age, contracts, and performance last year. Even on offense, they still have a solid OL and Jones/Dillon, plus a pair of young WRs who might get better as soon as next season.

I'm not sure what you're reading or listening to, but I stay away from the national media -- they often can't even get the names of players right. The JSO reporters and even press credentialed guys like Andy Herman are much more plugged in to what's going on and will give you a more sane perspective on what's happening.

Blog Entries
    I don't hear anybody noting GB is going to rebuild.

Whether we end up with the Lova Machine or Karen as our QB's we're not looking to rebuid.

And ditching low level low upside older guys like Randall Cobb and Mercedes Lewis for younger talent who can improve a lot is NOT rebuilding, as some would like to us believe.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Maybe the team has already been “built” with a nice young core and we just need a fucking QB that will actually run the system the HC wants him to run, and not just do his own thing

There is a chance we have a better record next season if/when love is under center and everyone is on the same page as to what they should be doing

The last couple of years the packers pushed so much into this year that even after they clear all the space it’ll still barely get them back to even. When you get to the point where the can was already kicked, the advantage goes away.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I don't hear anybody noting GB is going to rebuild.

Whether we end up with the Lova Machine or Karen as our QB's we're not looking to rebuid.

And ditching low level low upside older guys like Randall Cobb and Mercedes Lewis for younger talent who can improve a lot is NOT rebuilding, as some would like to us believe.
    Eh, I 100% think they're rebuilding if they go to Love, but they still need to get under the cap this year and field a team. Restructures to me don't suggest anything one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Eh, I 100% think they're rebuilding if they go to Love, but they still need to get under the cap this year and field a team. Restructures to me don't suggest anything one way or another.
    Teams that are rebuilding don't restructure contracts for guys like Aaron Jones and Preston Smith. They do what the Bears did last year and trade or release veteran players with big contracts to get draft picks and create cap room now and for the future.

I don't think so. I think if they go to Jordan Love at QB they will do everything they can to surround him with enough talent to be competitive. I think a young QB benefits from a solid OL, good run game and strong defense. Replacing a QB is not rebuilding.

If they really were rebuilding it might be smartest to rip the bandaid off...that would look closer to tanking this year though. Don't see that happening.
    Doubt they bring back Preston if they are rebuilding.

They're gonna have to pay the piper at some point. It is advantageous to all parties to do it quickly when they move on from the QB so the next guy gets a reloaded roster by year 3 and 4. Interesting philosophical question - did the Packers rebuild after 2007? Man, IDK

They're gonna have to pay the piper at some point. It is advantageous to all parties to do it quickly when they move on from the QB so the next guy gets a reloaded roster by year 3 and 4. Interesting philosophical question - did the Packers rebuild after 2007? Man, IDK
    I think they're going to try to get out of this gradually. Last year they let Z go. This year it will likely be Amos and a few others. Next year might be Bakhtiari. It will likely be years before the Packers are a major player in free agency again, but the aim is to have a soft landing instead of having a fire sale 1 year like the Bears did last year.

I think they're going to try to get out of this gradually. Last year they let Z go. This year it will likely be Amos and a few others. Next year might be Bakhtiari. It will likely be years before the Packers are a major player in free agency again, but the aim is to have a soft landing instead of having a fire sale 1 year like the Bears did last year.
    My concern is that in doing so, you end up with mediocrity or less in Love's first year or two starting, and then when - if - he comes into his own as a QB, you don't have the financial means to take advantage. I wonder if they'd be better off doing what the Bears did, letting Love and the team suck for two years while he gets his sea legs, and then try to build more around him as he enters the best years of his career.

But it's all just guessing that I'm doing, so my point of view is only that.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    My concern is that in doing so, you end up with mediocrity or less in Love's first year or two starting, and then when - if - he comes into his own as a QB, you don't have the financial means to take advantage. I wonder if they'd be better off doing what the Bears did, letting Love and the team suck for two years while he gets his sea legs, and then try to build more around him as he enters the best years of his career.

I don't think you want to do what the Bears did. The fact that Fields has so little talent around him makes it difficult to judge how good Fields is. Great athlete, but is he a very good QB?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

That concern might be justified. However, it ain't gonna happen until after the Aaron Rodgers years, and unlike ya'all poor pitiful misguided types who expect that now or no later than a year from now, I fully expect that to be a few years away. But yeah, when he is gone, whether it's Love or somebody else, we can expect a period of mediocrity unless we get lucky and find the next Favre or Rodgers. If not, two mediocre years might be decidedly the low end.

What absolutely isn't gonna happen, though, is that lacking financial means either in actual funds or cap-wise.