Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Free Agency/Offseason Thread

You know, Tex, he probably doesn't have to work until he's 67. I don't think he needs his full social security.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    That concern might be justified. However, it ain't gonna happen until after the Aaron Rodgers years, and unlike ya'all poor pitiful misguided types who expect that now or no later than a year from now, I fully expect that to be a few years away. But yeah, when he is gone, whether it's Love or somebody else, we can expect a period of mediocrity unless we get lucky and find the next Favre or Rodgers. If not, two mediocre years might be decidedly the low end.

What absolutely isn't gonna happen, though, is that lacking financial means either in actual funds or cap-wise.
    Financial means to do what?
    I agree they won't put themselves in a cap situation like the Saints - the team is run differently and smarter than that - but they have pushed a lot of money out and they will have to pay/absorb that eventually. It's likely they just plan to do that the year after Rodgers retires, but by then there may not be enough cap space to do anything except be shitty. If regular season wins matter so much to you I'd think you'd want to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    You know, Tex, he probably doesn't have to work until he's 67. I don't think he needs his full social security.
    Who do you mean? Rodgers? 67 is a bit of a stretch, even 57. I wouldn't be surprised if he could still be effective at 47 - just a couple years beyond Brady. Not saying he would, but coul;d? Probably. How did you get off onto that aspect of the topic anyway?

runpMc, you sort of have to ask Fritz that. He brought up "financial means". I'll just say, there are two sides to it: actual money and the salary cap. Say if Elon Musk owned a team, he'd never be short of money, but he'd still have the cap. The Packers aren't like Musk, but they are never gonna run out of actual money due to the corporate structure and all the extra revenue coming in. And as I always say, the cap can always be handled - just look at that chart in somebody's earlier post. The "cap hell" teams are the consistent winners, while the teams doing like some of ya'all would like are perennial losers - Bears, etc.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Who do you mean? Rodgers? 67 is a bit of a stretch, even 57. I wouldn't be surprised if he could still be effective at 47 - just a couple years beyond Brady. Not saying he would, but coul;d? Probably. How did you get off onto that aspect of the topic anyway?

runpMc, you sort of have to ask Fritz that. He brought up "financial means". I'll just say, there are two sides to it: actual money and the salary cap. Say if Elon Musk owned a team, he'd never be short of money, but he'd still have the cap. The Packers aren't like Musk, but they are never gonna run out of actual money due to the corporate structure and all the extra revenue coming in. And as I always say, the cap can always be handled - just look at that chart in somebody's earlier post. The "cap hell" teams are the consistent winners, while the teams doing like some of ya'all would like are perennial losers - Bears, etc.
    Nobody wants to be like the Bears. They have no cap issues because they don't have good players they need to keep.

Packers can sign anyone the want every free agency period because the cap doesn't really matter at all. They can just do some financial moves and it's all good. Why the hell don't they sign the top free agent options every single year? Idiots.

To those who say "the cap can be cooked" -- it can, but not to an unlimited extent. The restructuring they are currently doing will cost them next year. Rodgers -- if he's back -- has a $59M bonus. If he retires after next season he has a Post-June 1 22.7M cap hit in 2024 and a 45.4M cap in 2025. That's on top of the restructured money you just kicked to 2024. What happens when you've kicked out 40-50M of money taking up 20% of your 2024 salary cap? What happens if you kick it further out, piling on top of the 45M Rodgers would count?

Cook away, sooner or later you won't be able to field a team (see: Bears).

If you only look at the team for 2023, they are better off at QB with Rodgers. If you look at the team over the next 3 years they are better off without him and giving Love a shot.
    If he sucks you don't have to exercise his 5th year option and are likely drafting Caleb Williams or Drake May (both better prospects IMO than Jordan Love).
    If he doesn't suck you have your next QB and can use the 5th year option to buy time to hammer out an extension. Either way, if Rodgers is gone you'd have the cap space to do it. You don't right now.

sharpe's sarcasm actually sounded pretty good hahahaha, and runpMc saved me the trouble by replying just about what I would have, in the first line anyway. That horror scenario is exactly why I see Rodgers staying for at least the rest of his current contract, maybe longer.

The Bears actually WILL field a team, and they probably will win a few games hahahahaha. As you say, their cap problems are NOT the reason they still suck - perennially.

NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY they would be better off the next three years without Rodgers than with him. And if they consider him worthy, they absolutely could keep Love beyond his rookie contract - assuming Love doesn't just insist on going somewhere else.

sharpe's sarcasm actually sounded pretty good hahahaha, and runpMc saved me the trouble by replying just about what I would have, in the first line anyway. That horror scenario is exactly why I see Rodgers staying for at least the rest of his current contract, maybe longer.

The Bears actually WILL field a team, and they probably will win a few games hahahahaha. As you say, their cap problems are NOT the reason they still suck - perennially.

NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY they would be better off the next three years without Rodgers than with him. And if they consider him worthy, they absolutely could keep Love beyond his rookie contract - assuming Love doesn't just insist on going somewhere else.
    My earlier post, which you asked about, came about as a result of your many posts which suggest Rodgers could yet play and play and play for years and years. So I started thinking about Rodgers being elderly and still trying to suit up, and I thought, why would anyone do that to themselves? And the reason, for most of us, is that we have to work for a long time to qualify for full social security so we can retire. So it made me laugh to think of Rodgers keeping on and on and on because he needed to get to full social security age.

So it was just the workings of my strange mind. I tried to find an age-progression picture of Rodgers looking like an old, old man to supplement my post, but couldn't find one.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Rodgers will NOT be playing for GB in 2025.
    He's been having to take time for the last 3-4 off seasons to decide if he wants to keep playing, how many times do you think he's going to do that before he hangs it up? How many times will he do that before the FO says 'Nope'?
    His contract is going to end up being an absolute albatross that will force them into rebuilding mode, simply because they won't have cap space to sign/keep most of their best players.

Beyond the mental and political aspects of him playing 3 more seasons, there's the physical part of it -- dude did not look like he was having a lot of fun out for most of last year, and he did not seem to enjoy getting hit in the cold. His arm is still ok, but his legs are not there. I don't think he would be willing to change his style to be a quick throw pure pocket passer a la Brady, that's not what made him special anyway.

He might announce on McAfee that he's done (he isn't). If he has two seasons left in him, I'd be surprised.
    Sorry Fritz. If he needs scotch money, he can always sell his share of the Bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    If you only look at the team for 2023, they are better off at QB with Rodgers. If you look at the team over the next 3 years they are better off without him and giving Love a shot.
    If he sucks you don't have to exercise his 5th year option and are likely drafting Caleb Williams or Drake May (both better prospects IMO than Jordan Love).
    If he doesn't suck you have your next QB and can use the 5th year option to buy time to hammer out an extension. Either way, if Rodgers is gone you'd have the cap space to do it. You don't right now.
    That's not true, though. They won't have the 2023 season to evaluate to see if they should or shouldn't exercise his 5th year option. They have to decided that THIS offseason, before seeing how he'd do if they turned the reigns over to him in '23.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    That's not true, though. They won't have the 2023 season to evaluate to see if they should or shouldn't exercise his 5th year option. They have to decided that THIS offseason, before seeing how he'd do if they turned the reigns over to him in '23.
    Yeah, but it's not until May 3, and I suspect they know whether they want to or not. It's a question of if they can.
    They won't be able to afford both Rodgers and Love's 5th year option without some major cap gymnastics.
    If Rodgers comes back for one more season and then retires and they don't exercise Love's 5th year option they have nobody at QB and Rodgers retirement cap hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    My earlier post, which you asked about, came about as a result of your many posts which suggest Rodgers could yet play and play and play for years and years. So I started thinking about Rodgers being elderly and still trying to suit up, and I thought, why would anyone do that to themselves? And the reason, for most of us, is that we have to work for a long time to qualify for full social security so we can retire. So it made me laugh to think of Rodgers keeping on and on and on because he needed to get to full social security age.

So it was just the workings of my strange mind. I tried to find an age-progression picture of Rodgers looking like an old, old man to supplement my post, but couldn't find one.
    Because ultimately, it's a fun kids game, and (I testify first hand) you don't stop enjoying fun kids stuff just because you get old. And I say again, he could, barring serious injury, play effectively as long or longer than Brady did. True about not working to Social Security age (although I have a job about 3-4 hours a week even at age 75), but IMO, playing football is more fun than work. Who among us wouldn't if we could?

runpMc, I sure didn't see what you saw - a guy not having fun. Maybe due to injury or uncharacteristic lack of success at times, but in general no. And he went out of his way to demonstrate that his legs ARE still plenty good, at least for his age. And saying NOT in all caps/being so definite about indefinite things, I told my oldest grandson when he was 12, about 15 years ago now, always say "it seems" or "probably" or "IMO" because if you say something like you know for sure and you're wrong, you're basically lying.

And "major cap gymnastics" are like shit - they HAPPEN regularly, not to mention the hugely increasing cap.

Yeah, but it's not until May 3, and I suspect they know whether they want to or not. It's a question of if they can.
    They won't be able to afford both Rodgers and Love's 5th year option without some major cap gymnastics.
    If Rodgers comes back for one more season and then retires and they don't exercise Love's 5th year option they have nobody at QB and Rodgers retirement cap hit.
    But that's not what you said. Your post said "if Love sucks, then........." The point is, they're gonna have to make that option decision BEFORE they really know if he sucks or not. They're not going to learn anything new between in the next 2 months.

If Rodgers is the starting QB for GB in 2025 -- three years from now -- I will buy Vikings season tickets. That's how sure I am. If I'm wrong, it's not lying, it's because a very, very low probability event came true.
    Has nothing to do with lying/honesty.

Football is a fun kids game until 310 pound men want to smash into you at 18+ mph and plant you under the turf repeatedly, and then have the public scrutinize your every move. It's a fun game, but it's a business at that level. There were numerous times last year the telecast showed him either yelling at receivers and coaches or giving them death stares. Dude was frustrated, often. Maybe that's because they lost 9 games and might have played bad enough to lose a few others, but when you're not having fun doing that it makes you not want to work all year and go through it again. I simply don't think Rodgers is mentally or physically prepared to go thru that for 3 more years. He's a tough guy and a FHOF but at some point soon he'll decide he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    But that's not what you said. Your post said "if Love sucks, then........." The point is, they're gonna have to make that option decision BEFORE they really know if he sucks or not. They're not going to learn anything new between in the next 2 months.
    OK, so if Love sucks and Rodgers is gone -- if they have him on the 5th year they have a sucky QB who can bridge to their next QB they got in the draft.
    If he sucks and he's NOT on the 5th year, they start over with a new QB.
    If he's great and he's not on the 5th year they have to compete with others to sign him, which could be iffy considering they made him sit for 3 years and he clearly wants to play.
    etc.

It's true they will have to decide on the 5th year option without having seen him play much.
    I do think they already know if Love is good or not and will option him depending on what happens with Rodgers.
    I don't see how they can 5th year option him AND afford a 59M payout for Rodgers on their cap. We'll probably know what they're doing with Rodgers before they decide on Love.

They will exercise the 5th option regardless. They are not going to let him walk after this next season should rodgers return.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    They will exercise the 5th option regardless. They are not going to let him walk after this next season should rodgers return.
    You know the 5th year option for a Qb is already over 20 million?

That’s a lot for a guy who we still might not know if he can play or not if Eric comes back

And at that point, you’ve squandered away the best reason for drafting a QB early, getting a few good years of cheap QB play

If Rodgers is the starting QB for GB in 2025 -- three years from now -- I will buy Vikings season tickets. That's how sure I am. If I'm wrong, it's not lying, it's because a very, very low probability event came true.
    Has nothing to do with lying/honesty.

Football is a fun kids game until 310 pound men want to smash into you at 18+ mph and plant you under the turf repeatedly, and then have the public scrutinize your every move. It's a fun game, but it's a business at that level. There were numerous times last year the telecast showed him either yelling at receivers and coaches or giving them death stares. Dude was frustrated, often. Maybe that's because they lost 9 games and might have played bad enough to lose a few others, but when you're not having fun doing that it makes you not want to work all year and go through it again. I simply don't think Rodgers is mentally or physically prepared to go thru that for 3 more years. He's a tough guy and a FHOF but at some point soon he'll decide he's done.
    hahahahahaha Well, at least you prefaced it with "I don't think ....." - you're making progress. Three years is actually the end of the glorious current contract, right? I wouldn't bet too much against you on that. Many in here and otherwise think he will be gone 1 or 2 or even 3 years sooner. Your premise is actually the moderate idea. If you turn out to be right, we should have three wonderful years, and then a penalty to pay in dead money or whatever. The cap will be through the roof by then anyway, though, and without Rodgers, the team just might go down for a few years, so "cap hell" would hardly be noticed. I tend to think, though, that the more likely scenario is that after the three years, Rodgers comes back for 2 or 3 moreon a cap friendly contract and at a slightly lower total pay due to a slight downturn in quality of play at the age he will be then.

I said "fun game" and we all "would if we could". That "would if we could" kinda implies we are the 310 pounders ourselves or we have the athleticism to handle the situation and/or ability to thrive based on talent. That would be kinda fun, wouldn't it?

And thinking you know what's in Rodgers' heart and mine, that's a slippery slope too. Admittedly, I do it too, but of course, when I do it, it's eminently logical rather than intentionally stirring up trouble (the media shitheads) or believing those media shitheads (many in here). I've seen some of those "looks" and "death stares" (your words) too. In addition to being deserved in some cases, they plus the "yelling" could just as well be corrective and thus improving to the young players. I'll put Rodgers as a teammate up against just about anybody else on any team, way better than for example, Tom Brady.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 02-28-2023 at 04:07 PM.

Peter Bukowski Retweeted
    Kassidy Hill
    @KassidyGHill

Is there a scenerio where Allen Lazard is with the Packers this season?

Gutekunst: “Oh sure, yes.”
    A year ago this time a lot of people around here thought Aaron Jones was done in Green Bay. Still hope.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I said last season it was slam dunk sure Jones stayed, and I say now, there's a strong chance Lazard stays too - 60/40, maybe 70/30.

There's another bunch of articles saying Rodgers is probably gone hahahaha. Are people in here really stupid enough to believe that media shit? I suppose some are.

There's another bunch of articles saying Rodgers is probably gone hahahaha. Are people in here really stupid enough to believe that media shit? I suppose some are.
    I'm just listening to Gute's and AR's comments the last two days. AR has made his decision from the sounds of it. It seems Gute has too. The only question is whether they can agree on how to part ways that works for both sides. Just trying to read through what AR has said, I think he's going to another team: will GB let him go where he wants? His options are not nearly as good as the last two years. It is possible that he is thinking of retiring, but I'm assuming not. It's hard not to think that San Fran is his real choice: would GB ever let that happen? It will be interesting to see where he goes; and that will be known within two weeks imo.