Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
The there's the obvous-but-still-worth-saying that the value of the picks depends on how good those picks are. Which I suppose is why we all want Guter to not get a third round pick.

So when TT traded back to get an extra fourth rounder in order to drop down, pass on TJ Watt, and take Kevin Schwing instead, he chose Vince Biegel with that fourth rounder.

Pukey trade all around.

But when TT traded down to get an extra fourth rounder in 2008, that guy he picked when he dropped down was Jordy Nelson. The extra fourth rounder was some crummy DE (Jeremy Thompson? Something like that). The extra pick was a bust, but Nelson of course was not.

So we will all moan when the Packers "only" get two fourths and a third next year or something, but it depends on what Guter does with them. Sure, a first gives you a better chance at a big hit, but it's not a guarantee. See Sherrod, Derrick, and Harrell, Justin. Amongst many others.
I don't think that's the right way to look at it. If you trade a first rounder for a second rounder straight up, it's a bad trade. I don't care whether the team picking in thr second round gets lucky and thev end up with the better player. It's a bad trade.